• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic Robo Blast 2: The Bonus Levels (Alpha is here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. First of all, stop abusing commas. It makes me want to stop reading, and it's annoying.
Second, you have soom pretty good level ideas, but you should work on them seperatly and not make it a pack. Thirdly, the time limit on yourself. I understand what you mean by taking too long- but it's not a good idea. Take your time with levels, it will make them good and actually enjoyable.
Lastly. Listen to people. I understand this level is in progress, but from what I see whenever someone points something out in your that may not be a good idea, you have some kind of excuse for it. Maybe you should consider what they say and actually try it?

Understand, that I am taking suggestions into account, and the release dates, are just for the demos, I will continue to work on them after I release them, today, I worked on establishing level music, to what I intend to use, Act 1, will be the music, from Flame Rift Zone, it's still going to be a pack, but I'm working on them one at a time, and I know I said I wasn't going to post any more screen shots, but I just have to brag about this one, since I was thinking about doing this, but it took forever, so I won't be doing it again, I'll continue with actual progress, tomorrow.

srb21178.png

Originally I was going to wait until tomorrow, but photobucket started working again, so here you go, I know, I have a lot of free time on my hands, but I felt it absolutely necessary.

Another double post, but since I'm done taking screen shots, I decided to have a post, exclusively for progress notes, until someone else posts.

3/14/09: Added rings/enemies till the first wooden bridges, and added some pillars to the top of the mountain fortress, started development on the Act 2 section, beyond the collision detection barrier, and, fixed the textures in the opening part of the level, still relatively unfinished, with the finishing touches.

3/15/09: Started operation of bombing the crap out of the pretty tunnels, towards the end of the main path, as well as added enemies, in the middle section's second platform, and the beginning of the side path too, isn't spared the rampage, just like on Friday though, progress may be delayed a couple of days here and there, but come hell, or high water, you will get your completed demo, by 3/27/09, and then, I start work on Act 2.

3/16/09: The day before the original release date, I added rings and enemies until the side paths main area, and once the enemies are added, the first act is just about finished.

3/17/09: The original release day, I spent today adding to the failed pool section, expanding it to something much greater, which you'll see in the release, it's amazing what about an hour a day, for 45 some odd days, can do for a level, question is, will I be able to think of some new areas, for Act 2, well I have 11 days before I have to worry about it, also, there is no thok barrier in the level yet, just thought I'd point that out.

3/20/09: After three days, my ultimate creation is finished, it's a lab, nestled within the volcanic mountain range, the center of operations for this level pack, and will be used in some sort of cut scene, don't expect detail like this in my normal levels, I just decided to go all out for this place, granted the pool section is pretty detailed, but that was just because my original plans for it failed, only 1 week till it's released, now I return to thing placement, oh yeah, here's the screen shot.

srb21179.png

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

For my Act 2, I try to change the core concept of Act 1 so that it's different and unique, but still relatable. For instance, a change in the time of day.

BlueZero4 said:
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

For my Act 2, I try to change the core concept of Act 1 so that it's different and unique, but still relatable. For instance, a change in the time of day.

Since it's twilight right now, I intend to drop the lighting from 192-176, and in addition, instead of a simple climb to the top of a mountain range, in Act 2, you're over a volcano, and are trying to not die, trying to cross it, and I intend to add more cave sections like act 1, and implement lava geysers, and bigger jumps, but not before I get some sleep, since I had a long day, and don't have the drive to finish act 1 today, since all I have to do is fill it with more lava, more enemies, and more rings, and I have Sunday-Friday to do it, and trust me, I intend to stick to that, today is the last exception that I make.

Edit: Well, since I don't feel well today, and spent 3 days making that lab, I'm pushing the release date for the level back a little more, I was a bit random when I thought of these release dates, not factoring in any potential setbacks, also, finishing a level in a month, is realistic, but 2 months, allows for setbacks, and all the finishing touches, so, this is the last time I set back the release dates, and these are the official ones.

Demo #1: Complete version of Act 1 of Raging Demon Zone: 04/01/09
Demo #2: Complete version of Raging Demon Zone (Acts 1-3, and the opening cut scene): 06/02/09
Note, the April 1st release date, isn't a joke, and the June 2nd release date, is my birthday, the release dates will, from now on, be two months apart, and on a date of significance, and I'll make sure 110%, to stick to these, from now on, since I left myself a lot of wiggle room, so that's all the news I have on the pack, at least for right now.

Another double post, but I'm resuming my progress notes, and I don't want to over stuff my last post.

3/25/09: Worked on placing more items, in act 1, and rings, as well as on a special edition demo, to be coupled with my release of the Alpha demo, it will have an unfinished version of Act 1, only with thing placement, and a brief preview of act 2, which I am currently working on, the reason why it's unfinished is because I don't want to go through the trouble of saving two versions, or something like that, so there's more you can expect on April 1st, and don't worry, it's NOT a prank.

3/26/09: Changed that plan, I will release the preview, in the same version, I was an idiot yesterday, so, on the first, I release the Alpha demo of my level pack, and it will include a short, but sweet preview of what's to come, I didn't work on Act 1 much today, but I have 6 days, and all I have to do is place items, etc.

3/27/09: Last day for clerical details, adding more levels to the level select, as well as some custom music, if I find some, and I intend to work my way up farther on the last section of the main path's object placement, I will elaborate on the levels that I intend to make, tomorrow.

3/29/09: Finished the opening cut scene, in it's entirety, so, here's my four day plan, to finish this for an April 1st demo, so this is what I'll be working on for release, there won't be a thok barrier in the demo, since it would involve a lot of careful precision, and control sector arrangement, but other than that, here's my plan.

3/29/09: Finishing item placement, on the main path, bombing tunnels, adding rocks, and so on, changing the Act 2 preview area, since I decided to make Act 2's beginning, underground, with another section where you have to work your way back up, involving an island of some kind.

3/30/09: Working my way half way up, the secondary path's main area, and all that leads up to it, with object, and scenery placement, and so on.

3/31/09: Finishing the side path, entirely, and all that goes with it.

4/01/09: Anything that I didn't do, possible addition of custom music, and a release around 9:00P.M. EST.

Now, I'm off to do other things, and tomorrow, I'm finally going to get down to business, finishing this demo, until then, adios.

Yeah, anybody who actually fell for the whole, lost my level, crap, is an idiot, it's still alive, but I took the day off yesterday, like the rest of you, so after I do a little bit of last minute object placement, over the next couple hours, I'll release the Alpha Demo, and then, tomorrow, I'll start working on Act 2, also, another feature of my level pack, every Act gets a cut scene, a one picture cut scene, but a cut scene nonetheless, to tell the ultimate story, of my level pack, so look forward to that.

Honestly, I don't think that anyone was too sad, even if you had been telling the truth.

Ice said:
Honestly, I don't think that anyone was too sad, even if you had been telling the truth.

I doubt it too, but trust me, it's halfway decent, and it'll be sitting here, at 7:15P.M EST, despite the constant delays, during production, the day of reckoning is finally upon you guys, a lot of stuff got lost in production, but the virtually finished result, is worth it.

Alpha Download
http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/346scr_srb2thebonuslevelsAlphaDemo.wad
Dedicated to all those nay sayers, who said I'd crap out on this eventually, or believed I couldn't give you quality product, in two months, well, you've been proven wrong, I think, leave your comments!!

Ugh, I don't know why I went through the trouble of actually finishing the level after so many frustrating game overs. Firstly, does your level even have a thok barrier? Y'know, the outside sector which surrounds the level and prevents sonic from thokking through the wall? I don't think you did, because the camera would constantly move through walls, and when I was moving down this one kind of spiral staircase thing I ran right through it:
srb20023.png

I liked how you made the player move vertically a lot of the time, but that was completely ruined by the fact(s) that:
-The platforms forms were pretty small, and easy to slip off of
-The crumbling fofs (the falling bridges) wouldn't even respawn after you stepped on them once! The only way you would be able to get past the part of the level is if you were to die and respawn from a checkpoint.
-That creates even more problems because this would make you have to start all over again from the bottom, and sometimes make you have to do a big button hunt all over again. Also, some checkpoints would spawn you right on an enemy resulting in an instant death every time you spawn, resulting in a game over.
A lot of the design was awkward, ex: low ceilings, cramped passageways, horrible enemy placement. I don't really think there was a single part when I was enjoying myself when playing the level. A lot of the springs wouldn't even take you to where you needed to go! They would just spring you off plunge you into the lava (aka deathpit with a lava texture.) Did you even test the level before releasing it to us?
Overall I'd give it a 3/10 because there was some effort put into it, but it was overall not fun to play. Sorry for being so blunt, but it's the only way you'll improve wadding. Read the wiki thoroughly for things you need to improve on -such as water/lava, level design 101, etc...- (or simply pm me and I'll help you out.) But more importantly, study official maps and what makes them fun. What differed from your maps and the official ones? That's how I make my wads at least. I hope I've been some kind of a help. =/

SWP (SRB2) said:
Yeah, anybody who actually fell for the whole, lost my level, crap, is an idiot, it's still alive, but I took the day off yesterday, like the rest of you, so after I do a little bit of last minute object placement, over the next couple hours, I'll release the Alpha Demo, and then, tomorrow, I'll start working on Act 2, also, another feature of my level pack, every Act gets a cut scene, a one picture cut scene, but a cut scene nonetheless, to tell the ultimate story, of my level pack, so look forward to that.

I fell for it for 1 minute,then I thought....April fools?

But something like that actually did happened when I was making a Rpg game.

Anyway, I will test your game tomorrow.(Because it is too late in the day.)

Yes, yet another person is bothering about your time limit thing.

If I ever set time limits for myself, I either go way passed them, or I release it without caring anymore, despite it's being far from finished. So, loosen up a bit =P

Well, admittedly, there was a few unresolved issues, I do intend to fix before the beta is released in June, I also started Act 2 within a thok barrier, and I will give you a new screen shot, every Friday from now on, including today, after I make some progress, also, I release these levels with minor flaws, so I can get some feedback, on how I can fix them, before the next release, since ultimately I can always go back and change things, and trust me, your criticism's have been heard, I'll also keep a running tab on progress, as I go along, like I did in Act 1. Act 2's music is Red Volcano Zone, I tell you this, since I might implement custom music, if I feel like it.

PS: Ever tried scrolling up and down, at my "showing off" screen shot, it's trippy, the walls move, complement of SRB2's textures!!

srb21184.png

The enigmas opening screen shot, and yes, I intend to rip the wall ahead down, tomorrow!!

Edit: 4/4/09: Decided to work on the second cutscene, and finished it, in its entirety, it really sets the mood of the level pack, and more importantly, explains it, also I'll be working on Act 2 later as well, so I'll be sure to give you a progress update, when I do.

Just a progress update, for you guys, I probably won't make use of custom music, but there's still a chance I might.

4/4/09: Made the "basement" of the stone fortress, and started the path, underneath that little base area at the end, with the tree, as well as what's underneath it.

4/5/09: Worked on more of the underground, which is still unfinished, partially due to my addiction to, "Is it okay to microwave this?", from now on, I take care of all my productive projects first, so I don't have a day, where I get little accomplished, from now on.

4/6/09: Worked on the first new textured tunnel, and added the first few lava geysers, which replaces fallen rocks, and the damage they caused, as the level gimmick, also, to ensure that proper time goes into Act 2, the 6/2/09 release, will only have Acts 1+2, Act 3, will be released 7/04/09.

4/7/09: Limited progress due to my author duties, which I'll try to take care of in the morning, from now on, basically I dug the tunnel to the outside, in preparation for the most complicated open area set up yet, that doesn't rely on tunnels, since that was more of an Act 1 gimmick, of course I will throw in one, as this Acts epic sidepath entrance!!

4/8/09: Well, I'm expanding the main area, and the entrance of the side area, and well, there are more weak bridges in your future, that's all I'm going to say at the moment, new screenshot Friday!!

4/10/09: No progress yesterday, since I'm sick, however I'm feeling slightly better today, so I'll continue work on the pack, and the release date is still set for 6/2/09, also I'll be posting a new screenshot later, for your viewing convenience.

Yes, I bumped for a reason, and that reason, is primarily hype.

srb21189.png

The entrance to Act 2's epic side path, in the distance, what am I standing on, you'll find out June 2nd.

Are you even working at fixing all the flaws in the first level? Because honestly, I would consider trashing it in the condition that it's in right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back