SEGA to make ROM hacks sharable through Steam Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

MellowJacket

The unreliable judge
It's true!

Really!

This is pretty big news! And rather curious, I have no idea what SEGA is doing but I'll pay attention to this and see where it goes. No idea what (if anything) the catch is either.

Also I guess there's the SEGA Mega Drive classics hub, but that's small news compared to this nugget of info.

Here's a bit of story for those curious...

Ever spot those SEGA games on Steam? The ones that you wanna buy, but you know they're basically emulated?

As an owner of those games, I can tell you how it works - it's DLC for a platform called SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive Classics. Streets of Rage, Sonic 3D Blast, all that stuff, it simply sits inside another launcher that SEGA provides.

The title's a little assuming right now, as we do NOT know the details, but for now, we know that the platform will receive a massive rehaul on April 28. You do not need to buy new versions of these games if you have them. At the heart... it's just Anarchy Arcade exclusively for Mega Drive games.

As a fan of UI shells like 3DNA and the like, the idea is appealing, and I'm very glad SEGA is actually realizing that they need to fix this stuff up. As for the Workshop stuff, it does seem roughly like ROM hacks will basically become legitimate. After all, ROM hacks weren't commercially available anyway (unless you count pirate carts, which I don't) so it ends up more like SEGA is permitting us to make custom content.

At this point, it is definitely a waiting game, but maybe we'll see a big sale on these games to get people into it. I would hope so, if they wanna hype up this update and all.

I think the most disappointing thing right now, is the compatibility list... For an obvious reason. There is not a single Sonic game on it. You need to own some other game for the update. The list in the link can tell you it. I think I'm ashamed, but unsurprised. Sonic IS one of their most popular franchises, so offering instant access to the mod scene with that has the potential of overshadowing all the other mods that could be made. Again, we'll have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back