SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > SRB2 Forum Archives

Old 04-14-2009   #701
Dr.Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesword221
Different Nights mode sprites to show who you are playing as. I even know how it could work. When a player goes into Nights mode they get put into there superform. If the player doesn't have a super form then take there special ablites side sprites and make them yellow.
Take one look at the drill.dta file (Or my Sol Emerald WAD.) in a lump editor, it's not that easy. >_>

TailsRE WIP Topic!
Old 04-14-2009   #702
Chaos Zero 64

If you have photoshop, or any program that can rotate sprites at specific angles, then it's actually easy. It just takes time. I know because I've done NiGHTS sprites to all the riders sprites.

Once you have one straight flying sprite, you just rotate it and then clean it. It's a total of 9 sprites, so it's not that bad. The less shading the sprite has, the easier it is to clean it after it got rotated.

And anyone who can code can easily make skins use NiGHTS sprites. The actual player uses a NODRAW flag, and brings in the Super Sonic sprites. You just need to remove that flag, and tell duplicate the flying code so that the player uses it as well.
Old 04-15-2009   #703
Dr.Pepper

If you use RotSprite, like I did for BlazeRE's NiGHT's sprites, there's actually little to no cleaning up necessary. I just had to straighten out her eyelashes and some lines of shading, in a few frames. I was able to finish her NiGHT's animations (including the drill sprites) and compile it all into a WAD within a day.

Anyway, what I should have said was that it isn't as easy as letting the graphics renderer actually rotate the super form's side sprite. You have to draw the necessary angles yourself.

TailsRE WIP Topic!
Old 04-17-2009   #704
Cheese
the Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybones69
Eliminate the Thok. It makes the game feel less like the classic. It could be kept for custom characters or be replaced with the ability to use shields for abilities.
If we do this then what the hell would Sonic's advantage be over the other characters? Sure, this worked when the games were 2D, but it's completely different when you get into the 3D perspective.
This isn't the discussion topic :P

Anyways
Instead of eliminating it make it slower.
There will probably be a way to make it slower.
Old 04-18-2009   #705
Srb2kirbyo
Goes by Kirboy in netgames

Why should they make it slower?

Sonic is all about speed.
Thokking gives him speed.
Just learn to control it.
[Lumo]my ipod is flawle-
-----
[Lumo] Sorry ipod froze there.
Old 04-18-2009   #706
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

The biggest problem is that it turns circuits and time attacks into total thokfests. I really don't think users should have to rely on thokking to compete against other Sonic users, because it essentially becomes "tap the button fastest to win", which is a retarded technique for any game to promote.

It should at most be as fast as Sonic's maxspeed, but I would honestly suggest for it to be a bit slower. There should be a time to thok, and there should be a time to run.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
Old 04-18-2009   #707
ZeldaGamer00
That guy who does things

(inb4 Mystic comes in and says "Any speed slower than the thok is too damn slow.")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Warrior
The biggest problem is that it turns circuits and time attacks into total thokfests. I really don't think users should have to rely on thokking to compete against other Sonic users, because it essentially becomes "tap the button fastest to win", which is a retarded technique for any game to promote.
Another example would be the running game in DDR extreme, which is whoever has the controller with Turbo wins every time.

Quote:
It should at most be as fast as Sonic's maxspeed, but I would honestly suggest for it to be a bit slower. There should be a time to thok, and there should be a time to run.
Agreed. It'd add a tiny bit of strategy to SRB2 and majorly level the playing field for Knuckles and Tails.
Old 04-18-2009   #708
Torgo

There is already a strategy of thoking at the correct time. In a race you should try to aim your thoks carefully so you can achieve the best time by cutting corners and such. I think precisely aiming your thoks while still trying to be fast is the most fun in race. Thoking in a certain way can be risk taking which makes the race more satisfying.
Old 04-18-2009   #709
Jazz

I've said this billions of times before, it is the maps not the characters. In long flat open areas (which is nearly every circuit map ever created,) Sonic is going to reign supreme, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Warrior
On the flip side, put yourself on a map with difficult platforming and watch Tails players navigate the map faster while flying over any and all difficult sections because they can "tap the button fastest to win" just as well as anyone else. In such cases, playing Sonic and "tapping your button" takes far more skill than anything else this game has to offer. Because the Sonic player can be crippled by missing a single jump, while a Tails player will have flown clear over it.
Old 04-18-2009   #710
Cyan Ryan

Where does this put Knuckles?

In before Spazzo comes in with his "knux pride" thing and rants.
Old 04-18-2009   #711
:SonicMaster:
<0>_<0>

Or, you could make a vertical level and use Linedef Executors with Charability to vertically blockade Knuckles and Tails from even finishing the map. Yeah, that's cheap, but it would stop it from being a thokfest or a flyfest.
Old 04-18-2009   #712
Cheese
the Food

Whoops, I didn't even mean to post that. I thought Autosaver was talking about this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawfulfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome
Thing that hang from the ceiling that can be hung on.
I think they're already putting that in.
Old 04-23-2009   #713
Chimera
Your best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike
very very close afterimages to characters going at running speed, to emulate the effect of blurring.
I'd second that, but I wont because of Software's cruddy Semi-transparent workings. :/

It'd be good for speed shoes, tho.
Old 04-24-2009   #714
Kaysakado

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb2kirbyo
Those ability rings are rings right?

So is it possible to make them attractive to the elec shield?
God shield is already OP, don't make it worse.
Old 04-24-2009   #715
JEV3
There and back again~

Besides that, it wouldn't actually make sense for the gameplay because the ammo rings don't add to the actual ring count and therefore are not part of the strategic purpose of the Attraction Shield. You are still wiping the map clean of rings the other player can use, and collecting ammo through the current system generally works rather well without the need for the Attraction Shield to have any effect on it.

~The Greatest Adventure: Ballad of the Hobbit
Old 04-24-2009   #716
Srb2kirbyo
Goes by Kirboy in netgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEV3
because the ammo rings don't add to the actual ring count and therefore are not part of the strategic purpose of the Attraction Shield.
Really? In current version it does,or so I thought

Quote:
God shield is already OP, don't make it worse.
What is God shield and OP mean?
[Lumo]my ipod is flawle-
-----
[Lumo] Sorry ipod froze there.
Old 04-24-2009   #717
Chimera
Your best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb2kirbyo
What is God shield and OP mean?
IIRC God Shield is the "God mode." And OP = Over Powered.
Old 04-24-2009   #718
JEV3
There and back again~

The God Shield is a nickname for the Attraction Shield.

Also, if by current version you mean the 1.09.4 system, you must keep in mind that the new system is quite different. Match and everything in it has changed quite substantially for the better. For the first time you can strike a balance between strategy and the typical confusion of the SRB2 multiplayer outside of CTF, due to the new weapon system. There is far more motivation to travel the map and use the weapons to your advantage than to camp and blitz (though these still exist in some respects, they are more reasonable and generally beneficial to gameplay).

There has actually been a rather comprehensive topic released with regards to the subject HERE, which you have likely seen already but serves also as a proper depiction of how very different it has come to be.

~The Greatest Adventure: Ballad of the Hobbit
Old 04-25-2009   #719
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWarrior
Mere graphics and palette modifications should not make the game modified. Whether the end user decides to add it to their game or not when joining a server, the game should still be able to run normally; 3drend.dll is proof.
They should. The reason is that you could, if you wanted to, make a graphics modification that made every player in the game a bright red hitbox against the background of entirely black walls with white hazards. I consider this cheating, personally. That's why graphics modifications should modify the game.
Old 04-25-2009   #720
Kaysakado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWarrior
Mere graphics and palette modifications should not make the game modified. Whether the end user decides to add it to their game or not when joining a server, the game should still be able to run normally; 3drend.dll is proof.
They should. The reason is that you could, if you wanted to, make a graphics modification that made every player in the game a bright red hitbox against the background of entirely black walls with white hazards. I consider this cheating, personally. That's why graphics modifications should modify the game.
This argument would hold if there actually ways to camoflauge yourself. In a brightly colored game like this, there aren't, and I think having all the walls colored the same would actually be harder to see.