• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

PTH's potato sack of things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rubber-duck.jpg

By your logic, you could say that a rubber duck looks like a realistic duck. Or that a cardboard cutout looks like a real human being.

Well, true. But you can't say 'they don't even look like springs', because as long as the basic structure is there, you can tell what it's intended to look like and thus cannot say they don't look like springs.
Loopy reasoning here.

<TehRealSalt> did he think the springs were rubber duckies or something
<MotorRoach> He probably did
<MotorRoach> Did he even LOOK at the springs?
<MotorRoach> " EDIT: I must argue that they do actually look like springs though. "
<MotorRoach> Oh my god
<TehRealSalt> but they dont
<TehRealSalt> They resemble them
<MotorRoach> I'm not even going to comment on that
<TehRealSalt> But they look more like a bunch of cylinders stacked on each other
<TehRealSalt> Yeah, it's not worth it
<MotorRoach> I outright explained why it sucks and doesn't looks springy
<MotorRoach> And all he does is deny it
<MotorRoach> Its like telling me that a rubber duck looks like a real duck
<Steel_Titanium> that's like saying if i draw a circle, and color it yellow it's a ring.

Moderator Notice:
Yeah, no, posting an IRC log of people complaining about the person you are talking to isn't constructive criticism. Or remotely civil.

Last edited by a moderator:
<TehRealSalt> did he think the springs were rubber duckies or something
<MotorRoach> He probably did
<MotorRoach> Did he even LOOK at the springs?
<MotorRoach> " EDIT: I must argue that they do actually look like springs though. "
<MotorRoach> Oh my god
<TehRealSalt> but they dont
<TehRealSalt> They resemble them
<MotorRoach> I'm not even going to comment on that
<TehRealSalt> But they look more like a bunch of cylinders stacked on each other
<TehRealSalt> Yeah, it's not worth it
<MotorRoach> I outright explained why it sucks and doesn't looks springy
<MotorRoach> And all he does is deny it
<MotorRoach> Its like telling me that a rubber duck looks like a real duck
<Steel_Titanium> that's like saying if i draw a circle, and color it yellow it's a ring.

I think you fail to realize that sonic springs are actually a bunch of cylinders stacked atop each other. Besides, I didn't 'deny' it, I just said it still looks like a fucking spring. You're just being an asshole now instead of being constructive, and also understanding the usage of the word 'looks' wrong. It's a simile the way I used it (and the way you used it to boot), which, if you could catch on, means 'similar'. Could you be any more facetious or is this just the icing on the shit cake?

...Also, rubber ducks do 'look' like real ducks. That's why their called 'rubber ducks' and not 'duck replicas'

Last edited:
metal-spring-15234681.jpg

I don't see any cylinders stacked on top of each other in here. Therefore, yes, your sprite looks, and is wrong. Learn what each word means before you use them.

...Also, rubber ducks do 'look' like real ducks. That's why their called 'rubber ducks' and not 'duck replicas'

You wouldn't put rubber ducks in a game like Duck Hunt to shoot at, just like how you wouldn't put rubber springs in a Sonic game to jump upon. That's what I meant.

Last edited:
Rubber-duck.jpg
Male_mallard_duck_2.jpg

help guys which one is the real one

EDIT:

<Wolfy> obviously the top one is the real one
<TehRealSalt> Yeah
<TehRealSalt> the bottom one looks like a duck replica

Thanks Wolfy

Last edited:
Ducks and rubber ducks look different, and are identifiable as related to each other. Generally, graphics want to look closely like something, rather than being merely identical. Classic sonic springs are stacked cylinders that spread out, but that's due to a technical limitation. You haven't mentioned it in particular though, so, uh, I dunno?

Phil, how you respond to constructive criticism is important - including criticism you think is wrong. Insulting people over it won't clear up any misunderstandings or generate any viewpoints that you find valuable, it just makes you look like an out of touch jerk, and leads to more vitrol. You're going to have a harder time getting real critique after this, because that's what people will expect to happen if they say something you don't like.

Regardless, the time to move on is now. That applies to the rest of you too - the responses TO Phil are getting out of hand here as well, and I just don't see the point in running this circle further when all it does is make trash.

Last edited:
Ducks and rubber ducks look different, and are identifiable as related to each other. Generally, graphics want to look closely like something, rather than being merely identical. Classic sonic springs are stacked cylinders that spread out, but that's due to a technical limitation. You haven't mentioned it in particular though, so, uh, I dunno?

Phil, how you respond to constructive criticism is important - including criticism you think is wrong. Insulting people over it won't clear up any misunderstandings or generate any viewpoints that you find valuable, it just makes you look like an out of touch jerk, and leads to more vitrol. You're going to have a harder time getting real critique after this, because that's what people will expect to happen if they say something you don't like.

Regardless, the time to move on is now. This is getting nowhere and is just generating trash.

But Motor's criticism is always so sharp. It feels like an insult q-q

But yeah, I guess so. I'm probably just over reacting, but I never really get any 'positive' constructive criticism from him so I tend to get irritated.
Though I can't say I'm actually not an out of touch jerk, I don't actually talk to people much so I'm probably an anti-social.

Moderator Notice:
When a mod says stop, you STOP. "Move on" does not mean "get the last word" or "defend my role in the drama/try to garner sympathy" or "generate more drama" or whatever you were doing, it means you shut up about it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here, have something from the crybaby:
Gu8XQxt.png

b6mLRau.png

0LQLDBP.png

ECzRSqj.png

otijPl0.png

Tf8GsJC.png

axkUhyn.png
I made a GFZ rock based off of this volcano texture I made. It looks pretty nice (in my opinion) and tiles well... Yeah.
Also I think the offsets are incorrect, hohoho
EDIT: Or not I really don't know this time.

Last edited:
Your usertitle would make more sense if you replaced the word artist with baker.

On a serious note, that honeycomb would totally look good in a bee-themed level. Maybe scale it up to double size, though? And smooth out the pixel jaggies? That would be a good step towards it being a brilliant texture. :)

The emerald itself looks decent, although really low on the contrast. You might want to apply some darker shading to it, so that way it has more depth.

The emerald itself looks decent, although really low on the contrast. You might want to apply some darker shading to it, so that way it has more depth.

So I added contrast, and I must say I should've started listening to your suggestions earlier.
0dWR1Tu.png

Because it's pretty.

That's a very good looking emerald. Definitely kicks the asses of the Emeralds in the game.

I don't know if that's really a good idea, but could they glow?

Dang, those GFZ tiles are so pretty~ I think they do look a little honeycomb-like, but, it's a very different look, and I kinda like it. ^w^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back