Resource icon

[Battle] Lost Palace Redone (V2.1)

banan

Download V2.1

Inspired by Krabs' own remakes/edits, simply the CTF map Lost Palace updated for Battle Mode.

attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20003.png
    srb20003.png
    837.8 KB · Views: 2,917
  • srb20001.png
    srb20001.png
    571 KB · Views: 251
  • srb20004.png
    srb20004.png
    867.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Ba_AlmLostPalace-v1.pk3
    79.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Ba_AlmLostPalace-v2.pk3
    648.2 KB · Views: 296
  • srb20026.gif
    srb20026.gif
    7.8 MB · Views: 263
  • srb20025.gif
    srb20025.gif
    6.7 MB · Views: 262
  • Ba_AlmLostPalace-v2.1.pk3
    648.1 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Oh, I inspired something! Pretty flattering.

Taking a quick look at the geometry before I've actually played a match on it, here are my thoughts: This is great in a lot of ways - the flag base is a lot better since it's less cramped and has a less symmetrical design while also incorporating slopes in a smart way. Slope usage is definitely this map's best quality. Additionally, the reduction in areas that felt too symmetrical is great. However, beyond the flag base, I find myself wishing the original lost palace's geometry wasn't entirely replaced.

The original lost palace has a problem where the path between bases is too linear, resulting in many of the interesting side areas being ignored in favor of booking it in a straight line. Your version of the map has a similar issue, but now the hallway is cramped, meaning the battles that happen between bases could end up being kind of frustrating since there isn't room to dodge attacks or make unpredictable moves.

I also feel like the original lost palace had a really nice balanced shape to all of its geometry and the pathways intertwined in interesting ways. While I appreciate your efforts to replace the top path with something more dangerous to traverse, you mainly used sector floor heights instead of FOFs to do so, making the lower path much more cramped. Oh, and the little well in the middle will surely kill tons of players who can't tell it's a death pit and decide to jump in.

I'm really glad to see more battle maps get released, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from you, alm!

Last edited:
I didn't expect opinions on this so soon haha, definitely having considerations for what to do with the layout if I ever do update this (which I probably will when we get the MR music patch lol).

This is admittedly kinda rushed since I only spent 3 days on it.

Guess I lied, decided to update after playing a couple of rounds.
- Made the hole in the center slightly bigger to hopefully make it more clear it's a pit (if it was ever an issue)
- Walled off the straight line route between the bases
- To compensate 2 new routes have been added, with an upper area having an added hole to drop down into one of these paths
- Added a very small side area with a 10 ring monitor in the upper area of the map
- Slightly lowered a few sector's floors that were set to a weird value so textures align better
- Extended out floor of the lower area where you jump to the flag base a tad to cause less deaths
- New music edited from Cobalt's Mystic Realm Theme

Last edited:
- Made pit jumps smaller/easier since Knuckles was having a hard time as flag carrier
- Fixed the map not having a Skybox View Point

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back