• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Super Sonic 64 Mod (Third Beta Out!)

Do You Like The Idea?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, It's Stupid -.-

• Kind OF

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I played it, and I hate it.

Why? Okay, first off, the levels are extremely boring. They're too simple, too bland, and you mixmatch textures which don't even go with the feel of the surroundings (but they were alligned quite nicely, GJ). Secondly, some of the sprites and such look like they were drawn by an eight year old. Nothing is more fun to look at than a screwed up SM64 enemy. The only thing that's good about them is that it makes you want to destroy them, which is why they're there (to be destroyed, that is). Thirdly, I saw some of the structure, and saw a workaround for something that was avoided. What I mean is, for some areas of the levels, different approaches are possible with different sector/linedef types. Fourthly, the engine is average. It's nothing amazing, and I don't understand why you're bragging about it. Fiftly, I see lots of REDWALL. I know it's a beta, but come on, beta testers are supposed to report and try to fix that stuff. Lastly, everything feels rushed and overdone. What's the fun in that? It's not like 1.1 is going to be rushed.

In addition; some of the music (I noticed) is MIDI. You'd figure you would a music production program to touch them up with higher quality samples, but I guess the music department of this crew just rips stuff, right? No real work there.

There's your constructive criticism. Yeah, it's a beta, but I figure if I hate it this much, the final version isn't much to look forward to.

PBZ is redwall palace because someone removed everyhing I needed for my custom textures. >>

GVZ is kinda horrid for the sole reason that it was my first map. Ya know, still becoming farmiliar with the texture set and such. After looking at it for the crap that it was, I improved it vastly. You should've seen what it was before. Yes, most of the gimmicks are executed horribly, I know.

And uh, what constructive criticism? Nothing was level specific, and you're saying everything is horrible instead of suggestion how to fix anything. Heck, it doesn't even seem like you played all the levels. I'm sorry, your hate seems to have blinded you. :/

Actually, I did play all of the levels. Urgh, fine. I'll try to write something level specific. Sorry, but I'm usually busy on something and don't feel like writing a lot.

Edit: I'm too busy. I don't have to write anything level specific, anyway. I gave you my opinion, and what was wrong with it. That's all you needed. How do I figure? Well;

Releases Rules said:
R1. The releases section, and some topics in Editing, are designed to be used for constructive criticism. There seems to be some questions about what constitutes constructive criticism around here, so please use these helpful examples:
"This WAD is awful. Here's why: List" - Constructive. This clearly explains what is wrong with the WAD and even how it could be fixed.

"This WAD is awful." - Not constructive. This doesn't explain anything about the WAD, and simply states a useless opinion. Keep this junk off the forum.

"This WAD is awesome." - Not constructive. Just like the previous, this simply states a useless opinion. Mindless positive feedback is just as useless as mindless negative feedback.

"You are awful." - Not constructive. This is a direct flame of another user, and is strictly forbidden on all forums.

No, I do not have to explain how to fix anything, because that's the job of the people working on it. Isn't that a tie between beta testers and the creators? I would, but I'm not involved with this mod and don't want to be, although I probably could fix most of the problems.

Erm, what? Why are you posting? If you can't explain a better way to do it, then you're not helping. Chances are that the person who made the thing would've already fixed it because they knew how.

Also note that your bolded text contains the key word "clearly". Saying that the sprite looks like it was drawn by a eight year old isn't clear. Was it the shading? Howabout the outline? I'm sorry, your "constructive criticism" isnt' constructive enough to actually help. :/

My god, you two are so finicky.

Constructive criticism is more about telling the problems with the target moreso than going in-depth about the problems.

Segmint mentioned how the levels are boring. His supporting details were that they were too simple, bland, and had some texture mismatching problems. He also mentioned how the sprites look like they were made by an eight year old.

While I do agree it's not nearly the greatest quality criticism ever, he still told you why he thought it sucked. Clearly your levels are not interesting at all and have some confusing artistic design, and the quality of the sprites is irritating. He doesn't need to get totally nitty-gritty on things that appear obviously wrong to him.

You could've just private messaged me asking for the link, but meh it was very crappy. Although that doesn't mean that we've completely stopped working on it. Infact, rather recently it's beem getting some rather major improvements. Of course, I don't particularly plan to post any of that here for quite some time. Truthfully, I'd just like this thread to die, at least until I have something decent to show the public.

Monster Iestyn said:
This topic is a year old. The person who started this topic isn't even around anymore.
Actually, I have taken over the project and progress is being made, I just haven't exposed any yet. Although, when I actually get around to showing some of what I've done I'll make a new thread for it, instead of continuing this one.

Well, I initially planned to make the thread today or tomorrow (after contacting you via a PM) because I have done quite a lot. Unfortunatly, with this thread bumped it would kinda' seem redundant to have another topic about it on the same page. Anyway, do you actually have progress to show (please PM me with it if you do)?

ATM it's not worth showing. I only have a new GFZROCK, but I know exactly what I'm doing for the levels.

...by the way, don't even bother including any of my old levels in whatever you're going to be releasing. I'm making all of the new levels from scratch.

Also, don't sweat making a new topic. This one is really cluttered, not to mention you can update the new one yourself.

BlueZero4 said:
new GFZROCK
Crap. I also have a new GFZROCK texture (among others) that I was planning to use, but it doesn't really matter, both can be included. I'll send you a message containing my textures and stuff right now.

I don't think they're bad at all. My main gripe is how they're put together in the default SRB2 levels. For instance, I don't feel comfortable using the GFZROCK you sent me as the major texture in the new GVZ, although it's still decent. My GFZROCK is more like the old one, and I think it'll work better as a texture I can use in all of the level. I would use yours in as small decorations and details. Also, CAMOROCK pwns.

On a last note, I'm going to be including Nova's pics in the new Bittersweet, FYI.

Well, the way that I'm using the GFZROCK texture in Midnight Dunes Zone is much different than the way that it's actually used in SRB2. Instead of actually being a main texture, its used in abstract purposes, particularly puzzle like switch gimmicks.
BlueZero4 said:
Also, CAMOROCK pwns.
:D I'm glad you like it. I also do have some actual ideas for using this texture in game, it's not completely for novelty.
BlueZero4 said:
On a last note, I'm going to be including Nova's pics in the new Bittersweet, FYI.
That's fine. If you wanted, I'd probably be able to get some other pieces of artwork that could be used as textures.

Also BZ4, please send me what you have done whenever you manage to get a substantial amount finished (yes that includes your texture).

camo man said:
Well, the way that I'm using the GFZROCK texture in Midnight Dunes Zone is much different than the way that it's actually used in SRB2. Instead of actually being a main texture, its used in abstract purposes, particularly puzzle like switch gimmicks.
Then perhaps you'd like to move it to somewhere other than GFZROCK?

camo man said:
That's fine. If you wanted, I'd probably be able to get some other pieces of artwork that could be used as textures.
Well, the intention is that I'm simply remastering the old levels rather than making new ones. In that mindset, I think I'll be fine with the two I have.

camo man said:
Also BZ4, please send me what you have done whenever you manage to get a substantial amount finished (yes that includes your texture).
Expect a send once I finish GVZ. Also, I'll be sending all of my progress in one wad, so you'll be getting everything you'd need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back