SRB2 gets advertised!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking the avatar rules does not make me very excited for whatever this may be. 150x231 is just plain unacceptable on almost ANY forum.

Edit: Holy crap...I just noticed it was 76 KB. Compression is your FRIEND...

>_> You're not helping...

And Mystic, it was png, i never use crappy jpg avatars, they are BAD for your reputation when you are a gfx person...

Omega, try reducing your avatar to 8bit color and then saving as a PNG. You'll see a big drop in size.

8bit color allows a max of 256 different colors, but 9360 is the max number of different colors you can have in a 65x144 image, and since most of your image is a solid color, I highly doubt you're exceeding the 256 limit.

My avatar is a GIF. But, it's still only 3,329 bytes big, with 32 colors, thanks to The Mighty GIMP. I mean, when you can get by with GIF, who need PNG compression? I'd *guess* that more browsers support GIF then PNG, so that's why I chose GIF.

*coughcoughinternetcoughexplorercoughcough*

You may get props for a 76 KB avatar in art circles, but in the "common sense" circle, you fail with such an insanely big avatar. JPEG isn't as bad as many people say it is if you aren't using text, and PNG can be lowered in filesize easily.

Personally, I think a slightly less than perfect avatar at 5 KB is much cooler than anything at 40 KB. Remember that people DO surf forums on dialup modems, and it's just common courtesy to keep the filesize of your avatar down.

hotdog003 said:
*coughcoughinternetcoughexplorercoughcough*

IE supports PNG just fine, as long as you use transparency, and not ALPHA/TRANSLUCENCY. Note how most of the msgboard graphics here have a transparent background, are PNG, yet display fine in IE.

Not to mention, unless you need it, using alpha also eats more bytes.

Mystic said:
You may get props for a 76 KB avatar in art circles, but in the "common sense" circle, you fail with such an insanely big avatar. JPEG isn't as bad as many people say it is if you aren't using text, and PNG can be lowered in filesize easily.
Yes: using only 10% of compression in JPEG, you have quality as an BMP, but with minus than half size (and I don't know why the drop is TOO BIG)!!! Check it first.

Yea hwell, it's not like i can do anything about it as Mystic removed my avatar controls. And i've seen stuff bigger then this and ppl getting away with it on this board.

logokas said:
Yea hwell, it's not like i can do anything about it as Mystic removed my avatar controls. And i've seen stuff bigger then this and ppl getting away with it on this board.
The avatar rules are the easiest things on the forum to enforce, so I assure you they are. Anyone who had a bigger avatar probably had it removed. I've got a list showing every person who took the one week avatar loss and the few people who lost it permanently. I can't help it if you didn't read the rules and broke them. I can give you the list of rules, but I certainly can't force you to read and obey them. That's your own darn fault.

From the rules:
Rules said:
6. Signatures and avatars are a privilege, not a right. Avatars should be 144x144 pixels or less. Signature lines should be about 100 pixels tall, at the maximum. Both the signature and avatar should add up to no more than 20 KB (20480 bytes).
I don't know how much more clear it has to be.

Mystic is a bit strict on avatars. I recall having my privileges removed for being about 6 square pixels over (and it wasn't even intentional). But the sheer size these things are ridiculous, doesn't anyone read rules anymore?

logokas said:
they are BAD for your reputation when you are a gfx person...
The odds of noticing "crappy" compression in a 144x144 pixel JPG are so low, you can afford to use it. I wouldn't care even if I DID notice. And I find it ridiculous that you think a "gfx person" needs to watch out for his reputation on the internets. To be blunt, I've never even heard of you. It's not like you're the coolest kid in school and you got caught in the comic book store looking at D&D stuff.

And as for the topic at hand, if I recall correctly SRB2 was to have an article in some magazine devoted to it before the magazine itself ... uh, stopped. Whatever it's called when they don't make more issues.

Finally some information. Thanks.

And it's true, i'm not too well known, only at my own communities like Mobius-X and a little at DA. But i do a good job, none the less.

As for the freakin' avatar, i'm not used to boards where it doesn't rezise the avatar by itself ( been on proboards and invision ) so yeh, sorry for the inconvinience, when i get my controls back, i'll try not to abuse it anymore.

logokas said:
Finally some information. Thanks.

And it's true, i'm not too well known, only at my own communities like Mobius-X and a little at DA. But i do a good job, none the less.

As for the freakin' avatar, i'm not used to boards where it doesn't rezise the avatar by itself ( been on proboards and invision ) so yeh, sorry for the inconvinience, when i get my controls back, i'll try not to abuse it anymore.
Those automatic image resizers don't actually change the filesize, generally, so the people on dialup will still have to load the full image. It's generally better to simply resize it yourself, because that way you'll have it look the way you want it to look, and it'll be a much smaller filesize as well.

Yeah, i know. I was referring to the size of it, not the filesize. I would have used my other avatar, but meh. Now it's sorta late already.

Tets said:
And as for the topic at hand, if I recall correctly SRB2 was to have an article in some magazine devoted to it before the magazine itself ... uh, stopped. Whatever it's called when they don't make more issues.
You mean this?
http://www.srb2.org/gamego.png

EDIT: Rather than posting the image, I linked to it. I looked like an ass posting such a large image in a topic while everyone is discussing the image sizes and stuff... ^^;

Well it wont help me too much, but thx.

Hmm... *looks at the editing section* SADX-SRB2...SASRB2...Quite a load of material here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back