• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2Unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chibs

Just Someone
Okay, before you start going "Oh no, a crappy port," I'd like to note that the entire mod has original level design. It borrows the themes, sure, but everything else is by me. Some gimmicks might be inspired from the actual game, but I'm not going to let it get in the way of the overall game experience. This is an SRB2 mod, not a port, and I intend to keep it that way.

And, please, no assholery.

Fresh off the Wadbase, SRB2Unleashed.

Please note that there is no Werehog in this mod. Act 2 levels take place at night, but there is no relation besides that.

Also, for anyone who thinks that this project started recently, note in the wall of text below that this mod actually begun its quest back in December of 2008.

So, anyways, everything below here is the current first post copypasta from the Wadbase topic.

-------------------------------
WADbase Post
-------------------------------

Due to my dislike of the original SRB2U levels, I am copletely reworking the project. The levels have much more to offer this time around. Less linearity, longer, and more goodies to find.

Progress:

Windmill Isle 1: 15%
Windmill Isle 2: 0%
Windmill Isle 3: 0%

------------------------
INFO
------------------------

SRB2Unleashed is an SRB2 mod based on one concept: SRB2 mods based off of Sonic games don't have to suck. Unleashed has a bad rap to some, and is enjoyable to others. I want this mod to be enjoyed by all, however.

SRB2U began in December of 2008, just as an attempt to work up false hype (I originally had never intended to go past what the first screenshot showed). However, I decided to go a little further with the project. Not many people liked the first beta I released, WIZ1 was short, had a nasty Software bug at the beginning due to a lack of testing in Software, and the design was overall very bland in most places.

The final decision to do a complete reboot of the mod came when I stumbled upon this image of Apotos, and though, "Wow, SRB2U looks NOTHING like that. I should at least try to make it resemble the Apotos in that picture." The entire project was rebooted, and SRB2U was remade anew.

The current SRB2U project has a much more positive reaction. Currently working along with the help of other mappers, I'm aiming to make SRB2U a noteworthy mod as "The Sonic-based mod That Didn't Suck."
------------------------
BETA
------------------------

SRB2U's revamp will be available shortly. Don't despair, it's not going to take as long as waiting for the original betas.

------------------------
CREW
------------------------

EXE CODER: SRB2CB is the EXE necessary to run SRB2U properly, as it includes features like boosting, 3D to 2D switches and much more. SRB2CB was originally headed by Kalaron/DashFox, but he has now left the project to pursue a platforming mod utilizing the Cube 2 engine, so SRB2U currently has no actual coder. At one time, I thought Flame was working on a new boosting system similar to that of SU360, but it's been months since I heard anything from him.

LEVELS: I'm the head of the project, and I'm also working on the majority of the levels, mainly the Apotos, Shamar and Adabat continents. I'm open to accepting other mappers who want to help with the project, but I'll only accept GOOD mappers. Just saying you're good definitely isn't enough, I'll need to see some previous proof that you've got the stuff.

Chrome is also working on the continent Holoska.

At one time, Violo was working on Dragon Road and Nathan Speed on Spagonia, but they quit the project due to lack of interest in it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, though.

------------------------
PICTURES
------------------------

srb20013.png

srb20014.png

srb20015.png

Last edited:
I've seen the original of this mod. Let me say that it's nowhere near as bad as it sounds...in fact, it's highly original and fun. So keep working, Chisuun! Let's see what this mod becomes!

Yeah, I hated the original mod, and not just because of how much it didn't resemble Apotos. It was short, buggy, EXTREMELY linear, didn't have any secrets or alternate paths (worth going after, anyway) and have no replay value, really. This is much better.

Currently, I'm looking for an appropriate texture for the buildings. The one I was using is incompatible with ME's palette, and when I use one of ME's textures, it looks terrible. Not because of the texture, but because of all the white. There's pretty much no discerning what belongs to what.

Dude, you can easily fix your incompatible texture problem. Set the IWAD in XWE to the 1.09.4 srb2.srb, take the texture you want to use, save it as a BMP, then change the IWAD to the 2.0 srb2.srb and load the BMP again.

Oh crap, that was the solution?

I guess it's going to take me a while to get used to SRB2ME.

Do you own the game? If not, this will not only fail to resemble SU at all, but you deserve to give it a less generic name, especially if the levels are good. Second, SU is a terrible game. It's worse than Sonic 06. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be an asshole heer, but I think that you are wasting your time by starting at something as bad as SU and working your way up to normal. (Buy a Wii and the GCN Sonic titles, if you must.)

Some advice in general not pertaining to the fact that you are choosing to port the worst game ever: Do everything yourself. If you want to make a few friends in the community and give them more releases for feedback than you actually release in the editing section, that's fine. But you still need to give everyone the opportunity to test your levels and get everyone's feedback. Do not expect people to exe mod for you or donate textures. It won't happen. If someone just shows up with textures and hands them to you, that's great. If you take other people's pre-made textures wit their permission, that's good too. To address the want of more features through exe, learn to SOC instead.

Don't get started on what game is better than what game, that's not needed. You might not like Sonic '06, but many people like SU. I haven't commented on this mod before, but I think it's a load of fun and you should keep going with it, Chisuun. I've played the original mod and it was good.

on Edge said:
Do you own the game? If not, this will not only fail to resemble SU at all, but you deserve to give it a less generic name, especially if the levels are good. Second, SU is a terrible game. It's worse than Sonic 06. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be an asshole heer, but I think that you are wasting your time by starting at something as bad as SU and working your way up to normal. (Buy a Wii and the GCN Sonic titles, if you must.)

This is a sheer matter of opinion. Ask almost anyone from Sonic Retro, and they'll tell you that Sonic Unleashed (the 360 version specifically) is the biggest step in the right direction in recent Sonic history.

Some advice in general not pertaining to the fact that you are choosing to port the worst game ever: Do everything yourself. If you want to make a few friends in the community and give them more releases for feedback than you actually release in the editing section, that's fine. But you still need to give everyone the opportunity to test your levels and get everyone's feedback. Do not expect people to exe mod for you or donate textures. It won't happen. If someone just shows up with textures and hands them to you, that's great. If you take other people's pre-made textures wit their permission, that's good too. To address the want of more features through exe, learn to SOC instead.

I'm not sure if you realize that this mod has been in the works since about a year ago now, but either way, it sounds like you're giving him very late starter advice. I assume you haven't taken the time to review the first post very well either, because this is not a port.

on Edge said:
Do you own the game? If not, this will not only fail to resemble SU at all, but you deserve to give it a less generic name, especially if the levels are good.

I do.

SU is a terrible game. It's worse than Sonic 06. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be an asshole heer, but I think that you are wasting your time by starting at something as bad as SU and working your way up to normal. (Buy a Wii and the GCN Sonic titles, if you must.)

You know, I not sure, but I think the first post completely leaves out that there's no Werehog gimmicks or anything related to him (besides Act 2 levels taking place at night) in this mod. If that's your problem with SU, then, well, I hope that fixes it. If not, well, opinions, that's the only response I can really come up with. As I stated in the first post, some people like the original game, some don't. I just want everyone to enjoy the mod.

Some advice in general not pertaining to the fact that you are choosing to port...

...the worst game ever: Do everything yourself. If you want to make a few friends in the community and give them more releases for feedback than you actually release in the editing section, that's fine. But you still need to give everyone the opportunity to test your levels and get everyone's feedback. Do not expect people to exe mod for you or donate textures. It won't happen. If someone just shows up with textures and hands them to you, that's great. If you take other people's pre-made textures wit their permission, that's good too. To address the want of more features through exe, learn to SOC instead.

I guess I'm too used to the Wadbase, where users help each other out with their mods when they need help with gimmicks or custom stuff and whatnot.

fawfulfan said:
Dude, you can easily fix your incompatible texture problem. Set the IWAD in XWE to the 1.09.4 srb2.srb, take the texture you want to use, save it as a BMP, then change the IWAD to the 2.0 srb2.srb and load the BMP again.
There's more. In either XWE or SlumpEd, you will now need to export SRB2 2.0's Pallet file and then import it into your mod. Then in your editor (In my case it's XWE), select the pallet, from there go to the pallet menu and select "use Current". Then import your graphics.

On Edge: Sonic 06 was worse than all versions of Unleashed, and not just in personal preference too. Why? PM me and I'll tell you.

Jellybones said:
Don't get started on what game is better than what game, that's not needed. You might not like Sonic '06, but many people like SU. I haven't commented on this mod before, but I think it's a load of fun and you should keep going with it, Chisuun. I've played the original mod and it was good.

I don't think hes starting to start anything. He saying that the game was terrible, this is going to be terrible.

Even though its not a port.....

IMO you should give the mod a new name, new level names. Since you aren't basing it off the boost thing..

I do believe that Unleashed is not a game I want to play, mostly because of the gameplay. From what I've seen of the level theming, it's phenomenal, except that Sonic is running too fast to try to smell the flowers.

If you think that you can make levels in SRB2 that are based around the theming from Unleashed, more power to you.

Chisuun said:
At one time, Violo was working on Dragon Road and Nathan Speed on Spagonia, but they quit the project due to lack of interest in it.

Lies! I told you I was doing it for the good of the mod!

Personally, I think it would be easier to include the "World Adventure" part of the Japanese title in the title of the mod, but that's just me.

All that aside, I was actually becoming fond of the first version; I always wondered how it would turn out if you decided to continue this project. I guess now I'll be able to find out. Good luck to you and your team.

Post updated with two new pictures. Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to make the white building texture look proper in SRB2.

Also, instead of using MM4, you could use MMB4 (something like that) since it's more detailed.

I'd offer to help with level design, but I've never really played Sonic Unleashed.

I wouldn't be conveying the atmosphere that the original portrayed because I wouldn't know how the level felt like. Sure, I can just design around the concept, but who knows if I can make it feel like the level it's inspired by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back