How to play a game without the master server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Okay, I'm really getting tired of everyone running around screaming like the sky is falling when the master server is down. All the master server does is list people's games in a quick, easy list. It is entirely possible to play a game without it, and before the master server, we ALL hosted this way.

To join by IP, you'll need the server to tell you their IP address and then go host. Occasionally routers can mess up the ports and it won't work right, but 90% of the time you won't have any trouble hosting without the master server. Make sure that the IP address is correct. If you don't know how, two easy ways to get your correct IP address is to /dns yourself on IRC, or go to a website such as www.whatismyip.com

Once the server puts his game up, open the console and type "CONNECT <ip>". If the IP is 192.168.0.1 (which it had better not be, that's the local host), you type "CONNECT 192.168.0.1" into the console, and it'll connect just like you joined their game from the master server.

That's it! That's all there is to it. So get your friends together and play some SRB2. Don't let some master server downtime stop you.

I know, Spazzo. It just feels funny writing that to me, considering we ALL played that way for years and there wasn't any other way to do it.

I remember having a little sheet of paper on my desk with all of the IPs of regular hosts.

Of course, I was so young then that I didn't realize the wonders of notepad. =P

All this worrying about the MS being down made me almost forget about joining by IP, but I don't really care about using it as I don't want to play netgames anymore, mainly because I'm known for being very laggy...

hyperson said:
Hey Just Saying anyone wanna join me? IP:65.96.140.231
I would like to take this time to point out that we have a rule against attempting to start netgames on the forum for this exact reason.

Please use IRC, AIM, or some other sort of chat protocol to set up your private netgames.

I guess you COULD, but the reason we don't allow people to set up netgames via the forum is because it doesn't work too well. Private messages would be incredibly hard to use for that as well. Hence why I suggest using IRC or other chat programs.

Mystic said:
I guess you COULD, but the reason we don't allow people to set up netgames via the forum is because it doesn't work too well. Private messages would be incredibly hard to use for that as well. Hence why I suggest using IRC or other chat programs.

I don't have any chat programs.

Isn't the MS back up? All the other official SRB2 sites are.

EDIT: srb2.servegame.org is down, but ms.srb2.org is up.

EDIT2: And my masterserver is set to srb2.servegame.org, and it still works. In any case, this topic was made just after the ms came back up.

Monster Iestyn said:
Go to srb2.org. There's a link to the mirc website in the #SRB2Fun Section, which tells you how to get on there.

No matter what I try, I get banned from the IRC (#SRB2fun) always before I even get to join.

Why you think so? And you can setup server in game. Anyway, DC3 is better because your server visible for other people.

Silent_Snipe is right Hetor...I just made a game and i though:''There is gonna be alot of people joining''And only Zap610 joined.

Superusuario said:
Silent_Snipe is right Hetor...I just made a game and i though:''There is gonna be alot of people joining''And only Zap610 joined.

Zap610 is constantly on there for some reason...

I'm part of the staff there, I should be on a lot. Whether or not people use it is up to the individual, we can't make people connect and force them to play SRB2; we just run the program. Honestly, I would love to see DC flowing with the SRB2 community, but ultimately it's the choice of the user to connect or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back