Team Kinetic (Dirk, Whirl, & Vesola)

Team Kinetic (Dirk, Whirl, & Vesola) v2.2.0

These two are so cute I love them.
I also love the cool special effects Super Dirk has, I think I might give my wip character some kind of Super/Fire effects for their superform too.
Also you don't need to add support for Kirby, but it would be cool if Whirl gave wind power.
<3

First you swing your arms from side to side
Pretend you're not always terrified!
Move and let the rhythm be your guide!
Now GET HYPOTHERMIA.

The sheer amount of attention to detail is baffling to me, it's clear there was alot of attention to detail in this

First you swing your arms from side to side
Pretend you're not always terrified!
Move and let the rhythm be your guide!
Now GET HYPOTHERMIA.

The sheer amount of attention to detail is baffling to me, it's clear there was alot of attention to detail in this

Should i listen to Trance or DnB?

not sure if this is just a problem with my file version, or a problem with mac specifically, but some things don't work quite right for me.
for dirk, he won't ice glide at all, and he only gets 3 ice platforms, period. that is, until he gets hit, which fixes both. although, the animation played is the spindash for some reason.
as for whirl, he can't ram, even after taking a hit.
will update after redownloading the file to make sure it's not my version of the file.

Update: it is not just my version of the file, but i have more information.
if you spindash as dirk while on a small incline or... uncline? it automatically glides, rather than spindashing. also, sometimes when gliding, hitting jump will make you glide higher, and sometimes it makes you jump off. no difference in inputs.\

i forgot to account for the fact i hadn't even checked if the game itself had an update since AntDude made his video on it. disregard everything.

Last edited:
I was messing around until I had an idea, and this is what I came up with...

Attachments

• ML.gif
    ML.gif
    7.3 MB · Views: 251
Last edited:
I was messing around until I had an idea, and this is what I came up with...

yes, just yes.
But seriously Dirk & whirl need a taunt because their one of the most popular characters on the Message Board... oh wait I haven't posted my review on this character yet.
Dirk review
Dirk is pretty great with his abilities but he doesn't feel complete and I will explain why later.
whirl review
I like Whirl but his lack of spin dash makes it very difficult to beat a lot of the late game levels in the base SRB2 game and sometimes impossible to beat mod levels which is where I get into the last part.
Dirk & Whirl duo review
This duo feels like peek SRB2 gameplay and truely feels like straight up dlc for SRB2 and I talked about how Dirk feels incomplete which is where my only complaints come in.
complaints
Dirk & Whirl don't feel complete when played separately but it doesn't matter when playing as both of them together is so fun.
final review
Overall this is one of the best mods I've ever seen with little problems so get it if you want a mod that doesn't ruin SRB2's pacing then get this

My thoughts about this mod

Ok, at first view it looks awesome! because of the sprites and the TON of work to make this beautiful and to show the affection to the characters...

Dirk is... Very great! It has unique gameplay, I have no issues with him or his abilities, except the "buff" of the ice surf... which makes you freely move around vertically without significantly cut of the speed and kinda makes forgivable the ice platform (except if you make it a combo) I liked that delay back in 1.1, at movement when you raise up that disappears when you grab some speedy shoes ... Ice surf was intended to move horizontally

Whirl is... I feel it a bit empty... (It makes me think of a Knuckles based exploration)... I don't use it too much due his charge, which makes sense to him but sometimes you need to dodge enemies in order to keep your high speed (and you don't have enough movement to avoid it), i don't have a problem with the feedback of crash at a wall, it may save you from a dead pit (If there's a platform below you). The propeller function is good for exploring but like i say before, the character feels empty... I don't know what to add to him, sorry, no idea

About the duo... Is a good team for exploration, i don't have to explain that much, (also the mario's dance i love it so much)

In conclusion is a good duo except that seems you put a little bit more effort to Dirk (don't blame you, everybody likes one part of the work specifically and put more dedication to it), though is fun to play with both and discover new lives and rings monitors.

The compatibility is a HUGE thing to do... So... Good luck with it if you want to do

But hey! It's just an opinion! An opinion of nobody!

Last edited:
I love these two bois very much. They have the cutest designs and are so fun to play, but I also have some issues with them:

Honestly, I prefer when you had to run at top speed to surf as Dirk. It added some strategy to controlling him and it made it harder to cheese the level because of it. This is also made worse with the added verticality that's been added to the surf.

As for Whirl, he's incredibly cute and his design is my favourite, but he isn't nearly as fun to play as Dirk... I think it's because he's only good at moving either horizontally or vertically, not both. Maybe if his propeller fly didn't remove his momentum entirely, but only a fraction of it? His charge is also very hard to aim in analog mode. May I suggest adding a brief period when starting the charge where you can steer more sharply, getting harder as he picks up speed?

Whirl in battle mod

I'm going to be honest with the battle mod part of Whirl.

Whirl in battle mod is kind of an unique character to play with, but he feels more useless than useful the most of the time, because of the lack of battle ability to be ofensive with. I know you don't want to give Whirl an ability because that would make him OP but hear me out, in modes like CTF with maps that has a lot of hazards and a lot of springs, chasing a flagholder with Whirl is like trying to kill a mosquito with your hands, extremely hard but not impossible. I would suggest to give him an ability related to is Aerokintetic that makes a wind box in the floor that absorbs people inside (maybe only 1 person?) and then Whirl gets a chance to ram on that box. But I would also make that people could parry inside of the box when it's on ground only. If the box was on the air, they couldn't parry or escape but it would be harder to hit the people inside with the Ram. It would make Whirl a more interesting and special character for battle mod, because I have only seen like 1 or 2 people that actually are Whirl mains.

Dirk in battle mod, well... he is good, no need to change.

Also, sorry if im bumping, but really wanted you to know this.

-- March 2021 progress update --

Hi! It's been a while since the last update (1.2.1 doesn't count because of a simple button rename in lua lol) but I've been busy with other things. I really don't have a whole lot to show off for what's to come next, so I'll put up a few minor ones.
srb20524.png

While this may not be a default feature, I've added custom skincolors to the duo. The two that are shown here are named "Admire" (What Dirk's using) and "Electric" (What Whirl's using). A small thing on what if the chars used their own colors instead of SRB2 main choice of skincolors. There may be more custom colors that you'll may even find cool when they arrive.

srb20525.png

Had this feature in the works for a while ever since SRB2P got released. Dirk and Whirl are getting support for this Persona mod. This feature may be rocking but its still currently incomplete. But they have their skill line-up, graphics, and voice clips ready for action. I haven't touched SRB2P for a while so I don't know when I'll have this thing complete and ready. You'll have to wait for this to be all set for release whenever its done. (Stats shown in the screenshot are not final and will be changed upon release).

Other than that, that's all I have to say for now. Have a nice day!

I dunno if it's the 2.2.9 update or what, but for whatever reason whenever I use Whirl and try to break a wall, he just bounces right off as if he hit a normal wall, not breaking the breakable walls at all. (breaking floors with the dive and spikes with the charge works fine tho) I've tried redownloading and reinstalling the addon and the game itself, but no luck. Was this feature removed from Whirl or is it actually something wrong with the addon?

Attachments

• srb20012.gif
    srb20012.gif
    4.9 MB · Views: 99
  • srb20013.gif
    srb20013.gif
    2 MB · Views: 109
  • srb20014.gif
    srb20014.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 103
I dunno if it's the 2.2.9 update or what, but for whatever reason whenever I use Whirl and try to break a wall, he just bounces right off as if he hit a normal wall, not breaking the breakable walls at all. (breaking floors with the dive and spikes with the charge works fine tho) I've tried redownloading and reinstalling the addon and the game itself, but no luck. Was this feature removed from Whirl or is it actually something wrong with the addon?

An issue since the game got updated to v2.2.9. Because inside the lua, the check changes the ability from CA_NONE to CA_GLIDEANDCLIMB when using ram charge. CA_GLIDEANDCLIMB had something to do with bustable walls at the time. That's been changed to having the SF_CANBUSTWALLS to the whole breakable walls thing. I can say for sure that's been fixed for a while. Unlikely that a v1.2.2 patch would be a thing.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back