Resource icon

[Open Assets] KReworkD 1.8c - Moveset reworks for Sonic and Tails, new Force Shield ability

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
1.5a is available. Couple of bugfixes and some minor tweaks.

Changelog
- More refactoring
- Fixed Super Sonic not using his console variables to decide which powers to have
- Added a (fairly subtle) sound cue when you try to fly boost but you're out of boosts
- Fixed a scenario where Tailsbot could generate a "attempt to index local 'source' (a nil value)" warning

Version 1.6 is out now with a big new feature!

Changelog
- NEW ABILITY FOR THE FORCE SHIELD: Emit Force!
-- Fires a bubble of force forwards while simultaneously pushing you backwards. The faster you're going, the faster the bubble travels!
-- The bubble blocks projectiles, damages enemies on contact and explodes at the end of its life or when the center of it impacts on something.
- Hold spin as you hit a spring to curl up automatically when it launches you! Now you can stay comfortably curled up no matter how many springs you get bounced between!
- Added an animated HUD icon for Tails's flight boost! It shows up in first-person, or when you have powerupdisplay set to 2 in the console. It has a number showing you how many boosts you have, and its animation changes depending on a couple of things - try it out for yourself and find out what!
- Fang, Amy and other non-spinning characters can now use shield abilities after walking off an edge without having to use their air abilities first, just like their spherical friends!
- Fixed some weird situations involving Fang's bounce and shield abilities, especially that pesky Whirlwind Shield.
- Made it so only stock characters' abilities reset on bopping enemies and monitors. For non-stock characters, I'm leaving that decision up to the character's creator.
-- Yes, this is another change designed to suit Derp.

1.6a is now available with a couple of bugfixes relating to Knuckles.

- Added a check to stop Knuckles accidentally using shield abilities or turning Super when he detaches from a wall with spin.
- Fixed the unintentional removal of Knuckles's landing crouch, which seriously nerfed Super Knuckles by taking away his ground shockwave.

1.6b is now available, adding a slightly obscure bugfix.

- Fixed ability aiming (dropdash, double jump etc) in 2D mode.

Hi! I decided to go through the game with this mod with Tails, given that his new ability looked like it would reward skilled play over just blindly flying everywhere, and such was the case! Problem is, I sort of had to skip Castle Eggman Zone Act 3. The main problem is that, no matter what I do, I always end up getting stuck under Eggman's cage and dying. It might be a good idea to either create a way to decide whether you'd like to bounce off of a boss after hitting it or to simply revert boss knockback to normal.
vnUa8NJRQcspTaGdOnVaHyBA1vXfV5QMwJNMtirdtdqpME_ToZe1dw5l2KWMVDfDZNmX9sSKcAr5xvpWB68f75wsjxF7mGDwTxuip_14QiZCWXTNBxGaQg8ta_XXUYqotHWsfHP9jky32ajvgk0vu30IbcZP2vp56yS8tpnDfO6A959LX1J_x_B_qQtBeoNUhiGDVcDK9JOHCKcIB-GJoq352OCQVWMpXsZMY_cSupx1ePk-O9os9T02nqqKdEHMdmSAE0bbymmC55owkTjmTtf16W0CSrkJ1aMWjkburGU7JBDdHiTldgC1q2mmqyZu6VbIa1hErwGS1RchvozwvJXMXUCFuTQPXbrSgoVIkpgKwhjBxn66I_f6LjwmfcHbGnZGqyLnK5Wp9qsFVG-3jup_fGqmQ128uwYqJDOMlAVat77T0JpNMk9uJ-_oTj5faTNAlUb0oKxp1b6XHwkH2zWocV_sahI_hRj3mE4-2MtLEK36ZFIw0Vg0ErblmO1W_mMwd37qfkGoWYtxiraMNbzKkIVzSv2ZOBFvOQSxRrNn6V5rcFAg6qOBIJfCoVX8EYi5kMY5Shsey2EQJJm6WW7eaosL19UKB3lYdqw9nl98PVd0qgwgfE9B4vAp8n2MX4wP4iioJcx2Ig8WopVe-WY7aqOqlpFvI2N_ePsEm9hfhMSDfxVpu5n0VPGNFg=w320-h200-no

Last edited:
Aha, something's definitely going wrong there, you should still have some bounce but it seems like all your momentum gets eaten. I'll see what I can do.

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

1.6c is available!

Changelog
- Fixed a bug that reduced speed to virtually 0 on hitting a boss instead of the intended 75% of your previous speed.

If anyone's curious, it was the momentum reduction being in a MobjMoveCollide hook instead of a TouchSpecial, so it triggered multiple times every damage instance. I've moved it to a TouchSpecial.

There could be an option to Disable Sonic/Tails ability? (I really want to have Tails ability without Sonic's drop dash and double jump)

There could be an option to Disable Sonic/Tails ability? (I really want to have Tails ability without Sonic's drop dash and double jump)

Good thinking, this is a perfect time to try something out...

Version 1.7 is now available!

Changelog
- I've split the mod into three separate parts. The base pack, which MUST BE APPLIED FIRST, contains the general character changes and new Force Shield ability. The Sonic and Tails packs contain the moveset replacements for those characters.
- Fixed the boss bounce speed reduction not actually being applied.
- Fixed Amy being able to spam her jump+spin hammer swing.

I've also completely redone the OP with updated footage from the current version of the mod.

Very fun, but also questionable in netplay environments.

So, after deeming this modification suitable for multiplayer, I went ahead and hosted a server. Unfortunately, this addon has a couple of issues that need fixing.

1. Sonic's abilities wreak havoc on the server, with resynchs happening left and right. This is by and large the most important issue on the list, as it forced me to leave Sonic's new and improved abilities out of the server. We tried to pinpoint which part of Sonic was causing the resynchs, but there just wasn't anything we could figure out.

2. Tails is missing some of his sound effects. In particular, he's missing his recurl sound effect; it uses a thok as a placeholder. This can be fixed by simply copying the sound effects from Sonic's wad and putting them into Tails' wad, something which I did for the sake of not making everybody go insane.

3. When Tails tries to boost when he's already run out of boosts, the corresponding sound will play for everybody, regardless of their location. It wasn't too much of an issue, as the sound is rather subtle, but it's still worth looking into.

4. Whenever Tails uses one of his boosts next to somebody, it launches them up and prints
"collision
rising"
into console twice.
X_7WLbDlRHczDiARVBSUFMTMTdsYHW7AAOvNf7HwN4wTwq1dIPxBnL7w_TRqiN4rMZVDMWLE_JdMZ_DXWPACyRz5ZvbIZEPr_o_EFnc-Cfy1u9HF3PLYGaHTTuLW0bAphotEccxxtFUy64seizB2V0PnkgzcXsdbcpypYtDx45o0QDoS8bku-SBzT1IYmR-90HrhyKgU13Df_Fn5DAKWdZ2Xh2tdSLhmpgqtkRAiA90BTLVhHw7oIBH4ZRjbvmEGJHV12_izh0Y-suEH_kAvfUytlO5dA-qFSgW_i-xkFpZSJGa0-6WD0Akm_CGQxeB3VBiV8w4kci_zYYhN7POCTzO1ANAE4Dc5dp33jYRNsFTDhvH2bEuDJRJxeOrmM1VMSNswmON4W7o-vdKVPnu-t9lVCaphQ6Py5PI-OZxUclupmWdAbK3_EFplPgn61uUvPyOmj1oWGYYcXvLiC3l0yEJ3WJeSCJLnt8GrXNafnBWiUzJs3O__ZLLMD8x8Iroum28n9n_UkqsOpEoQV81nJSvButOItfK5gz00iiXV-CCiSwb6-V22bY0UbzGa7VbWxyYoetgPcwhezwBzW8ooDWOmmwvCDeM17qrkmYuq19cvEYcOaJCZeE6Rabrb8tX3B6oF3amG-6-2TBspKrn2Tn_35XrhFDzWACiGYQquiMQPa34oFxVJPbRwTZX9=w320-h200-no

5. Metal Sonic is capable of recurling mid-hover. As amusing as it is, it doesn't make sense.
3VEwRdnEGTEHLlgeupjCsFMTCRJ4DiEWQD9oaS0gHUt9iF1bpSa0K0tJIMBYhykbESQCDo198zt5PkYOC4soR5sU-ySHwYbVe2o5KA4xxrz2ODj0-GwcEI9hT3KtOWtw5YEM9yJytmLZmGJLTVSXWM9c8rzrbOSmTUn9EEeuPXJDXBse8qCyvtBh4IOUy-Ytk_mLtfUpfGJeQGrTfAtTPryY_24hFEzyvOwBOcB8YBrkf6YUenoeOVOu1iJgvbfpCx7z76O1dyZEFJmWJQSLsLpeeK9Y8xIjk7wg3Oexk_haBHGNgd6qx0wAw9wO6IRMwe-y2sjkqoSKngJXl2404MNZZ2xFvHizQIep3Vhcwu5L4y6h5qJ-v9ysJUrsuUl0GjJh8594kMvDvw86DbRdtu3I3P-MkQSObg1ewpwpEEFkBtK-KWYPeZntqB9EkHNNnMa083v4k0mlFe5xeNRDObBeZ538kX8ZQuG4UkyvUbY6x_br8gzC-6VxqkgoU-UddFV7yoo0x-MBYMPTJenEyopoYgDpmvIo-uTbtNEnF_xCFoW2M10NGPGBn9thwvUUzcGyN4NBjcKaI5VLIsBahuAr49sWjVyvOgpqh2DBk9g110XY6RtPcwrGYzKcEqJ5zujaEIgP131HIsOa20ygYRG6x5KwSz9WUG4nNnM72w2M3tly7L1GA7-DBYrg=w320-h200-no

Those are all of the problems which I've come across so far. I did have a few extra mods loaded, but I double checked and made absolute sure that each of them was caused by KReworkD in and of itself.

On a side note, everybody, myself included, was rather upset that Tails could not longer pick people up. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but, if not, I'd recommend looking into it.

Other than those problems, things are picture perfect, and I sincerely appreciate all of the work that you've been putting into cleaning up and improving this addon.

Edit: I'd also recommend splitting the Force Shield's new ability off into its own file. The reason I'm saying this is that it breaks Skip (if he dives in midair with a Force Shield, he dives backwards instead of doing a standard dive), and I know that it's not your job to make sure that it works with each and every custom character.

Last edited:
On a side note, everybody, myself included, was rather upset that Tails could not longer pick people up. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but, if not, I'd recommend looking into it.

As someone who was on the server, I can attest to this. Not being able to fly people around as Tails kinda made me sad, especially because now his flight's more balanced- now I actually gotta consider if I'll have enough height to bring both myself and them to where we wanna go.

1. Sonic's abilities wreak havoc on the server, with resynchs happening left and right. This is by and large the most important issue on the list, as it forced me to leave Sonic's new and improved abilities out of the server. We tried to pinpoint which part of Sonic was causing the resynchs, but there just wasn't anything we could figure out.
I don't know anything about networking and I don't really have anyone to test with, so this could take a while to fix. Very strange!

2. Tails is missing some of his sound effects. In particular, he's missing his recurl sound effect; it uses a thok as a placeholder. This can be fixed by simply copying the sound effects from Sonic's wad and putting them into Tails' wad, something which I did for the sake of not making everybody go insane.
Stupid mistake on my part, easy fix. The recurl sound should have been in the base pack, not Sonic's.

3. When Tails tries to boost when he's already run out of boosts, the corresponding sound will play for everybody, regardless of their location. It wasn't too much of an issue, as the sound is rather subtle, but it's still worth looking into.
Should be an easy fix.

4. Whenever Tails uses one of his boosts next to somebody, it launches them up and prints
"collision
rising"
into console twice.
That is so frustrating to hear. That's part of an ability I was testing with Super Tails in mind, the idea was he'd spawn a tornado that carries players up into the air. I couldn't get it to register collision with anything, so I set its lifespan to 0 and figured that was good enough for dummying it out, since it didn't actually do anything. Now I find out that despite living for not even an entire tic, it's doing something. Aaaaargh. I'll dummy it out properly.

5. Metal Sonic is capable of recurling mid-hover. As amusing as it is, it doesn't make sense.
Probably not too hard to fix, but you never know with these things.

I have no idea how this would work either technically or in a design sense, sorry. I can look into it but don't expect results any time soon.

Edit: I'd also recommend splitting the Force Shield's new ability off into its own file. The reason I'm saying this is that it breaks Skip (if he dives in midair with a Force Shield, he dives backwards instead of doing a standard dive), and I know that it's not your job to make sure that it works with each and every custom character.
Can do.

Alright, 1.7a should be good to go. Zipper said she thought it was a bit laggy, but I'm not on the best of connections, so it could just be on my end. If Sonic's ability or any other part of the mod is causing a lag problem, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Changelog
- Split the Force Shield replacement ability off into a separate pack for the benefit of Skip users. Any future shield changes will also go in there.
- Fixed Sonic and the Force Shield replacement abilities causing resyncs in netgames, with some help from Zipper. Turned out the culprit was the function that gets a player's input relative to the world. Don't put functions on userdata, kids.
- Fixed aircurling not stopping Metal's hover.
- Fixed the aircurl sound only working if you load Sonic's pack.
- Fixed Tails's "out of boosts" sound playing for everyone.
- Fixed Tails's boost making people nearby rise into the air.

E: Nope, broke something. Gimme a few minutes.

E2: There we go, fixed.

Last edited:
mMPygg3.gif

Maybe i'm doing something wrong here, but after loading up the Tails portion, I was not able to use flyboost or normal flight at all, Tails only went into his floating state.
I loaded base before the Tails chunk first, and it happened, then I tried it in reverse and it still happened. I have no mods that would effect this on.

Note; I was high up because I jumped off the high bit of that area to try and fly.

Huh, the Tails pack got deleted somehow too. I've uploaded it again, this upload should work absolutely fine.

Ah, fair enough.

Now that you've made me think about it for a moment, yeah, given all of the time during which Tails uncurls and/or isn't in his flight state, I completely get it.

Also, that Super Tails concept sounds really cool and inventive! I hope that you can go ahead and think it out, work it out, think aboooout it some day. I can only imagine how fun it would be to spawn TORNADOES to launch my teammates through the level!

Anyways, it's a relief to see that none of the bugs which I've mentioned were impossible to fix. I extend my continued thanks to you (and Zipper) for both of your hard work.

Version 1.7b has a couple of bugfixes, one fairly major, one minor.

Base pack:
- Fixed Twinspin users not being able to use shield abilities.
- Added glide-skidding to the list of states that refreshes abilities.

All other packs are unchanged, just renamed. You do not have to redownload or rename them if you have 1.7a.

Alright, I've been giving some thought to the Tails carry thing, and I think I have something of a solution. It's not perfect, but I think it's pretty cool.

Version 1.8 is now available!
Changelog
- Refactored a lot of code to make it a bit cleaner and easier to read and modify
- NEW MULTIPLAYER FEATURE FOR TAILS: Partner Throw
attachment.php

-- A replacement for classic-style carrying based on the team-up move Sonic and Tails use in Sonic Mania's intro and Sonic Mania Adventures!
-- Fly boost when you're near another player (shown by the fist bump icon over their head) to whirl them around and throw them! Keep holding jump, and you'll get your fly boost as soon as you throw them!
-- Where they go is up to them!
--- If they hold jump, you throw them upwards!
--- If they hold spin, you throw them down!
--- If they hold both, you throw them forward!
--- If they hold neither, you simply drop them.
- Fixed an issue where Tails would curl into a ball when he flew into water
- Fixed a situation where a swimming Tails might fall when he left the water after not having boosted for a while (ie while paddling down a waterfall)
- Fixed an issue where switching to Tails while the game was paused (such as in splitscreen mode) would print a console error every single frame until you unpaused the game

I feel like Super Sonic making the drop dash charge faster is a bit unwieldy, to be honest. I keep using it to get like a little boost of speed but then it charges too much and flings me across the map. I feel like you could just increase the power of each level a bit and that would work a lot better.

That's a good point and I can absolutely understand why that would make things a bit clumsy. It was something I just threw in cause it felt like it made sense, I'm not married to the idea. Super Sonic also boosts drop dash speed as it is.

I'm still fiddling with partner throw, I haven't had much of a chance to test other than making sure that it works so any feedback would be welcome.

1.8a is now available.
Changelog
- Fixed a bug where Fang could temporarily gain the ability to damage things on contact by launching off a spring and pressing spin
- Removed the doubled drop dash charge rate on Super Sonic
- Tweaked upward angle and throw force on Tails's partner throw

Last edited:
I ran into an issue with Tails being unable to fly with just the base addon added. Adding the Tails addon portion works fine, but I can't use vanilla Tails alongside the mod.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back