best 3d games with 2d sprites?

Mocha112

faker
I was looking for suggestions on some pretty good 3d games with 2d sprites. something like trails in the sky or chantelise or even the very game that these fourms are made for, srb2. I love the effect, so does anyone have any suggestions for games that fit the bill?

Last edited:
Technically Shovel Knight fits the bill. There's also Octopath Traveler, as well as Xenogears. Not to mention the ten thousand or so early FPS games.

Here's a pretty good suggestion in my book,
snap the sentinel because it's a 3D fps game with sprites only (to my knowledge)

Edit- yeah it actually has models but it's still a good game.

Klonoa is a PS1 classic, with really cute sprites to boot! It's one of the first games that pop into my head when one says 2.5D~ Tombi/Tomba is also another PS1 platformer which I recommend. You also mentioned Chantelise, and the same devs also made Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale! It's a good RPG and something I should probably go back to someday...

There's also Under Night In-Birth if you're into fighting games! It's simple to learn IMO compared to the similar BlazBlue, and the music and aesthetics are just cooler to me- and of course, the two cross over in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle!

Fully agree with Morphized. Technically, Shovel knight - 3D game. And I really like the way the sprites are drawn.

Certain early 3D titles, even if their main characters are polygons, tended to use sprites for certain common object placements like items or small enemies, typically as a means of keeping the visual clarity of a far-away object without using any excess polygons; see Chameleon Twist. It was also really common back then for sprites of colored spheres to be used in tandem with other sprites or polygons to create certain characters that have rounder and more simplified body types. Many of the characters and objects in Bomberman 64 seem to be a good example of composite characters in action, and I believe many enemies in Kirby 64 and Super Mario 64 follow this method in well. Only other good example I can think of is Paper Mario, and they specifically amplify the "2D" nature of their characters by literally flipping them like paper whenever a character turns direction. Technically valid, but it's a different feel.

Outside of that, it seems to be pretty rare outside of the Doom space. Largest contributor to this is probably the fact that making multiple animations in 5-8 angles that are high enough quality to be considered "acceptable" is kind of a nightmare unless you're condensing a lot of the animation work that would be necessary in some way.

Some of the WayForward games, specifically Ducktales and Shantae, could be considered on the list, and Bug Fables' visual style is roughly the same as Paper Mario's. That's all I can think of for recent titles.

Last edited:
Its a real technicality but Mario & Luigi Dream Team and Paper Jam have 3d environments and 2d sprites. Both are great games though.

Doom (1993) and Doom II, Ys (Napishtim, Felghana and Origin) and Radiant Silvergun.

maybe Paper Mario (2001)

I honestly think Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door (PMTTYD) is a better game, but I respect your opinion and the first Paper Mario is still a good game. But hey, I like Super Paper Mario, so what am I talking about?

I honestly think Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door (PMTTYD) is a better game, but I respect your opinion and the first Paper Mario is still a good game. But hey, I like Super Paper Mario, so what am I talking about?

You listed the good ones lmao

Ys VI, Ys Oath in Felghana, and Ys Origins are action-RPGs that use a mixture of sprites and 3d models. They're pretty fun and challenging games.

Ys VI, Ys Oath in Felghana, and Ys Origins are action-RPGs that use a mixture of sprites and 3d models. They're pretty fun and challenging games.
Ark of Napishtim is kinda clunky compared to the other two but it's still a cool game.

People were kinda disappointed toward Seven and the sequels (even if Lacrimosa is one of the best entry in the series).
I kinda miss the chibi pre-rendered models.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back