The Sonic Stadium interviews Sonikku, March 2002

I was unaware of this interview. I want to point out a few parts.

lbTq6tv.png

This screenshot from 2002 shows a part of GFZ2 that wasn't added to the level until v2.1. What in the world happened here?

The purpose of the game is to offer to feel of the classic Genesis / Mega Drive Sonic games in the form of 3D; whilst we appreciated Sonic Adventure, it was a long way away from the classics roots from which it all begun.

I wasn't involved in the online Sonic fandom back then, so it's interesting that this was the attitude even prior to the slow collapse of Sonic's reputation.

Actually, the change to 3D was not so much to do with choice. We felt that ‘The Games Factory’ was far too limiting for what I wanted SRB2 to do, and thus, moved to C. However, once the programmer for the ‘SRB2-C’ project went AWOL, and on his return, progress went at a snail’s pace.

Never even heard of this.

The multiplayer modes are more or less done, textures need to be worked on, as do enemy sprites, and most of the player sprites are done. Once this is in place, level construction can be done in a matter of weeks.

Oh you poor, sweet, naive fool.

Would have thought they were hotlinking an image from srb2.org itself, but on closer examination the image is hosted on the Sonic Stadium website itself??!?!

This is extremely bizarre in any case.

EDIT: What's even weirder is that they're also showing screenshots of the Final Demo Knuckles, who did not even exist in that form yet back in Demo 2.

Also as a fun note, there is actually a backup of that interview hosted on srb2.org itself: https://www.srb2.org/history_data/wallbank2002.htm

Last edited:
It's possible the article was updated some point later down the line, but whoever updated it decided to use random screenshots found on google, at least that's my theory on the screenshots.

If you click on the image in question on their webpage it says what day it was uploaded.

All of the images on that interview come from 3 different dates. Most of the ones with less contrast (what I assume is authentic Demo-era screenshots) were uploaded in 2016. Similarly, the screenshot of knuckles in the ice stage and the second sonic image were uploaded in 2009, around when 2.0 was released. Finally that image you found was uploaded in 2019 (although the "interview header" image is bundled with it which is weird)

In that image the Crawlas look like their 2.0+ designs and the life counter is small like the current iteration. I think its possible that the database of screenshots on their site was updated at some point and all of the SRb2 screenshots got jumbled together at random.

RoyKirbs has apparently found the "SRB2-C" and uploaded it on MEGA. I found this recently and I am reposting it here.

Oh! The "SRB2-C developer" Sonikku mentioned was Stealth. I knew that Stealth worked on SRB2 in the very early days, but I didn't know what he did or why he left.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back