• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

What makes a level good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrust

That one confused guy.
I thought about starting a level pack (and possibly doing one for Halloween this year) I have a concept, music, and all the required programs. What I lack, is the experience. Im new to level designing, and this would be my first, so my question is as the topic title states. What do you find makes a good level? What are the things besides the concept, that set it above the rest?

My main thing that I look for in my levels when I'm making them is how much I enjoy it. If I enjoy my own levels, then chances are others will too.

Granted, I realize that's incredibly vague. The only thing I can possibly suggest is to play lots of other people's maps while making lots of your own. As you make your own maps, you'll be looking at other people's maps differently and learning things from their maps and taking them into your own. Over time, you'll also develop your own style.

This takes time, though. It took me a year before I made what felt like my first real level. I still don't think I have a complete grip on making a good level, even after four or so years off and on. Mostly off. If you're not putting in all this time because you're enjoying it, you absolutely won't. With your Halloween deadline, it sounds like you're just going to push yourself so much it's going to be a chore. Relax, open doombuilder, and have fun with it.

Last edited:
My main thing that I look for in my levels when I'm making them is how much I enjoy it. If I enjoy my own levels, then chances are others will too.
Arguably even more important is the inverse of this statement. If there's some part of your level that you find tiresome or annoying or nowhere near as good as you were hoping it would be, you can be pretty sure that other people won't like it either. If you can't please yourself, you can't expect to please others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back