The 2010 Winter Olympics - Vancouver, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzo

van_2010_logo.jpg

Has anyone else been following the Olympics? I understand that there's a significant majority of users here with little to no interest in sporting events (myself included, somewhat), but the Olympics are special. At least, they are to me. The games have this unusual power of bringing families, friends, and nations together to celebrate their identity.

And I'm not even considering the fact that they're on my home turf.

Go Canada!

Let's just hope we don't get a repeat incident of what happened to Nodar. Poor guy.

Last edited:
I have seen some olympic sports on TV.

And you are right. I live on Portugal and the Olympic games on this country are more important that you can even imagine.

That wasen't fair to Nodar. I will prey for him.

The Olympic games can put countries together but there's a but.
But it also can do the backwards.
I understand that. Sometimes families get heart broken because of the person who is
representing the country of those families lose.

I wish good luck to Vancouver and to the people that are participating On the Olympic Games.

Hey, look, Canada won a gold medal.

The Winter Olympics personally disinterest me. Well, at least the World Cup is this year, right?

The opening ceremonies were fantastic, what were you talking about? Did you not see Bobby Orr and Terry Fox's mother bring in the flag? How about Wayne Gretzky light the final cauldron? That gave me goosebumps, man, goosebumps!
--
(of course, this is Canadian pride seeping through...just try and imagine the biggest American legends came together for an event like this)

Just because a hydraulic gear failed doesn't mean Canada is to blame. Mistakes happen to everyone. There have been plenty of hydraulic malfunctions at other Olympic games. The ceremony was incredibly well done.

Canada didn't "make" Nodar die, either. Those kinds of comments are pretty offensive. :S

To be honest, I've never liked the Olympics or the Winter Olympics. It all stems from when I was a child and coverage of whatever ceremony/event was taking place would interrupt my morning cartoons.

God, I missed Fred Penner.

Yeah, its in South Africa Chisuun. I'm wondering if I should be rooting for the champions (Brazil, Spain, Italy) or the underdogs (Everybody else)... England's got an okay team I heard, maybe I'll root for them just for kicks. Or maybe (lol) I'll side with America. (haha)

As for the olympics, I should probably catch the opening ceremony on youtube, or at least part of it. I heard it was good, and I loved the Beijing opening... its hard to imagine Canada would be able to top that without going for some kind of cheap "shoe-horn a few celebrities to make up for it" trick.

So what events are at the winter olympics anyway? I didn't buy the Sonic and Mario game this time around (couldn't afford it... I wanted to though... D=)

EDIT: Wait... did someone die? O_o
I don't keep up with it, just read the topic and it sounds like someone from Canada ended up causing someone else from another country to die in some kind of accident or something? Or is it some kind of meme or running joke I am not getting because I'm not an olympics fan?

Last edited:
JEV3:
Let's just hope we don't get a repeat incident of what happened to Nodar. Poor guy.
In short: someone died while Luge practice was ongoing.

And no, you guys, it's not Canada's fault that he died. Or that stuff happened during the opening ceremony. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Oh, well that's some dangerous stuff. How often does this kind of thing happen? It seems to me that this can't possibly be the only event that could end in death if you mess up.

So how did people draw the conclusion that Canada was responsible? If they were practicing, then wouldn't the blame (if any) be on his coach or whoever? Of course, you can't really blame anybody for freak accidents anyway.

My last question still stands, so what events will be taking place? Skiing, figure skating, and I guess whatever it was that guy was doing (luge?). Bobsledding too, right?

*Coughmissingcauldroncough**Coughpeopleoffcuecough*, is there a draft?

So a hydraulic failure occurred. Are you really going to begrudge Canada for something like that? "We" didn't fail at the Olympics, there was simply a failure in instrumentation, which was out of their control entirely. Are you really going to colour your perception of a multi-million dollar spectacle because of something so minor?

As for people being off cue, I have no recollection of that ever occurring, unless you're somehow referring to the figure skating competitions.

JEV3 said:
EDIT: Wait... did someone die? O_o
Yep, freak accident on the Luge. He was going too fast, lost control, and flipped face first into a beam. Quite disheartening, but not in any way the fault of the host nation.

Here's a listing of the events at the Olympics, too. I'll note that this is the first time ever that an extreme sport like snowboarding is included, which is nice to see.

Last edited:
I'm not a particularly big fan of the Olympics (or sports, for that matter), but I love the opening ceremonies. I missed it this year, so I gotta watch it on YouTube sometime...

So a hydraulic failure occurred. Are you really going to begrudge Canada for something like that? "We" didn't fail at the Olympics, there was simply a failure in instrumentation, which was out of their control entirely. Are you really going to colour your perception of a multi-million dollar spectacle because of something so minor?

As for people being off cue, I have no recollection of that ever occurring, unless you're somehow referring to the figure skating competitions.

Yep, freak accident on the Luge. He was going too fast, lost control, and flipped face first into a beam. Quite disheartening, but not in any way the fault of the host nation.

Here's a listing of the events at the Olympics, too. I'll note that this is the first time ever that an extreme sport like snowboarding is included, which is nice to see.

I am so sorry. I was wrong. They did fantastic. They didn't beat China but they did good.

Oh Really? Unless you meant in Canada, then you might be right.

Yeah, I watched bits of peaces of the Olympics. I am probably one of the few here that actually enjoys watching some sports. I recorded men's hockey on DVR since I couldn't see it today. I might do the same for other events that I like.

Anyway, Go USA and all that stuff.

The opening ceremonies were fantastic, what were you talking about? Did you not see Bobby Orr and Terry Fox's mother bring in the flag? How about Wayne Gretzky light the final cauldron? That gave me goosebumps, man, goosebumps!
--
(of course, this is Canadian pride seeping through...just try and imagine the biggest American legends came together for an event like this)

Just because a hydraulic gear failed doesn't mean Canada is to blame. Mistakes happen to everyone. There have been plenty of hydraulic malfunctions at other Olympic games. The ceremony was incredibly well done.

Canada didn't "make" Nodar die, either. Those kinds of comments are pretty offensive. :S

Whatever news article I read just stated due to Canada official not allowing enough practice and trying to make a deadly slope...

But most articles on AOL.com are biased. :p

Screw the Vancouver 2010, I'm too busy petitioning to see one of the UK's biggest TV icons carry the torch in the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony. I mean, if it doesn't happen, it'll screw up the timelines and all that!

No, really, don't care much about the Winter Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back