Ringslinger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charybdizs

>WTB lamp oil
Administrator
Kart Krew™️
I'm making a Single Player level for the contest, and I need to make it so you can toss rings. I was gonna make it run a script on level load that let you throw them, but, just to test it out, I tried playing the level and typing Ringslinger in the Console. It said, "Ringslinger is set to NO. Default is NO". Ok, all fine, so I typed Ringslinger YES, and nothing happened. I tried throwing rings, and it wouldn't work. How can I get it to enable it? Was I just using the wrong command?

I'm making a Single Player level for the contest, and I need to make it so you can toss rings. I was gonna make it run a script on level load that let you throw them, but, just to test it out, I tried playing the level and typing Ringslinger in the Console. It said, "Ringslinger is set to NO. Default is NO". Ok, all fine, so I typed Ringslinger YES, and nothing happened. I tried throwing rings, and it wouldn't work. How can I get it to enable it? Was I just using the wrong command?

Devmode has to be enabled to toggle ringslinger in singleplayer, for whatever reason.

Oh great. I presume that means it will be impossible to use it in my level?

Oh great. I presume that means it will be impossible to use it in my level?

Code:
Devmode
Ringslinger 1
Devmode
So, why can't you just do that? I'm assuming you're accounting somehow for what happens when the player dies and the level reloads...

Last edited:
You could get around that by starting the map in a location that has a one-way passage and a Star Post you must hit to get out of the opening room.

You could get around that by starting the map in a location that has a one-way passage and a Star Post you must hit to get out of the opening room.

...pfft, I feel stupid now. Ringslinger isn't a toggle, it's a command where you specify a value(1 or 0); the script could be run again and again and again without ill effect, in theory.

Last edited:
Impossible as in not being able to save emblem or time attack data after enabling devmode? Yes, I'm afraid.

It shouldn't matter in a contest entry, since the game will be modified anyway from adding the level. Unless you want to add in emblems, (which requires gamedata) it should be fine.

There are two kinds of "modifying the game": adding custom wads/socs/... or enabling devmode. The former is special since you can have a custom gamedata associated with it (which was precisely my point on my previous post). The latter invalidates any further progression on the gamedata, whether it's from custom nature or from plain vanilla SRB2.

Thanks for all the advice here guys. When you said Devmode, I was thinking the advanced one, with all the information across the screen. Now I remember that that won't be the case. It's just a single level, modifying the game when the level loads won't do any damage.

There are two kinds of "modifying the game": adding custom wads/socs/... or enabling devmode. The former is special since you can have a custom gamedata associated with it (which was precisely my point on my previous post). The latter invalidates any further progression on the gamedata, whether it's from custom nature or from plain vanilla SRB2.

I know, that's why I put the "Unless you want to add emblems" line in there. My point was that gamedata saving isn't really needed for contest maps.

Thanks for all the advice here guys. When you said Devmode, I was thinking the advanced one, with all the information across the screen. Now I remember that that won't be the case. It's just a single level, modifying the game when the level loads won't do any damage.

The script does enable devmode, but immediately disables it after enabling ringslinger so you won't notice it. (The "advanced" one you're thinking of is "devmode 2".)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back