Bosses and Bots?

Ian123asd

Stuck on CEZ3
Is there any way to make new bosses? Is there a way to make bosses that run on the ground instead of flying? Also, can we make bots than are usable for netgames (basically how it works in SRB2JTE)?

Oh, and by the way, how do I edit the information of a pre-existing character (such as Sonic)?

Last edited:
Lua and even SOC should be able to make boss enemies that can have totally custom and very flexible behaviours (in the case of Lua).
For SOC I recommend checking this page from the Wiki to get started.
If you've ever used Lua, this pages explains how to define new objects like SOC
and a MobjThinker hook will let it perform all kinds of crazy actions.

I also recommend cracking open any mod that does something similar and take a look at their code, you can learn a thing or two. Just look up anything you don't understand on the SRB2Wiki since you'll most definitely find an answer there.

For bots, there is no in-game way to directly get a Tails bot to spawn in netgames, the only way that doesn't involve heavy (?) source code editing would be to code your own using Lua, which will prove tedious since player physics are weird to say the least and have a million of variables to take into account, and Lua may not necessarily have access to all of them. (The movement acceleration code itself is already a sight to behold)

To my knowledge there's no way to edit existing characters' stats through a seperate S_SKIN as it'll just create a new entry on the skin list instead (And to make it worse, Sonic's stats are hardcoded in the EXE itself). Lua is ALSO unable to edit the skin list directly so your only influence on stats would be editing player variables through Lua (like normalspeed, jumpheight etc etc)

Lua and even SOC should be able to make boss enemies that can have totally custom and very flexible behaviours (in the case of Lua).
For SOC I recommend checking this page from the Wiki to get started.
If you've ever used Lua, this pages explains how to define new objects like SOC
and a MobjThinker hook will let it perform all kinds of crazy actions.

I also recommend cracking open any mod that does something similar and take a look at their code, you can learn a thing or two. Just look up anything you don't understand on the SRB2Wiki since you'll most definitely find an answer there.

For bots, there is no in-game way to directly get a Tails bot to spawn in netgames, the only way that doesn't involve heavy (?) source code editing would be to code your own using Lua, which will prove tedious since player physics are weird to say the least and have a million of variables to take into account, and Lua may not necessarily have access to all of them. (The movement acceleration code itself is already a sight to behold)

To my knowledge there's no way to edit existing characters' stats through a seperate S_SKIN as it'll just create a new entry on the skin list instead (And to make it worse, Sonic's stats are hardcoded in the EXE itself). Lua is ALSO unable to edit the skin list directly so your only influence on stats would be editing player variables through Lua (like normalspeed, jumpheight etc etc)

Well, perhaps we could re-engineer the code from the enemy tutorial to make a bot? Also, by information I mean the short summary of the character you see at the select screen.

I always thought to do a similar thing like the classic games and make the A.I more-or-less copy your action a second later (so you jump from platform-to-platform and the bot does the same thing), perhaps in a way do something similar to a realtime demo recording or something like that, with the bot doing the actions whilst ingame.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back