vBulletin

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically, you are saying we should still be on sepwich without this dedicated server that costs Logan about $50 (Or something) a month? I am glad we are on this server. As it is, the license we purchased lets us use this software forever.

Reply to Sonict

So basically, you are saying we should still be on sepwich without this dedicated server that costs Logan about $50 (Or something) a month? I am glad we are on this server. As it is, the license we purchased lets us use this software forever.

No not the dedicated server, I was just saying that MyBB was free and worked fine, and it was questionable to pay $$ to upgade to proprietary software that does basically the same job.

Questionable, but then again I don't have any authority to say what decisions are made, so maybe I don't know every last detail that went into the decision.(like maybe moderation tools, stuff like that you guys would know from daily experience.)

The Dedicated server actually costs less in the long run (well until it gets old and needs replaced), but it would be a pretty long run, but when this game has lasted 11 years, it's safe to say we'll still be here far into the future, so that's a good move.

No not the dedicated server, I was just saying that MyBB was free and worked fine, and it was questionable to pay $$ to upgade to proprietary software that does basically the same job.

vB has a solid reputation for dealing with large databases and communities. When you run the forum of one of the most popular and complete Sonic fan game there is in existence, you've got to be prepared for the oncoming horde of the fans that want to post about it.

There's a similar reason why ubuntuforums also use vB over the freely available solutions.

We had lots of reasons why we chose vBulletin. I personally did want to use MyBB. However, when it boils down to it, vBulletin really does have a bunch of features that freeware MB software like MyBB doesn't have yet. That is why we went with vBulletin.

$99 a month for the server, as an FYI.

$99 a month? :O I've seen cheaper. What do you get with this $99 per month package? (eg. How many MySQL Databases, PHP 5, etc.)

I'm thinking of getting a domain of my own. What's the cheapest as of now?

We had lots of reasons why we chose vBulletin. I personally did want to use MyBB. However, when it boils down to it, vBulletin really does have a bunch of features that freeware MB software like MyBB doesn't have yet. That is why we went with vBulletin.

Yes, MyBB is really good for some forums, but vBulletin is better for others. It really depends on what plug-ins and features you want to use. I use MyBB, FYI.

Last edited:
Aled, you're thinking of hosting packages, we have an entire server to ourselves, 1.5tb bandwidth, 500gb HDD, Phenom Quad Core clocked at 2.3Ghz (I think...).

That's damn cheap.

That data center isn't too far from where I live.
And that's why I have a good ping to the Master Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back