Battlefield: Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRB2-Playah

Ne'er-Do-Anythin'
Some of you have probably heard of the Battlefield series. A realistic team-based war first-person shooter game franchise that not only follows the wars of our past and present, but our future (Battlefield 2142).

Earlier this year, the makers of Battlefield announced that they are creating another game in the franchise. However, this is a game that is a very sharp turn away from the realistic, gritty, first-person war style of the previous Battlefield titles. This title is known as Battlefield: Heroes.

Battlefield: Heroes is a team-based third-person cartoon shooter game, to be released under EA's "Free 2 Play" model, meaning the game will be almost entirely free, aside from a few extra accessories you may buy for your character. (Revenue will also be generated by advertisements which will be limited to the game's main site and front-end, but will be kept away from actual in-game gameplay)

Notables:
It'll be downloadable entirely for free.
Third-person view (Though, first-person view may be added if people want it.)
Customization of your character's look, from their shoes to their hat. Also with extra things purchasable with points earned from playing, and also with your own real money.
3 classes. The Commando (The light and speedy sniper and spy,) the Soldier (The well-rounded one,) and the Gunner (The well-armed hard-to-kill one.)
There is some emphasis put onto the balance of gameplay, with even the vehicles not granting a great amount of advantage against foot-soldiers.
The opposing teams are the round, loose, Allied-esque Royal Army, and the angular, strict, Axis-esque National Army.
The weapons, vehicles and outfits seems to be mildly based in the WWII era, but I wouldn't say it's directly situated in WWII.

See the video trailers here.

The game is due sometime during the summer of this year.

So, what say you, people?
Is this a welcome change from the normally dark and scary setting found in most first-person shooter war-based games with complex classes and weapons, with a visually appealing cartoon style, made better only by the fact that it is completely free to download?
Or is this a bastardization of the Battlefield franchise that dumbs down the wide variety classes, weapons and vehicles normally found in the Battlefield games, with childish graphics that openly mock the heroes of the bloody and serious wars of our world, also being a clear rip-off of Team Fortress 2's visual style?

Me being the optimistic person I am, I'm more inclined to the former stance. Less inclined, more firmly placed. I simply cannot wait until the first release!

(Whew)

SRB2-Playah said:
Is this a welcome change from the normally dark and scary setting found in most first-person shooter war-based games with complex classes and weapons, with a visually appealing cartoon style...
tf2.jpg

SRB2-Playah said:
...made better only by the fact that it is completely free to download?
...oh, yeah, that. Um. Maybe?

SRB2-Playah said:
...also being a clear rip-off of Team Fortress 2's visual style?
...double oh.

But yeah, I'll wait for it to come out before I declare a verdict... although, first-person or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back