Deep Glacial (v1.7) (Go to Nova Pack for newest update)

Novaphyer

Based on Deep Rock Galactic's Glacial Strata comes; Deep Glacial! Where Black Ice* is commonplace, darkness aplenty, and icicles galore! Get launched by the heat pits and swerve through slippery dangers!

Can you brave the Deep Glacial Zone?

*Black Ice is only visual, acts like normal Ice physics

All updates for Deep Glacial will be on this thread now: https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=47023
Changelog v1.1

-Darkened mainload to better differentiate from the offroad
-added mainroad extensions to Black Ice/Heat Pit straightaway
-Fixed some offroad spots that were not actually offroad near the beginning of the map
-Extended hairpin "safe spots" for easier drifts/visuals*

*This was probably the hardest spot to differentiate mainroad from offroad, just decreasing the brightness was not getting the desired visual effect. As a consequence, the drift has been made easier.

v1.2 (Thanks for the feedback Discord)
-THERE WASN'T A CIRCUIT FINISH IN THE OFFROAD AT THE FINISH LINE, fixed that.
-Fixed MORE offroad spots that weren't actually offroad
-Made slopes NO Physics for the tunnel section, Piles of Snow, and Stalagmites in the double hairpin section.
-Adjusted beginning figure 8 to encourage drifting
-added offroad to the stone part of the ramp at the beginning of the map before the figure 8
-Fixed minimap

v1.3
-All offroad snow is now Fofs
-FIXED ALL THE UGLY UNEVEN WALL ICE SLOPES
-subtitle was "by Me :)" as a joke, but I forgot to change it to: "by Novaphyer"
-Snowpiles at the beginning were changed to rocks for better visibility
-1 area of ice wasn't actually ice in the tunnel
-Increased the width of the offroad snow before the ice/heat pit straightaway
-Reduced brightness of finishline to better match the mainroad brightness (this was mainly for the midtextures to match up)
-Updated gifs to current map version

v1.4
-Reworked first part of map
--Replaced split figure 8 with the path you would've taken on the left
--Changed ramp shortcut in beginning
--Adjusted 1st item spawn
--Added heat springs for visual flair (Ever since I started this map I REALLY wanted these in the beginning of the map but I just couldn't fit them in in a way I liked)
-2nd item spawn is slightly closer to the 1st (I believe that the items were slightly responsible for visibilty problems on that turn. Getting them slightly sooner will help alleviate this issue)
-Changed both Acute turns by adding mainroad to the outer edge of the turns
-Added signs to both Acute turns
-Changed texture of road to appear darker
-Reversed finish line brightness since the texture I changed to needs no brightness adjustments
-Added some item blocks to the 1st top path in the tunnel to give people more reason to use it
-Fixed Minimap, adding Fof snow broke it

v1.5
-First shortcut now supports all speed classes
-Double Hairpin item placement updated to match the shortcut path like it did before the wall fixes
-Double Hairpin shortcut final wall angle changed to make the shortcut slightly easier to pull off
-Decor added to Blackout area as well as Fog (Tentative to change if people complain about lag. From my tests/optimizations it SHOULDN'T be a problem, but it might arise with more people playing at once)

v1.6
-Reduced fog near end slightly for better visiblity
-added an extra stalagmite to last turn for a better idea of where NOT to drive on the last turn
-All Icicles that blocked Heat Pit jumps are no longer a thing.
--I originally did this as a deterent for going straight on the first jumps to prevent 1 dominant path but all it's done is annoy people and people found a better dominant path anyways that is mainly taken. Just be careful because if you go straight with a boost you will still hit the icicles behind heat pits, but it's reactable.

v1.7
-Up'd the laps from 3 to 4
-Added offroad for shortcut potential near the end of the tunnel
-Swapped 2nd half of the tunnel's ice, snow and fence!

This is my first map, so if somethings goes awry/jank be sure to tell me so I can fix it!

Attachments

• kart0018.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 403
  • kart0019.gif
    4 MB · Views: 355
  • kart0021.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 334
  • kart0023.gif
    6.5 MB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Welcome to releases! Though, first impressions are that it is REALLY hard to tell the offroad snow from the safe to drive snow.I spend so much of my time offroad, I just never see it coming.

Welcome to releases! Though, first impressions are that it is REALLY hard to tell the offroad snow from the safe to drive snow.I spend so much of my time offroad, I just never see it coming.

Thanks for the feedback, I darkened the mainroad + did a few other changes in areas I found this visually a problem

It's now v1.1 :/

Last edited:
Updated to v1.2

Changelog
v1.2 (Thanks for the feedback Discord)
-THERE WASN'T A CIRCUIT FINISH IN THE OFFROAD AT THE FINISH LINE, fixed that.
-Fixed MORE offroad spots that weren't actually offroad
-Made slopes NO Physics for the tunnel section, Piles of Snow, and Stalagmites in the double hairpin section.
-Adjusted beginning figure 8 to encourage drifting
-added offroad to the stone part of the ramp at the beginning of the map before the figure 8
-Fixed minimap

Updated to v1.3

I have no more planned updates for this map, these are most likely my last changes unless something urgent pops up. But if something needs to be changed/updated just tell me and I can do it/consider it.

Enjoy the map!

v1.3
-All offroad snow is now Fofs
-FIXED ALL THE UGLY UNEVEN WALL ICE SLOPES
-subtitle was "by Me :)" as a joke, but I forgot to change it to: "by Novaphyer"
-Snowpiles at the beginning were changed to rocks for better visibility
-1 area of ice wasn't actually ice in the tunnel
-Increased the width of the offroad snow before the ice/heat pit straightaway
-Reduced brightness of finishline to better match the mainroad brightness (this was mainly for the midtextures to match up)
-Updated gifs to current map version

I finally got to see the map played by multiple people, and I gotta say... There's some things I needed to fix. Thanks for all who played the map and gave feedback! These are changes I made based on feedback + my own observations.

v1.4
-Reworked first part of map
--Replaced split figure 8 with the path you would've taken on the left
--Changed ramp shortcut in beginning
--Adjusted 1st item spawn
--Added heat springs for visual flair (Ever since I started this map I REALLY wanted these in the beginning of the map but I just couldn't fit them in in a way I liked)
-2nd item spawn is slightly closer to the 1st (I believe that the items were slightly responsible for visibilty problems on that turn. Getting them slightly sooner will help alleviate this issue)
-Changed both Acute turns by adding mainroad to the outer edge of the turns
-Added signs to both Acute turns
-Changed texture of road to appear darker
-Reversed finish line brightness since the texture I changed to needs no brightness adjustments
-Added some item blocks to the 1st top path in the tunnel to give people more reason to use it
-Fixed Minimap, adding Fof snow broke it

I neglected to test the 1st shortcut for all speed classes. Plus I wanted to try some visual things out.

v1.5
-First shortcut now supports all speed classes
-Double Hairpin item placement updated to match the shortcut path like it did before the wall fixes
-Double Hairpin shortcut final wall angle changed to make the shortcut slightly easier to pull off
-Decor added to Blackout area as well as Fog (Tentative to change if people complain about lag. From my tests/optimizations it SHOULDN'T be a problem, but it might arise with more people playing at once)

Been a while since the last update, and that's a good thing! Not much has been changed except for 1 very big thing, the first 3 Icicles in the Black Ice straightaway no longer block jumps. I did it original to emphasize not going straight, and it not being the dominant path, but I find myself settling in on another dominant path anyways. So you're free to not get smacked in the face anymore! Unless you boost off of the pits, then you might hit 1...

Also, I made a new map! It's called Salt Quarantine, that's what I've been busy with. Go check it out here: https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=45903

v1.6
-Reduced fog near end slightly for better visiblity
-added extra stalagmite to last turn for a better idea of where NOT to drive on the last turn
-All Icicles that blocked Heat Pit jumps are no longer a thing.
--I originally did this as a deterent for going straight on the first jumps to prevent 1 dominant path but all it's done is annoy people and people found a better dominant path anyways that is mainly taken. Just be careful because if you go straight with a boost you will still hit the icicles behind heat pits, but it's reactable.

Updated to 1.7!

v1.7
-Up'd the laps from 3 to 4
-Added offroad for shortcut potential near the end of the tunnel
-Swapped 2nd half of the tunnel's ice, snow and fence!

I always felt this track was a tad too short for a 3 lap map, so I'm finally putting it up to 4 laps for the time being! I rebalanced the tunnel to have the faster route be the hardest, and made the slower route easier. I've had cases where if you fell off the top route, you'd just fall off the track just because of the ice on the lower part, now the fence and regular road are there, so it shouldn't be as punishing. However, the top path has the ice and no railing, so watch those drifts! I also just added snow offroad to the end of the tunnel instead of it being a pit cause i thought it looked nicer. I might remove it in the future, because this map has so many shortcuts already, but we'll see for now.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back