UeCBUlt.png

I wonder if we'll eventually get the ability to create custom Copy Abilities sometime down the line. (I'm trying to port the Jet ability but coupling it with a skin locks all the lua abilities, and it says that the HUD lua is to blame. Serves me right for trying to code when I can't)

I am absolutely amazed at how good this is! I'm impressed at how you managed to maintain respect to each series' gameplay when designing Kirby here. He's easy to use while still being fun, and he has a momentum to him that makes him feel right at home with the rest of the cast.

I love that he doesn't get killed by being crushed, his spritework is adorable, and the use of secondcolor is really easy to understand and simple this time around.

I do have a few suggestions but they're mostly minor visual changes to make him feel more Kirby-like.

I'd love to see more of a star motif in his particle effects, such as something like in Kirby's Adventure where landing makes a star pop out in a random direction, or stars exploding out of him when he dies. I'd also like to see some screenshake effects applied to some other actions like when you land with the stone ability, or when you die. And finally, I don't know why but it feels a little weird that Kirby's death sprite is straight up and down when he first gets hit, in the originals it's displayed at a 45 degree angle and then he spins.

One last thing is I'd like to see more abilities be made able to break through bustable blocks, such as the slide kick and bombs.

Overall this is a fantastic take on Kirby and I'm going to be playing a lot of this pink puffball in the future.

I mean I just assumed the slide just wasn't powerful enough to break the walls, (flashbacks to Modern Sonic and Eggman's slide being the exact same)
But i understand wanting Bomb to blow up walls. (TBH Fang's battle bombs should be able to do that.)

This character was awesome from 2.1 to 2.2!

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

And when you copy legacy characters you get the old kirby from 2.1!

Well... when I swallowed shadow the hedgehog then Kirby got a gun and the Icon was Ow the Edge and it played shadow the hedgehog's theme.

This kirby is amazing, with all the new stuff it's an incredible mod, though i am sad that the grantability command was taken off, i always loved to mess with it.

I love that you can add custom characters and objects to the abilitytable.
It would be cool if you could also add custom Stone sprites too.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but the filesize could be reduced quite a bit by compressing the audio files. At the moment most of them are WAVs, which are uncompressed and take up significantly more file space than compressed formats.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but Capture the Flag doesn't work properly with Kirby; supposedly he can inhale a flag and it will never respawn. Do you think you can look into this?

Kirby's been updated to v1.1! There's a list of changes below, as well as in the main post. Aside from bug fixes, some of the more notable changes are the ability for other add-ons to create custom Kirby abilities, and the file size being cut in half.
  • Custom abilities are now possible, as well as custom feet sprites! Details added to main post.
  • Gold monitors are no longer inhalable.
  • Kirby will now be awarded the contents of monitors after swallowing them after inhaling them, if it has no ability tied to it.
  • Fixed Lua error when inhaling a monitor on a sloped surface that caused any future spawned objects to break, caused by a typo on a single line.
  • Kirby can no longer duck in THZ goop.
  • Kirby can no longer aim any projectiles vertically.
  • Inhaled players (and objects) will no longer fall through the floor when Kirby dies.
  • Players being inhaled will no longer fall through the floor when Kirby gets hurt and drops them.
  • Stars and spat players now move at a speed of 60 fracunits, down from 80.
  • Fixed being able to spit when in pain.
  • Fixed HUD breaking when switching renderers during gameplay
  • All audio is now compressed, resulting in a much smaller file size. Music in particular has been heavily compressed.
  • NES sound effects have been rebalanced, and should hopefully sound better.
  • Fireball can now break bustable walls.
  • Fireball now recoils when hitting a solid wall.
  • Fixed bug with ice not destroying parts of multi-object badniks, along with a potential crash that can be caused by this.
  • Fixed being able to use stone in minecarts, ropes, and RVZ stones.
  • Kirby is now forced to unstone when using springs.
  • Fixed Kirby being unable to jump or inhale after entering a dust devil while using stone.
  • Fixed Kirby being immune to death pits with stone.
  • Bomb sparks no longer linger after exploding.
  • Bomb can now destroy bustable walls.
  • Tornado can now ascend by pressing jump or spin, instead of only spin.
  • Fixed wheel breaking walls too early.
  • Eggman TVs now give sleep instead of nothing.
  • Crawla Commanders now give UFO instead of sleep.
  • Canarivores now give ice instead of nothing.
  • Banpyuras now gives ball instead of tornado.
  • Added special interation with Silver

Not sure if you're aware of this, but Capture the Flag doesn't work properly with Kirby; supposedly he can inhale a flag and it will never respawn. Do you think you can look into this?
As far as I can tell, this isn't the case. Either way, I've added CTF flags to the inhale blacklist, so this shouldn't be possible.

Some quick thoughts on Battle mode Kirby
He seems unapproachable with his inhale combined with his small size.
Bomb seems to spammable and it has screenshake so the whole server knows he likes mashing shift.
And it's just hilarious to watch mic hit like 3-5 people three times.
Ice is also harmless to enemies.

Last edited:
I've done three playthroughs of the main campaign with Kirby, two with 1.0, one with 1.1. Most of the minor complaints I had with the character were fixed in 1.1. Given that Kirby is essentially 15 different characters with a similar core ability set, I'd like to give my impressions on each Copy Ability individually. It's a long one, so I've enclosed it in a spoiler:

Normal: Kirby really feels like 2D Kirby. Kirby feels so much like 2D Kirby that every tiny difference between the two feels glaring, and that's an accomplishment, particularly given that we've never had a true 3D Kirby game to compare with beyond Blowout Blast and Air Ride. It was difficult to aim the stars with unlocked vertical camera, so the patch helped quite a bit in that regard.

The only grievance I have with Kirby's base moveset is how puffing up interacts with momentum; or rather, how it doesn't interact with it at all. In all the Kirby games, puffing up has always functioned as a tradeoff; puffing up allows Kirby to move in any direction he wants, but at the cost of moving significantly slower in all directions. Abilities like Wing, Jet, and Beetle were all quite useful for giving Kirby the ability to move through the air with some semblance of agility.

In this mod, there's not much reason for Kirby not to puff up on every major jump, as it allows Kirby to carry his momentum even better than Tails can. The description seems to imply that Kirby is meant to be a bit worse at flying than Tails, but Kirby's much better at flying forward than Tails is, and has much finer control over his vertical movement. He 'ought to have a lower top speed while puffed up.

Fireball: Excellent ability. The mobility is quite fun to play around with, busting through walls feels very accurate to how the ability interacts with Metal Blocks in the original games, and the ability feels more natural in general now that it bounces off walls. Between Elemental Shield Monitors, environmental flames, and the fire enemies, it's one of the most common abilities in the game, and it feels deserving of that title.

The interaction with Springs feels a bit wonky; Fireball cancels out any momentum a Spring applies. It feels wonky when Fireball is used on a spring that launches Kirby in the direction he's fireballing in, but it feels even wonkier when used on a spring that launches Kirby in the opposite direction. Diagonal springs behave, unintuitively, like upward springs, and horizontal springs have to wait for Kirby to finish Burning/bounce off the wall to activate.

I think it could do with a delay between activations, too. It feels a bit too easy to spam in big open spaces like those found in Castle Eggman and Arid Canyon. The same delay Kirby experiences after hitting a wall would be enough.

Ice: Seems a bit helpless against bosses and monitors. Given that it's such a rare ability outside of Frozen Hillside, it's fine. Nice to see Canarivores give it now.

Stone: Excellent ability. Bouncing off enemies with it is hilarious. Breaking through floors is always handy. Not un-stoning on Springs was the only major grievance I had with the ability, so this update fixed everything.

I do think it has a bit too much availability, especially in Arid Canyon where both the Minuses and the Green Snappers provide it in addition to Force Shield monitors. Minuses or Green Snappers 'ought to give a different ability to give Arid Canyon a bit more variety; Needle, perhaps?

Bomb: Right where it needs to be now that it breaks walls. Feels like a proper reward for finding Armageddon Shield monitors. Perfect.

Spark: Currently the most underwhelming ability in the game, especially in the context of how common it is. To be fair, Spark was very underwhelming in Kirby's Adventure, but it wasn't anywhere near as common as it is in SRB2. It's a Monitor copy ability, but it's not remotely useful as its compatriots (Wheel, Tornado, Fireball, Stone, Bomb). It could do with some sort of buff; magnetically attracting rings while attacking, perhaps?

Needle: Perfect as it is, though the availability feels a bit lacking. It would be nice if an enemy earlier in the game gave it; the first one I'm aware of is the Unidus in Red Volcano. Pulling off bounces with it like a regular Sonic character is quite fun.

Tornado: Perfect as it is, fun to use.

Wheel: Perfect as it is, fun to use, availability is right where it should be.

Ball: Fun to use, availability feels very lacking. The only sources in the base game that give it, as far as I can tell, are Spring Shells and Bubble Shield Monitors, and that's a shame given how fun the ability is to use. It would be great to bounce through the tight corridors in Egg Rock or Deep Sea.

Sword: It's fun to slide slash through monitors and enemies. Doesn't do much for Kirby's mobility, but it's a surprisingly rare ability, so that's fine.

Hammer: Perfect as it is. I wish there was a source for it in Arid Canyon Zone Act 2, though; there's a lot of Amy paths that Kirby has trouble taking. I believe it's the only Copy Ability that can destroy spikes?

Mike: The third activation can be reused/recollected infinitely if Kirby takes a hit after the damage and gets the star back. Apart from that, it's great.

Sleep: Seemed very strange that Eggman monitors didn't give Sleep before, quite happy with how the ability is used now.

UFO: It's UFO, it feels like UFO, it's rare, it's fine. Only issue would be that it feels a bit weird for the shots to go in the direction of the camera when Kirby's air puffs go in the direction of movement.

First of all; thanks for adding some sort of support for Flare (The Flying Sonic one which I've made, since there's more Flare characters around the MB) it's nice to see that you added some sort of ability to him even if he's the most forgettable character in the MB since we have higher quality characters to play as

Now for the wad itself, this must be one of the most creative and fun characters that I've played in a while

It's a big jump from the 2.1 one, the sprites feel more polished and fit the 2.2 aesthetic very well, and the animations as well look very smooth and flow with the gameplay very well too

For the ability and gameplay, it was so fun to experience with all of Kirby's abilities, with the fact that MB characters and other addons also give you different abilities, making co-op or other competitive gametypes more unique to be played with Kirby, althought I wish the monitors still gave you some sort of powerup of some kind instead of doing nothing at all if swallowed, if possible, make the monitors to give you random abilities or specific abilities depending on what monitor was swallowed, but overall, I feel like everything is pretty much fine and well balanced as well

It's definitely one of the best mods I've seen in the MB so far, and one of the best in general, had fun with him on 2.1, and I'm having even more with this version

Thanks for all the efforts to make Kirby as fun as he is, and this goes as well for everyone involved, and I hope to see more like this on the future.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back