Match/CTF Level Rotation - 2.1 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there are those points. It's just confusing for me to go one route, thinking it'll lead to the blue flag, and wind up literally right back at my spawn point.
(I'm looking at you, Green Lake Zone.)

(I'm looking at you, Green Lake Zone.)
Green Lake? Of all maps? The two entrances to the bases have hanging flags just in front of them, so I doubt you confused them for the way to the other flag. The only other thing that could get you confused are the two smaller rooms to the sides of the central area, but it seems pretty obvious to me which leads where.

The only map that I would call somewhat confusing is Clockwork Towers. Oh, and Conveyor Conflict isn't gonna be removed. Silly me.

Green Lake? Of all maps? The two entrances to the bases have hanging flags just in front of them, so I doubt you confused them for the way to the other flag.

ThunderNova said:
(The graphical glitch I was having didn't help much either)

That graphical glitch being replacing one sideways Blue Team banner with a Red Team banner, and replacing all the Red Team Banner with ERZ textures.

That's why I was saying what I said about getting lost. Green Lake just happened to be the only one where I actually went back to spawn.

spiritcrusher go back to bed
okay :(

But the status quo wasn't exactly silently changed, Spherallic announced which maps are gonna be scrapped and which ones will be added.

That graphical glitch being replacing one sideways Blue Team banner with a Red Team banner, and replacing all the Red Team Banner with ERZ textures.
I don't see any such glitch.

Another thing: Please tone down the number of decorative cacti and tumbleweeds in Dusty Barracks. I can hardly see a thing.

I don't see any such glitch.

Which is why it was a glitch I was having.

Here's photographic proof that my computer doesn't handle much well.

iaza15449791586700.png

On another note of this image, why the fuck were THESE leaves picked? They completely clash with the color scheme of the rest of the level. It looks fine here, but when it goes next to the grass outside, its incredibly distracting. They should be colored more like the grass.

Just played most of the levels today, and most of the re-design is interesting , but I have some complaints right here.

Cloud Palace Zone:
Okay,I admit, those clouds look nice and really make the level feel like a CLOUD Palace, but the lag I get because of them is INSANE. Maybe you can make parts of the zone cloudy instead of all of it?

Silver Cascade Zone:
I dont seem to get the insta-kill glitch, though it's probably because I play as Sonic, but all the extra decoration seems to lag-up this place, at least for me. Those "windows" are unnecessary too.

Icicle Falls Zone:

Okay,what the HECK happened here? Some platforms and Tails-only objects were added, but WHY did the flags move up?It seemed nice at first, then just got annoying.I heavily prefer the 2.0 version of Icicle Falls.

Twisted Terminal Zone:

No changes.I'm glad too.It's hands down THE best CTF zone.

About the new maps......that's where the real problem comes in. Most of the maps are particularly bland, and HIGHLY vertical. They just don't give you the "Designed by STJr" feeling. I'm not saying ALL the maps are like this though.For example, Dusty Barracks, Clockwork Towers, and Amber Ravine were all nice and kept the excitement. The other maps need minor touch-ups that won't make them feel like "Climb up to win" or "Race to the flag".

Just a heads-up: there's a new version in the first post, with two levels removed and two other levels added. Have fun playing them :)

Which is why it was a glitch I was having.
I don't understand you. If your confusion was only the fault of a glitch your were having, why did you blame the maps?

but WHY did the flags move up?It seemed nice at first, then just got annoying.I heavily prefer the 2.0 version of Icicle Falls.
The bases are more or less indefensible in the 2.0 version, and moving the flags fixed that.

The bases are more or less indefensible in the 2.0 version, and moving the flags fixed that.
In the original version's defense, I'll note that this is what made it so different (and fun) to play. I haven't tried the new version in a netgame yet, so I don't know how it will fare.

When I said "remove some cacti and tumbleweeds from Dusty Barracks", I didn't necessarily mean all of them. Now the level looks more or less dead. Thanks for removing the falling rocks though. Those were stupid.

I also think that Silver Cascade and Orbital Hanger need to be purged of all the useless machinery that has no gameplay relevance.

Went back and scratched off the stuff covered by yesterday's silent update. (You were saying, SpiritCrusher?) I also updated the stage names, even though some baffle me. Granite Gorge? Marine Grotto? Overgrown Thicket? I know you're trying to avoid same-acronym names, but did you run these through a thesaurus and just call it a day?

Also, if we're seriously going with "Nostalgic Pass Zone" then may as well go all the way and use "Voiced Concern".

Anyway, new shitpicks. 56K users beware:

Granite Gorge Zone:

granitegorge_stillsucks.png

This stage still sucks! Also, HOM.

Amber Ravine Zone:

amberravine_secrettoeverybody1.png

amberravine_secrettoeverybody2.png

This pass-through FOF has always bugged me, because it's completely imperceptible from above. In my opinion, it should get slightly lowered and the top flat should be changed to rock instead of grass.

Marine Grotto Zone:

marinegrotto_areyouserious.png

Skirting the ridiculous unfitting name, these emerald spawns seem awkward to me at best. They seem intentional, but don't make much sense.

Orbital Hangar Zone:

Yeah, I think the hazardous floors randomly sprinkled about need to go. They are immensely annoying.

Lime Forest Zone:

limeforest_likeasorethumb.png

This wood texture is unused elsewhere in the level, and it really doesn't mesh with its surroundings. I think it should just use the same texture as the wall behind it.

Cloud Palace Zone:

cloudpalace_dontmossmearound.png

The framerate woes have been alleviated, but this mossy texture around the flag spawn still bugs me. Also:

cloudpalace_highstakes.png

Grassy flat got turned around. Present on both sides, on the awesome side bridges.

Nimbus Ruins Zone:

You know, I think I preferred it when each single FOF didn't have its own goddamn texture. It's a mess, especially the large FOFs using the large square brick texture.

Dusty Barracks Zone:

dustybarracks_getridoftheseplease.png

This is what happens when a player dies right outside his or her own base door. It remains stuck open until a same-team member goes near it again, allowing the rival team to storm the place in the meantime. Not that it matters, anyway, since you can thok right through those bars (though it's easier to thok out than in). Get. Rid of these.

Clockwork Towers Zone:

clockworktowers_missinganeyebrow.png

Why is there half of a cogwheel on the ceiling? Oh, because there's one halfway inside the wall on the floor. Call me OCD, but either complete the cog on the ceiling or remove it completely.

Radiant Caverns Zone:

radiantcaverns_badbars.png

Like I mentioned before, you can thok right through these bars.

Techno Laser Zone:

technolaser_alignmentwoes1.png

technolaser_alignmentwoes2.png

technolaser_alignmentwoes3.png

You know, normally I wouldn't shake two shits at texture alignment, but this gets so bad so fast that it's not even funny.

technolaser_etherealrail.png

You can go right through these guard rails, either make them solid or remove the texture.

technolaser_hugmenot.png

These springs should be closer to the wall. As it is, if you overshoot them and hug the wall, you don't get bounced up when you touch the ground.

Iron Turret Zone:

ironturret_darkdays.png

Slime fall sector is dark for some reason.

Aquatic Base Zone:

aquaticbase_nothreecantsee.png

It's really hard to tell where the walls bend in these glass corridors. This could easily be fixed by having opaque structures along the edges of the glass surfaces.

aquaticbase_inflitrator.png

Blue texture snuck into the red base. Also, on a different note, Aquatic Base is the name of a Sonic 2006 level. I'm not sure if we want to pay tribute to that.

Orbital Hanger
Okay, I lol'd.

You were saying, SpiritCrusher?
Apparently, I have the power to see into the future. And you too.

Granite Gorge? Marine Grotto? Overgrown Thicket? I know you're trying to avoid same-acronym names, but did you run these through a thesaurus and just call it a day?
Amen. Already mentioned this to Spherallic, who admitted Overgrown Thicket is a stupid name, but likes Marine Grotto. I also suggested "Granite Lake" for Granite Gorge, which I think satisfies both sides.

Orbital Hangar Zone:

Yeah, I think the hazardous floors randomly sprinkled about need to go. They are immensely annoying.
There are a lot more randomly sprinkled about things in this map that need to go. Like conveyors that serve to purpose. Or moving pistons that don't have any relevance.

Dusty Barracks suffers from enormous frame lag in the area underneath the mesh ceilings (although the stage is awesome in every other regard). Also, Molten Fissure doesn't have a Player 1 Start.

Okay guys, keep those comments coming! A good chunk of your complaints and bugs have been fixed, Neo and everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back