Custom Abilities Suggestion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatian

KartKrew™
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Now, for all of you people complaining about a lack of options, I have an assignment for you. For the character system to be interesting, we need lots of interesting abilities, particularly jump+jump abilities, like the thok and flight. Instead of saying "you guys take away all our options", I'd like to see you people come up with simple, interesting NEW options we could add instead of the same old QQ. We're not changing it back, let's see you guys make the best of it.

So, lets all post balanced abilities to add into the game. I'll start.

Insta Sheild - Replaces the spindash. Pressing the spindash button will create a small sheild that can protect you from damage from projectiles, it can be used on the ground or in the air.

Lasting time - Quarter of a second
Cooldown time - 3 Seconds

In general, I'd like to remind everyone of two things when suggesting abilities:

* Simple abilities are better than exceedingly complicated ones. Good designs are easy to understand and describe.
* The new system requires you replace something when you add an ability. This means that "passive" abilities like the old runonwater do not fit into the new system.

With that, I completely encourage this thread. Hopefully some actually decent ideas can come out of this.

Reopened for the clarity of having all this type of content in the same place.

Perhaps a faster glide that descends slower, though it can only used in a single direction- no other midair repositioning.

If that's too much of a compromise, then climbing could simply be disabled.

Bubble bounce. See Sonic 3&K's water shield.

A jump cancel that sets the player's horizontal speed to 0 and immediately thoks him/her downward.

High jump. See SRB2JTE's ability for Metal Sonic. Alternatively, SRB2JTE Amy's high jump.

Infinite breathing time. See SRB2JTE's ability for Metal Sonic.

I'm so original.

I'm not sure which abilities already exist, so I'm just going to list some:

Insta-shield: Double-Jump ability. Uses the old Force Shield projectile reflection.
High-Jump: Spin ability. Basically acts as a yellow spring. Uses the falling frames, meaning you can't attack with this ability.
Shrink: Spin ability. Allows the character to switch between being small and normal size. Not really sure what it could be used for, but I'm guessing someone could find a use.
Grow: Spin ability. Reverse of Shrink.
Teleport: Spin sets a teleport point, Double-Jump teleports to that point. Or you could just have Spin set the point, and Spinning again would take you to it. Basically it's like the Translocator from Unreal Tournament, or Demonic Circle from WoW.
Fake-Out: Spin ability. The character throws a fake ring that cannot cause damage. Does not require rings to use.

Blink: Short range forwards teleport. Like Shadow's aerial ability from Sonic Battle.

Running Charge: Can move around while charging a spindash.

Cloak: Become invisible/transparent for a brief period of time (no longer than 5 seconds). Throwing a ring, or being hit by an enemy's ring, cancels the effect.

Guard: Absorbs a single attack, but must be timed precisely with an incoming attack to work.

Slam: Thoks directly into the ground, knocking over (but not damaging) enemies in the immediate area. Can kill groundbound badniks in Single Player / Co-op.

Medic: Gives extra rings if the player's thrown rings hit an ally. Does not change effect against enemies.

Bouyancy: The character can float on the surface of water naturally, and can dive beneath as need be. Similar to Big's floatation device in SA1.

Wall run: Similar to climbing, but must maintain a constant horizontal movement (with small control over vertical). Fails when the player stops.

We need to re-add the "gliding without climbing" move from the last version...

Thok w/ Wall jump- normally this works like Sonic's regular ability. If you thok at a wall, you stick to it, allowing you to jump off of it to repeat the process to 'climb' between two parallel walls.

Thok w/ Climb- thok onto a wall to climb on it like Knuckles would.

Slow roll- Disables Spindashing from a standstill, but you can roll if you are at running speeds.

Reckless speed- press both the spin and jump buttons in midair, you will lose all of your rings, but you will get a speedshoes effect. the more rings you have, the longer it lasts.

That's all I can think of now...

Ground-Pound: Sort of like a Thok directed straight down. When you hit the ground, it creates a shockwave.

Fast Swim: A version of Gliding that only works underwater. You would also be able to jump much higher underwater, too.

Dig: The ability to dig through special FOFs. When doing this ability, if any applicable FOFs are beneath you, they will shatter. It would replace Spindash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all of these are abilities, but have to do with adding variety to the character system.

First off, uncap the speed limit, but make it so that the higher you go, the more your acceleration/accelstart is capped, and vice versa.

Automatically going into jumping frames upon falling, and maybe while on a spring.

Instant death from any attack - however, turning this on automatically gives a character huge benefits - the runspeed/acceleration relation would be much less strict, and you can have a really high run speed and still decent acceleration. And maybe some kind of bonus in Match/CTF, though I'm not sure what. Maybe a higher firing rate?

This is just in general, but make it so that while carrying the flag, you automatically have Sonic's attributes, because right now there's no reason to be Tails while carrying the flag, and the only reason you want to be Knuckles is if you need the high firing rate, which you rarely do.

Meleeattack 0/1 - allows you to attack players in Match/CTF by spinning/jumping into them. Perhaps that one ability that lets you instantly break breakable blocks could allow you to simply touch players to hurt them.

A new momentum based thok type - It multiplies your current speed by actionspeed, in percent. i.e., setting actionspeed to 125 would make you go at 1.25 your current speed upon thokking.

A thok that can be aimed up/down. It balances itself out in Match/CTF, since you can't thok forward while aiming up/down.

Selfdamage 0/1 - You take damage from your own weapons, this will mainly be for Bomb/Grenade/Bounce, but I'm sure idiots will find new and innovative ways to hit themselves with Rail or something. If you get hit by splash damage, and you're jumping, you still lose rings, but rather than going into hurt frames, you take high Knockback and go into your falling frames.

A much higher cap on jump height, but if you go over the current max, then your actionspeed is lowered depending on how high over you went. If you go too high, then you lose your ability altogether.

Bring back ringslinger and slingitem, but make it so that enemies don't get hurt by custom slingitems past 64 fracunits. This allows people to use ringslinger in creative ways and for melee weaponry, without making it a ranged attack that can destroy pretty much every robot in SP without effort.

Wow... If I'm actually the first to post this one... That's just pathetic...

Super Sonic Unleashed Boost Anyone? (Or... whatever it's called... <.<)
-It'd probably be an alternate to the Spin Dash... Which I gotta be honest, why does that have to be the only 2nd ability a character can have? It's got some customization to it, but not much...

Also, another idea that isn't simple, but I'd love to see. I gotta admit, I loved Silver in Sonic 2K6. His simplified telekinesis was easy to pick up and never got old. Something like that'd be nice... if at all possible.

And again... This one SHOULD be possible, but I'm not sure... But I'd like to see Rail-Grinding added too.

Hmm... What else...?

I'm gonna get killed for posting this on a Sonic forum... but Luma spin?- Not the one in the air, but the one on the ground.

Also, something like the Power Formation's A+A in SH would be a nice addition.

And this has nothing to do with character abilities... moreso with fairness... Crosshair return plz? :D

I want to see a method of unlocking abilities, mayhaps with each Chaos Emerald. This would plausibly stack with a SS Rotation system like in Sonic 1. Green Chaos Emerald unlocks another 10 fracunits of speed. Orange unlocks 5 fracunits of jump height. Purple unlocks 5 actionspd. Blue unlocks an automap. Red shows enemies and rings on the automap. Light Blue unlocks Signpost and starpost locations. Or something like that.

Secondly, insta-brake. When applied, you stop when you hit solid ground from a jump. This is more of an S_Skin variable, but what of it?

Next off, Magnetism. Not ring magnetism, but floor magnetism. If you run under a metallic ceiling, you gravity flip and run across the ceiling.

Dig: The ability to dig through special FOFs. When doing this ability, if any applicable FOFs are beneath you, they will shatter. It would replace Spindash.
Alternatively, you could have it throw you into a similar state as the digging badniks in the canyon level in SP - travelling under the ground immune to most attacks, but can't fire and leaves an obvious lump in the ground where the character is digging. Naturally, enemies can exploit this because the character is an easy, predictable target when he has to surface (once again I'd recommend a strict limit to how long you can tunnel), so that helps balance things out. btw I already stole your first suggestion =P

Straight Charge: Similar to the spindash, except it does not need to be charged, and cannot be controlled once executed.

Grapple Link: Attaches to things from a distance and pulls you towards them as long as the button is held down. This can also be used on other players to catch an easy lift through the air or keep pace with the bastard that just stole your flag.

Gravity Invert: The character can flip his own gravity orientation at will and walk on the cieling, like certain areas of ERZ would cause on players. Maybe with added multiability, allow multiple switches in midair for high jumps/basic flight.

Obstacle: Drops a destroyable object. Used to reduce visibility and slow down other players. Has a long recharge time.

Swoop: Dives a small distance towards the ground, then swoops back upwards to gain better height. Can be used as an attack to the same degree as Thokking (only in SP/Co-op).

Alternatively, you could have it throw you into a similar state as the digging badniks in the canyon level in SP - travelling under the ground immune to most attacks, but can't fire and leaves an obvious lump in the ground where the character is digging. Naturally, enemies can exploit this because the character is an easy, predictable target when he has to surface (once again I'd recommend a strict limit to how long you can tunnel), so that helps balance things out. btw I already stole your first suggestion =P
SRB2Dig.exe

So, lets all post balanced abilities to add into the game. I'll start.

Insta Sheild - Replaces the spindash. Pressing the spindash button will create a small sheild that can protect you from damage from projectiles, it can be used on the ground or in the air.

Lasting time - Quarter of a second
Cooldown time - 3 Seconds

I don't really like the insta shield idea on the ground. Could it be abused?

Slow air - While underwater, if you have this ability you will be able to survive in water 2X longer.

A quick turn-around for the Spindash key. Press spindash to reverse your momentum. (Works in mid-air, and possibly multiple times quickly.)

A slide move for Spindash. As long as it's held, you slide forward at a set speed. Can slide under blocks, but doesn't hurt. It'd be kind of like a ground-based thok combined with the ability to slide under boxes from the spindash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back