This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Princess Plushima

Princess of Dreams
Judge
Mass produced Shadow Androids are invading SRB2!

attachment.php

Although the Shadow Androids have a homing attack, it's strictly a mobility option that can't kill enemies. They won't damage enemies by jumping on them either. So how do you fight badniks?
attachment.php

Your gun has a very high range and firing rate, but some bullet spread. You can move while shooting, but your accuracy will go down when you do.

On some weirdness with this release:

Shadow Android was created as an experiment to see how quickly I could make a not-terrible-looking character WAD using prerendered sprites and an established workflow.
It turns out the answer is "disgustingly fast." Truth be told I kinda felt like I was cheating. Most character mods are made by hand over super long periods of time by crazy skilled and passionate people, and here I am cynically automating the process. This next to Inazuma's crazy-polished-but-still-unreleased Shadow mod was supposed to be the punchline of the whole experiment, but it just kinda made me feel like an asshole instead.

Still, I thought it was fun enough to be worth playing, so I originally released it under an alias on a different website. I then noticed just how shady that website was, and quickly took it down- though not before getting some valuable feedback on discord. I can provide the judges with screenshots of my rendering workflow if they need proof that I'm the author.

Changelog:

V 1.1

• Initial MB release
  • Made it so that you can't jump while shooting- though you can still shoot while jumping.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause your fire rate to skyrocket when used on a ledge.
  • Made the homing attack set and check PF_THOKKED like you'd expect
  • Bouncing off of enemies only overrides your momz during a homing attack, and for a split second after. This means you can crawla bounce like a normal character now, but still don't get tons of free height just from a vertical homing attack.
  • Added a small cooldown to homing attacking the same enemy, to make it a little less silly.
  • Fixed the offsets on a couple frames before realizing how massive a task its' going to be and giving up for now.
V 1.2

• Implemented a minor improvement to the running animation by SuperPhanto.
  • The full name now actually fits on the CSS screen and i have no idea why it wasn't before, so I finally fixed that old baked-in nonsense.
  • Shadow Android will now spindash when there are no enemies nearby to shoot. DSZ2 is now beatable.
  • Androids who are eaten now taste as edgy as they should.
  • You can no longer slide around like a beautiful ballerina by holding the spin key.
V 1.3

• Shadow Android is no longer green on the CSS.

Attachments

• srb20130.gif
    srb20130.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 2,735
  • srb20124.gif
    srb20124.gif
    570.6 KB · Views: 49,044
  • srb20048.png
    srb20048.png
    22 KB · Views: 5,765
  • srb20133.gif
    srb20133.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 43,998
  • CL_ShadowAndroid-v1.3.pk3
    472.9 KB · Views: 4,915
Last edited by a moderator:
This...............................

is honestly really cool. Your model work has improved greatly since naysa. Great work! I hope to see more from you in the future! Welcome to Releases!

OH!
Long time no see (ok, not really, seen this for the first time on that other website)
anyways, i wanted to say this character can be improved in a lot of terms (like sprites and gameplay)
also, this is the first time we got a Shadow in SRB2, and is not even a conversion, CONGRATS!

so... about the first issue i see...
my eyes spots... this
the text is attached with the sprite, causing the text to not be fully visible

Attachments

• srb20443.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 706
I first saw this on GB, i really didnt expect to see this here.

Nonetheless, dispite the sprites looking like a 1094 character, the gameplay looks really cool from gifs, definitely giving this a go later

A couple things:
  • He can shoot while in pain state.
  • The reticle keeps aiming at monitors even after they're destroyed. It does not work this way on enemies. Actually, after an enemy is destroyed, Shadow Android gets stuck in the first frame of his running animation if the Spin key isn't let go.
  • Uuuuuhhhh the black-furred Shadow Android has yellow stripes not orange ones
Easy 5 stars though, I enjoyed giving Fang a taste of modernized weaponry.

So, i was playing as shadow android trying to get a feel on how he plays and how to get good at him, so i decided to play through the game as him but i was put at a sudden halt, as i could NOT get through deep sea 2, cause he cant spindash. or destroy the amy hammer things that fang and amy go to. im guessing this is a problem
unless IM missing something.

Last edited:
Honestly I wish they could've kept the ambiguity about Shadow from after SA2 to be an android... I mean from Heroes' Team Dark cutscene to one of the route in his eponymous game...

Sadly Sega doesn't know how to actually write that character.

So... Time to do my hopes for a good (and better) Shadow Android:
1) possibility to get a much variable moveset and to give to him the ability to access places he can't reach now (as Amphany stated)
2) if is possible, add special random drops beating an enemy (to simulate Shadow the hedgehog weapon obtaining system)
3) please, i would love to see how this character would be if the sprites were in 2.2 style instead of a port of a model (also fix the color from orange to yellow and the name in the character selection screen)
I know I'm pretending too much, but I'm giving useful advice for a better Android Shadow in the future

so... about the first issue i see...
my eyes spots... this
the text is attached with the sprite, causing the text to not be fully visible
I'd love any insight anyone has to fixing this. The issue is that "Shadow Android" doesn't seem to fit when punched into the CSS screen normally. I can't find particularly good documentation on exactly what kind of special characters I can throw in to fix it.

• Uuuuuhhhh the black-furred Shadow Android has yellow stripes not orange ones

In my defense I'm partially colorblind. ;U
(Those other two are definitely things I should look into fixing)
So, i was playing as shadow android trying to get a feel on how he plays and how to get good at him, so i decided to play through the game as him but i was put at a sudden halt, as i could NOT get through deep sea 2, cause he cant spindash. or destroy the amy hammer things that fang and amy go to. im guessing this is a problem
unless IM missing something.
This is another design problem I'm not sure how to fix. I BELIEVE (though I'm not 100%) that there's an alternate route you can take to avoid that room entirely, but it's the bane of many a custom character. Even if he could break through the floor below him, I'm not sure he could do the platforming that follows. Maybe if he defaulted to spindashing when there was nothing to target?

So... Time to do my hopes for a good (and better) Shadow Android:
1) possibility to get a much variable moveset and to give to him the ability to access places he can't reach now (as Amphany stated)
2) if is possible, add special random drops beating an enemy (to simulate Shadow the hedgehog weapon obtaining system)
3) please, i would love to see how this character would be if the sprites were in 2.2 style instead of a port of a model (also fix the color from orange to yellow and the name in the character selection screen)
I know I'm pretending too much, but I'm giving useful advice for a better Android Shadow in the future
The dropped weapons are definitely a fun idea, but after Nasya and Jet, I went in to this wanting to make a mostly-normal character. Mostly.
Real sprites probably aren't happening, as this whole project started out as a test of my prerendering workflow. I get that it's not great looking though.

Honestly I wish they could've kept the ambiguity about Shadow from after SA2 to be an android... I mean from Heroes' Team Dark cutscene to one of the route in his eponymous game...

Sadly Sega doesn't know how to actually write that character.
I know right?! I was super in to that whole plotline as a kid, and then they just dropped it completely.

It's HIM, the BOY
he SCHUT the BOOLET
"I am shooteng my.. gun!
- Alfred Coleman, 2020.
Raid Sha-
Alright, nobody should make that joke

So anyways, I started blasting

Y'all get it.

The dropped weapons are definitely a fun idea, but after Nasya and Jet, I went in to this wanting to make a mostly-normal character. Mostly.
Real sprites probably aren't happening, as this whole project started out as a test of my prerendering workflow. I get that it's not great looking though.

it's fine about the sprites, it's good seeing 3D models being used instead of normal sprites.
Also, you can ask to some people if they can help you with the name display

I'd love any insight anyone has to fixing this. The issue is that "Shadow Android" doesn't seem to fit when punched into the CSS screen normally. I can't find particularly good documentation on exactly what kind of special characters I can throw in to fix it.

I don't know if you've tried this already, but you can use a # to create a line break. That would let you put "Shadow" and "Android" on two separate lines.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back