[Open Assets] SRB2 - Community Build! - Full color Edition! (PNG)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought "mockup" implied what the original posters said:

you probably loaded that up in a real 3D editor and applied a lightmap

and

That would take 10-20 to make in Google Sketchup

I did not use Google Sketchup or any other 3D program other than Doom Builder 2 for editing the level and CodeBlocks to add in these effects

No, it is not SRB2, but it is also not a separate lightmapper or 3D modeler like Google Sketchup

Last edited:
The only proof is the release.
It should be enough proof that this is more than just a mockup made in Google Sketchup or some strange kind of photoshop magic because of the screenshots that were shown: The first one was simplistic and could be assumed to be some kind of quick "Google Sketchup thing" - which is still a stretch because no lightmapper does that consistent light level effect unique to Doom and SRB2.

The second screenshot I posted was of a more complicated setup involving slopes and texture offsets which would be ridiculous to manually recreate and light using any 3D modeling software + lightmapping software to get such a screenshot.

I need to clarify what I meant:

Taking screenshots of an external program to that give you an idea of how it would look without having to write it into the engine itself? That is a mockup.

Yes, but what external program?

An external closed source lightmapper that could ONLY be used for a mockup, or an actual engine test of an entirely new kind of OpenGL renderer that could be implemented?

That's what I meant by it not being a mockup, this isn't made using some 3D modeling software or google sketchup. It's an in-app test of different kind of OpenGL renderer

Last edited:
"What external program" does not matter. What matters is that it was taken from some other program than the engine itself, with the intent of showing a vague idea of how a change to the way lighting works could look in the game without having to actually modify the engine.

But what I'm saying is that it's a DOOM based implementation - not a closed source mesh loader. The point is that this engine test I have being Doom based would be the only way I could be able to load up maps like that. And since it's Doom based - I'm saying it's possible to actually implement.

I'm not going to argue whether or not you consider it a "mockup".

You're missing the point - How was the image itself made?

1. Someone answer that question, and if it only takes 10-20 minutes in Google Sketchup, someone please show me.
  2. Otherwise, it had to be some kind of test engine that actually loads levels. Meaning it was more than a mockup, and actually a test of a new GL system

EDIT:
Even if you already thought it was so obviously a mockup, the original post had a tone of it just being a test anyway:
random crazy picture:
and
Don't expect such a thing to be released! You never saw anything as crazy as real time lighting and shadows in this engine!!!

Wouldn't that imply that the original picture in question was just a test anyway? - I never even initially said it was an in-game screenshot, you just assumed so without even reading the post.

----

But even though you guys think it's probably a faked screenshot made in some other 3D editor or something, Why is it impossible to think that it could actually be a separate test engine designed to focus on improving and organizing code with the intent of re-implementing it back into the main game?

And haven't I always tried to add things? Why is it impossible to think that this is just another thing I wanted to try adding?

You guys are convinced it's a fake, non-implementable mockup without any solid proof whatsoever.
SSNTails said:
Lightmapper?
- What's with the consistent light level for non-lit areas? How is the sky fullbright? What lightmapper could I use that gives results like that?
Cue said:
Google Sketchup?
- Would the second image really take 10-20 minutes to make, and could it be that accurate? And how did I render it? Google Sketchup can't make images look like that directly, tell me the renderer I used
犬夜叉 said:
PNG metadata?
- printscreen

By "mockup", I know "fake and un-implementable" was actually implied.
Which is why I said "it's not."

"Google Sketchup" and "External Lightmapper" - Come on You know assuming either image came from that is a stretch - answer how I got it to render like that.
So no, it's not a "mockup" like how you guys are putting it - it's a GL renderer test

Want to know why it's a separate program? Because this was implemented in C++

Last edited:
Okay, we know it's not "fake", but with all you said I'm curious, is it possible?

Yup, it's possible.

Here's some techniques on how to do it Doom 3 style:

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/duktroa/RealTimeShadowTutorial.htm

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resourc...ng/the-theory-of-stencil-shadow-volumes-r1873

http://www.opengl.org/resources/code/samples/mjktips/rts/index.html

And the concept itself is pretty simple - there's a lot of things to know before hand, but overall you can understand the concept without too much math:

3D Shadow Volumes 101: The main idea is "seeing what the light sees." - It's sounds a little strange but makes sense when you think about it - Anything that a light can "see" is lit, anything not "seen" by a light is in shadow. OpenGL.org has some good resources on how to do basic stencil shadow volumes: http://www.opengl.org/resources/code/samples/mjktips/rts/index.html. Id Tech 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_4) shows that this simple shadow volume concept is extensible even to large production games like Doom 3

There's a nice tutorial on the specific Doom 3 style implementation in OpenGL at: http://www.angelfire.com/games5/duktroa/RealTimeShadowTutorial.htm

----

Basic overview of the technique:

stencil02.jpg

"Stretch out" a shape based the direction light shines on it. The area blocked out by the silhouette of a shape becomes a "shadow volume" anything inside the shadow volume will be darkened and not receive the full effect of the light

stencil05.jpg

Technical OpenGL part: We use something called a "depth buffer" (it's kinda like how the computer handles drawing the pixels of 3D objects, for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-buffering) The depth buffer allows us to check if an area of the scene should be shadowed or not, 1 means the area is blocked by a surface, and therefore in shadow, 0 means we draw light at full effect on the surface

That's the idea behind how we get to this image: [/URL]http://www.angelfire.com/games5/duktroa/images/stencil06.jpg[/URL]

It's a pretty cool concept that you really don't see used a lot in most games (many games use precomputed non-realtime lighting).
I wasn't even aware of good graphics documentation like this when I first wanted to try testing out cooler graphics.

Don't think that just because SRB2 uses an old game engine means that more modern stuff like this is impossible to implement - it IS possible, it just involves some work.

When you look at the technical side, all you really need are some good sources & reference material, patience, a good programming IDE, and a decent computer(and you don't even need a ridiculously tricked out PC to run fancy visual effects either - my graphics card is just a integrated one!)

All that to help any aspiring graphic programmers and to show that I know what I'm talking about. :P

Peace.

I have a question about the PNGs.

Why both textures, which are the exactly the same, have absurd difference in file size?

THZWAL01.png
2.86 Kb ....
THZWALL1.png
48.22 kb

Both are:
- same dimension (128 x 128)
- same dpi: 72 dpi
- same color count: 18
- no color loss

But:
- the left one was saved once in my PNG editor: filer type none.
- the right one was extracted straight from the srb file (SLADE).

Exactly the same? I can see a noticeable difference between the two. Not sure if that has play on file sizes though.

Full srb2cb.wad released!

FULL SRB2CB.WAD RELEASED!

mIy0Z.png

This release comes with 1023 ported textures: all skies and all wall textures. I believe it's 100% done. Unfortunately, as Kalaron said, animated textures are disabled (perhaps, after this full conversion, he'll enable it).

If you find something out of place, report me please.

Installing: just download the attached file below, extract and replace the old srb2cb.wad, and start SRB2CB up.

EDIT: Attachment removed. See my next post for newest package.

Last edited:
Sweet! Although I'm curious. What is that level in that screenshot, Ezer.Arch? Slap me if it's just ERZ2, but I honestly can't place it.

/me slaps Charybdizs

It's from the gravity flip section of the left path. :P

*/me unslaps Katmint's slap and slaps Charybdizs

Yes, gravity flip section of the left path. It's a very nice place to take screenshots in OpenGL ^_^

BTW:
8OlzY.png
Wow, he converted all the texture to PNG, nice.

I still need to re-check the wad to see if I oversaw something and, perhaps, to get the wad any smaller.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back