SonicQuest - Beta 0.6 [mtf_sonicquest_beta06.wad]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double-Post

Chemical Hill Zone - (Match&Tag)

chemicalhill.png

Chemical Hill Zone 100% Done. Now to begin work on the 3rd match map then the 4th...then the 5th.... then 4 race maps then 5 CTF maps then compile it with the current levels for alpha 2...

.....X_X

Somthing seems to be wrong with the file. Inside the zip file theres no wad, instead theres a weird [1] file thing... If renamed to a wad it just says it is invalid or could not be found...
Yeah so uh... Help...

Well, you know what I think of the SP levels, so here's my crit on the multi:

South Island: I like the Sonic the Fighters reference, but it's WAAAAAAAAAAY too huge for a good match. H&S maybe. Maybe you should just remove some stuff...

Shadow Circuit Zone: City Heat + Gloom Metropolis - fun = This. Plain and simple.
No, really, it's WAY to plain and simple. And boring. And thoktoberfesty. And unoriginal. I say cut it.

K so I just played through it and I dont have any real problems with it...
Except for this...
srb20032.png

I'm a sucker for detail so being able to see into the next act at the end of act one and then not being able to see back into act one just seems kinda cheap...

Other than that I have no complaints.

On top of what Chaofanatic said, some people are able to avoid the end sector and still be able to walk around at the end with that black wall.

You know, like what earlier happened in your server.

This is my review of the single-player levels:

Jade Hill Zone, Act 1: 5/10
There isn't much wrong with this one, but it isn't a winner and it just isn't very entertaining. It's generally lacking in gameplay and gimmicks all over, and needs a bit more to explore. The scenery and length were nice.

Jade Hill Zone, Act 2: 3/10
At first, it was just as the first. However, as I went on, the level dragged on forever. There's ridiculous challenges involving jumping from small pillars to another at high heights, a large amount of wide and open areas with nothing to do, and it's very ugly and isn't a pleasant sight.
Remove the pillar-jumping challenges with something else, fill up the giant square hallways with some detail, objects, and gimmicks, so they don't seem so dreadfully boring and long.

Jade Hill Zone, Act 3: 5/10
It's nothing more than a round room with Eggman in it. It's too large and the boss is ridiculously easy, even without Rings. He's easily fooled into staying in a corner and doing nothing. Find a way to make fighting Eggman interesting.

Toxic Plant Zone, Act 1: 3/10
The level's difficulty isn't fair at the start for most beginners. People new to the game won't know how to cross such large jumps.
There's an instant-death laser, which should be flashing (I'm sure there's a Linedef Action that does this), and give only non-elemental damage.
The whole level is mostly a large amount of big rooms with nothing filling them up, or bland walkways. Fill those rooms up and add detail.

Toxic Plant Zone, Act 2: 2/10
Extremely easy. It's walking for the most part, with little jumps or challenges to find. The rooms are mostly far too large and feel extremely empty and boring. There isn't much texture variation, either.

Toxic Plant Zone, Act 3: 3/10
Another unoriginal boss. It's actually very easy, and the giant pit can be ignored if you're skilled enough.

Hidden Forest Zone, Act 1: 2/10
This level is very unfair. Not only does it contain several unfair traps, it also features puzzles which make almost no sense, frustrating the player. Remove the puzzles where you walk through walls and floors. They simply don't make much sense and you didn't give the player a sign as to what they're meant to do.
There's this one area where there's a giant river with branches. For whatever reason, the floor kills you instantly, which you wouldn't expect. This room goes on for a very long time, and it has extremely small platforms which are spread very far apart. After this is another wide, open room, where you have to get on a branch.
You then talk a long walk to a bunch of pillars, which are unfairly spaced, and are over a death pit. After this is another series of pillars, except you have to use a Spring to make it to one in the center of a circle.
Remove the puzzle aspects of this level, get rid of the death pit area, and replace them with something else. This level has some detail, but it's severely lacking.

Hidden Forest Zone, Act 2: 2/10
More of the same. It contains several unfair challenges and traps, and it's very wide and open.

Hidden Forest Act 3: 1/10
This boss is very easy. You're meant to guide the turrets' fire into Eggman. Mostly, what you have to do is run in circles while the boss nearly plays itself. It takes far too long to complete, and it's very ugly.

Overall:
Overall, this mod is a pretty bad one. While it DID show some promise in the first Act, it all seemed to go away significantly, becoming frustrating, boring, and a chore to play. The rooms are generally ugly, unfair, and boring.

3/10

Most of the things Kyasarin and Lightspeed said will be fixed. Areas around Jade Hill 1 and Jade Hill 2 will be touched up and added more detail. Yes the platforming in Jade Hill 2 is being removed. There is also another route now in Toxic Plant 1, so players no longer have to use the pipes as platforming. I'm either improving a little on parts of levels I feel suck or not messing with it at all. That is in till I get an idea on how to replace it. Oh and yes the exit sector bug in Jade Hill 1 is fixed. kthx. I'll do my best to better the levels as the mod progresses. When Beta 2.2 is out, you guys can rate the new details and challenges.

Sonic Quest Beta 2.2 Now Released!

Change Log:

Changelog - Sonic Quest - Build September 13, 2009 - Version Beta 2.2

Sonic Quest has been made a few changes and fixes. I'll list them here.

-MainCFG File modified some. MainCFG now supports the new maps.

-New levels, Green Canyon Zone (Match%Tag), Chemical Hill Zone (Match%Tag), Aerial Temple Zone
(CTF), Frozen Peak Zone Act 3 (Single Player/ Co-op).

-Jade Hill Zone 1 has been modified.

-Jade Hill Zone 2 has been modified.

-Jade Hill Zone 3 has been modified.

-Toxic Plant Zone 1 has been modified.

-Toxic Plant Zone 3 has been modified.

-Hidden Forest Zone 1 has been modified.

-Hidden Forest Zone 2 has been modified.

-Hidden Forest Zone 2 has Emerald collection support.

-No Collision Spike Problem Fixed.

-Exit Sector Bug in Jade Hill Zone 1 Fixed.

Have Fun!

Well, I played the current version. I can say that your level design is getting more interesting, however there are still a few problems that you may want to prioritize for your next release:

-The boss rooms are way too big. Boss arenas do not need to be so huge as the fact that you use one texture in the rooms makes the room feel more bland and boring than it actually is. Main point: you should shrink the boss arenas.

-I should also mention that while fighting Eggman in TPZ3, when I landed the sixth hit, Eggman fell through the floor and I couldn't hit him or finish the battle, unless I killed myself. May want to look into that.

-There are still some areas in JHZ 1 & 2 that could use much more detail, like most of those long hallways. You should also either make alternate paths in the really huge pools of water or more prizes. Main point: either scrap the hallways or spice them up more.

-Back on the subject of huge empty rooms, there seem to be a lot of those in TPZ. You may want to look at some of those too.

-You could also put some red crawlas and buzzes in JHZ. I know it's the first level, but this would help break up the monotony of blue.

I'm not going to give a rating because I know this is still in the beta stage. I know that your levels have potential; it's just up to you to bring that potential out. Spice up your empty rooms and hallways, fix the boss arenas, and just make the levels feel more alive. I know you can. Looking forward to the next release.

Jade Hill Zone

Both acts really looked and played the same for the most part. My biggest observation is that there are WAY too many crawlas. Also some parts of the level are too bland and need more scenery. There are some areas that should be jump-able but are not. Overall, this level is okay, but there is still plenty of room for improvements.

Toxic Plant Zone

The worst thing that I found was that I was unable to play Act 2 because I haven't unlocked the SRB1 Remake yet. Don't make it so that players have to unlock something with nothing to do with your mod in order to play it.

Act 1 has its own problems, such as during my first playthrough, I had to spend five minutes going in circles not knowing how to move on in the level because of a bustable wall that blended in with non-bustable walls. Try to make it more obvious, or even better, rework it so that there is a more obvious path. On a side note, I did notice a laser block that felt out of place since it was a solid color. It's fine to make it instant death, but try to have the laser be a flashing FOF or at least translucent.

Hidden Forest Zone

In Act 1, I kept going in circles because I didn't know what to do. I saw an arrow, but it pointed towards a solid wall. I couldn't finish the level because of this. In Act 2, There was one section where I had to make an extremely tricky jump just to clear a river of water. Also, this is just a personal opinion, but I couldn't get past the bouncy FOF's. Try to rework that section so that there's only one or two bounces needed.

Overall, You have a good start, but there is still a lot of work to do. In the levels I was able to play, several areas were a little wide for my liking, and this might have contributed to the blandness. The wider the area, the more detail you'll need. Keep going with this.

Toxic Plant Zone

The worst thing that I found was that I was unable to play Act 2 because I haven't unlocked the SRB1 Remake yet. Don't make it so that players have to unlock something with nothing to do with your mod in order to play it.

Act 1 has its own problems, such as during my first playthrough, I had to spend five minutes going in circles not knowing how to move on in the level because of a bustable wall that blended in with non-bustable walls. Try to make it more obvious...

Act 2 is in 2D mode in for some blasted reason SRB2 recognizes it as part of SRB1 remake. I don't know why. >_>

And for the bustable door. I put a ring in front of the one you have to go through so it is kinda noticeable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back