Using a domain with my Windows Server 2k3 VPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys!

I know this is TOTALLY not the right place, but I've asked almost everywhere and everyone uses Linux on their dedicated/virtual private servers, leaving me in the minority.

Do any of you have any idea on how I may setup the .net domain I bought from whois.com (I know it doesn't matter what TLD and where I bought it from, but still) on my WS2k3 VPS? I have absolutely no idea, and nor do I have a control panel like Plesk - just RDP access and a basic panel through which I can shut down, power up and/or restart the VPS.

Avoiding the question of why the hell you'd want a WS2k3 VPS, all you really need to do is pop onto your registrar's domain control panel and edit the DNS records, set 2 A records, one for www and one for domain.net. (note the . at the end) to point to your VPS IP. Then just setup Apache (for the love of God *not* IIS) if you want a web server, since we're only dealing with one domain here you can literally run it out of the box and your domain will resolve to it (hopefully).

Do any of you have any idea on how I may setup the .net domain I bought from whois.com (I know it doesn't matter what TLD and where I bought it from, but still) on my WS2k3 VPS? I have absolutely no idea, and nor do I have a control panel like Plesk - just RDP access and a basic panel through which I can shut down, power up and/or restart the VPS.

Aye I do. Either Cue's way or the more 'professional' way would be to have another domain name with A records pointing to the VPS' IP address, then point the NS records of your main domain name to that other domain name.

Indeed, but then he needs to have a DNS server on his VPS and Windows doesn't have a very nice DNS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back