SEGA to shelve recent "poor" and "average" Sonic titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secret Rings was good, specially when you reached level 99 and made Sonic go fast as hell. This is probably the second time in history this game removing is done (The first was Polybius, but that was because the game ended up killing someone).

So... What´s the point of doing this? People won´t be able to buy the games... AND? it´s not like newcoming games are gonna get a 10/10 rating because of this pointless shelving.

The idea is that they're trying to put an absolute focus on what they think is going to be one of the only two really good Sonic games to date. SEGA's basically implying, if you see a Sonic game that looks interesting, it should be Colors. If you play a Sonic game that you like, it's going to be Colors and nothing else.

I guess they're really confident that this is better than any Sonic game they've produced in the last ten years (not as if that's much of an accomplishment). It's a pretty bold statement, but if they think they will profit from the decision in the long term, then they may as well give it a shot.

Sonic truly does need a rebranding at this point, but what they need are some truly great titles before they can try such a thing. Even if Sonic Colors is the second coming of Christ, it'll take more than just one game for people to realize that Sonic isn't a complete laughingstock anymore.

Of course, it's nice to see them admitting their games suck and take them off the market. Whenever I saw games like Sonic 2K6 on the shelves I always thought of the poor little kids who ended up with it because their parents saw it, recognized the character, and assumed it was fun!

What they're doing doesn't really bug me as much... But I thought Rivals was a good Sonic game. I dunno why that got such a bad rating. o3o
But if they do this... I hope that Sonic might come back to a good level in the video game world. I really have no idea what the outcome of this will be.
But it's really sad to think that out of the four games likely to stay, one of 1/4 of those wasn't even made by SEGA~ Just used their characters and a whole bunch of recycled textures and music. It was one of the best 'Sonic' games I played in a while though. 8P

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I already own the games that I want out of that list. Some of those I might get, just for kicks, if they were cheap, but my threshold for an impulse buy is both a lower price ($5) and a higher value (occasionally substituted by reputation) thanks to Steam.

Also, many of these older games have already had their prices lowered. On top of that, in order to stock the shelves they have to keep manufacturing these. While they may not be losing money, they're probably not making enough on these games anymore to justify the cost of keeping them around. A good way to cut costs is to stop distributing games that need to be marked down thirty dollars in order to sell at all. As a bonus, it helps to save a little bit of face.

It's probably too late to bother to do this. Their ratings are in trouble anyway

People complain at sonic games because they're sonic games now. Like with sonic 4, where everyone is giving it poor ratings because it used the "new style" sonic design and has 1 minor glitch involving traveling through midair. (by the way, I have sonic 4 and love it, so im not one of those people above.)

So even when they do sonic right, the ratings won't be going up any time soon, unless they make about 10 "good" sonic games in a row.

People complain at sonic games because they're sonic games now. Like with sonic 4, where everyone is giving it poor ratings because it used the "new style" sonic design and has 1 minor glitch involving traveling through midair. (by the way, I have sonic 4 and love it, so im not one of those people above.)
I know this isn't the Sonic 4 Thread but... You do know there is more than one glitch. And only the Hardcore Physics fans Nazis are giving "low scores". All the game website give it a pretty high score. Thank goodness they made it episodic!

Yeah I know there's more than one glitch. That's just the one the most people seem to be complaining about.

Doesn't change the fact that, overall, it's a pretty good game

The reeks of "oh hey, nobody's buying our older Sonic games anymore, I see an opportunity to make us look good!"

It's probably too late to bother to do this. Their ratings are in trouble anyway

So even when they do sonic right, the ratings won't be going up any time soon, unless they make about 10 "good" sonic games in a row.
You know, Sonic 4 gets extremely good ratings, in fact. Metacritic shows one negative review out of twenty.

You know, Sonic 4 gets extremely good ratings, in fact. Metacritic shows one negative review out of twenty.
It's 2D Sonic. Critics INSTANTLY give it a good review simply because it's "like the classics" (when a lousy physics engine and annoying level design isn't that similar).

It's 2D Sonic. Critics INSTANTLY give it a good review simply because it's "like the classics" (when a lousy physics engine and annoying level design isn't that similar).
Of course, the entire reason they like it is because its 2D Sonic.

Of course, the entire reason they like it is because its 2D Sonic.
And of course you missed the entire point of the post.
It's a big generalization that critics WILL love a 2D Sonic over a 3D one for no apparent reason other than "it's classic, 2D Sonic".
The fact that only one reviewer noticed ANY problems (and that critics are biased as fuck) pretty much proves that point.

If you're talking about the physics. There were a ton of reviewers pointing that out.

I feel that "LOL 2D > 3D" will be broken when Sonic Colors comes out. Even if Sonic 4 is classic and 2D.

The fact that only one reviewer noticed ANY problems
That's not true. A lot of reviewers noticed problems.

(and that critics are biased as fuck)
Everybody is biased, and Sonic fans are a lot more biased than professional critics.

Played the demo on my friend's 360. Messed around with Sonic's awkward physics. Then I lol'd. It was only the very first stage though, so eh.

From first appearances Sonic 4 seems like it might be fun, but the stiff physics just made me miss the old Sonic even more. Afterwards I ended up buying Sonic 2 on the live arcade just to pass time. Had some fun versus and coop action there. After all these years, I don't think I've searched every area that Sonic 2 has to offer. I keep finding these high routes that I never knew about, and it's a pleasant surprise for someone who's played the game for ten years or so.
Hi. Wrong thread bro.

lol they liked it they are obviously biased
It seems more like bias when they give every 2D game out there a positive score, even when the fans (and non-fans) don't like it.
Sure, they probably have their reasons, but they're saying that the game is worthy of 8s and 9s, which every other 2D game has gotten while 3D games never get close to that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back