Tool-Assisted Speed Run: Totally Rad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTE

In the last three days, I have been working on my first tool-assisted speed run. The game? Totally Rad, from which at least two of Kid Radd's characters were pretty directly inspired. (Radd and Sheena immediately come to mind, though Gnarl is nowhere to be found in Totally Rad. Unless you think he's that purple robotic billy joel dude or something.)

You play as Jake (Radd) who has to save his girlfriend Allison (Sheena) from some cave-dwelling monsters which recently came out and started terrorising people and whatnot, but then Allison's father (who is some kind of scientist) gets kidnapped and you have to save him too.

In addition to the standard beam-charging fun, Jake also has the ability to transform into 4 different creatures, turn invincible, stop time, refill his health bar, and use a variety of cheap 'elemental' screen clearing attacks. In the video, I only use invincibility and two of the transformations.

What is a tool-assisted movie? Read this page on TASVideos.org... Basicly, I played through the entire game frame-by-frame and extensively abused savestates whenever I made a mistake, which happened plentifully. But in doing so, I have created a fast, exciting (as far as watching someone play an NES game goes), and creative video depicting my run through Totally Rad without taking any damage whatsoever.

I bet only 2 or 3 of the people who have read this far are the slightest bit interested. Furthermore, it is a good 124 mb as a zipped compressed avi file and runs about 21 minutes long. I'd put it in a torrent, but you all hate torrents, so I've put it on SendSpace, which you also hate, but not as much.

Regardless, I have no place better to put this at the moment. As this is my first tool-assisted movie ever, I have been a little sloppy in certain places, jumping a bit too high or shooting a few too many beams off at once... In fact, you can even see me improving as the video goes on, though I eventually discover how to bounce through the entire level invulnerably as the orange 'gladiator' Jake, as I call him, which may get a little boring after a time, but is surely exciting when you watch as I first discover it...

As I have been rambling, the file is finished uploading to SendSpace, so here it is... I will also submit the original .fcm file to tasvideos.org, knowing full well that it stands scarcely a ghost of a chance of being accepted, in hopes that it may inspire someone with greater skill then I to at least take a look at the game.

Enjoy it if you're into that kind of stuff, which you probably aren't, but please don't whine to me if you think it's sucky and boring or anything like that. I simply "won't be around to hear it," if that's the case.

Update:
Made a tasvideos.org topic: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4250

Alas, a work in progress from many months ago (last updated in May, work in progress since some time before February) has already bested me: http://www.geocities.com/ryan_ferneau/TotallyRadU.zip
However, it is incomplete, so only a .fcm is available for it and it abruptly ends at the start of round 4-2... Interesting, I suppose, though this one does take damage to save time.

I should very much hope to see this finished... Seems I hold the record for first complete Totally Rad run, but the moment this one is finished, that is one more burden lifted from me. I doubt I will be making a better run of the game, though if I were to, it would most certainly be better, for the knowledge I've gained.

The concept of Tool Assisted confuses me so much, but good job on holding the first record ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back