Level Design Contest Voting: November/December 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tainted Rainbow: 5/10 I wasn't too keen with this one. The textures really killed this level off, and the music didn't really fit within the level. One good thing however is lots of rings, and it's big enough to have a proper game of match in.

Elemental Arena: 6/10, very well designed, I liked the idea of going to different environment over the teleports. This has to be your best map yet, but it doesn't mean improvements can be made. First of all, some of the design is very flat in some areas, some areas need a bit more scenery (the air one doesn't), needs more rings in certain parts, and increase the size in some bits just a small bit, and it will be perfect.

Water Plant: 7/10, Now this is a great map. I love the scenery, and the level design. One problem is your weapon rings are quite close in range, and are easy to get, try to spread them out a bit especially the infinity ring. There's 2 so close, and are too easy to get. Also, add some more rings in the stage. If this was to be a CTF map, I would of given it an 8.

Autumn Breeze: 5/10, it's an ok map, but it has some flaws. The level design looks quite small, and it's pretty flat & bland. Occassionaly, it lags in the bottom area because there's too many sectors closed into each other in 1 spot. Try spreading them out if you can, although with that space, it must of not been easy. It also lacks in rings in some areas. Add some more in. The pathways in the underground, and in the uphill cave are pretty cramped too, make them bigger, other from that, pretty Average. I did like the teleport gimmick however, the n00bs would get annoyed with that =P.

I'm sorry, but I just need to understand what's wrong with my use of Adventure Mode. It was a little cramped in spots, but you can use the O and P keys to rotate the camera. I played it in Analog Mode several times before submitting it and didn't have a problem with the camera at all.

NOTE: I'm not trying to resist or deflect your criticism here...I'm just trying to understand it.

I have another option, Kuja. I could install SRB2 on another computer. One that can actually handle Portal. Then I'll just average THAT score with the 0/10 for this computer. I got to the part where you have to push the second gargoyle near the beginning, and I was just too frustrated with the framerate to move any further. Mystic and I'll Begin said Elemental Mansion had horrible framerate, and while it does have framerate issues, it doesn't feel like horrible framerate issues on this computer. The largest GAMEMISS I get on that is like 13%. I can handle lag a lot better than Mystic, too, but it got to the point where controls weren't even registering. Dandjr Palace is actually quite laggy in crucial platforming segments (25% GAMEMISS), and I'm fine with it, but your stage...I just couldn't bear the framerate any longer. I am not making this up. Also, Blown Fuse for me has perfect framerate throughout almost the entire stage.

And holy moly, Blown Fuse Zone as of this post is 8.67. O_O

Fawfulfan, Analog Control is something I used to use when I had a controller. It is totally unsuitable for mouselook.

:SonicMaster: said:
Fawfulfan, Analog Control is something I used to use when I had a controller. It is totally unsuitable for mouselook.

Huh? I'm sorry, I just don't get it. I have had absolutely no problems controlling the camera; I just use the O and P keys to rotate the camera when it's a little stuck, and if it's really stuck, I use the C key to zoom in on Sonic. Why can't you do any of that?

Maybe it's that we shouldn't *have* to? I don't know, but if I'm changing my control scheme because of level, it's because I'm not having a good time. Or, alternatively, I could just turn analog of and fix the root of the problem.

Maybe if I have the time, I'll re-release this without Adventure Mode and add some other improvements. I won't be able to enter it in another contest, though.

:SonicMaster: said:
I have another option, Kuja. I could install SRB2 on another computer. One that can actually handle Portal. Then I'll just average THAT score with the 0/10 for this computer. I got to the part where you have to push the second gargoyle near the beginning, and I was just too frustrated with the framerate to move any further. Mystic and I'll Begin said Elemental Mansion had horrible framerate, and while it does have framerate issues, it doesn't feel like horrible framerate issues on this computer. The largest GAMEMISS I get on that is like 13%. I can handle lag a lot better than Mystic, too, but it got to the point where controls weren't even registering. Dandjr Palace is actually quite laggy in crucial platforming segments (25% GAMEMISS), and I'm fine with it, but your stage...I just couldn't bear the framerate any longer. I am not making this up. Also, Blown Fuse for me has perfect framerate throughout almost the entire stage.

And holy moly, Blown Fuse Zone as of this post is 8.67. O_O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U24q-iZnWiU

You're kidding me. Well, MY machine is utterly unable to run anything near Portal, and yet I was STILL able to run through the stage like nothing had even happened.

My computer is a Dell Dimension E310. It has a completely generic factory brand Intel graphics card, with an extra 512 Mb of RAM tacked on(768 Mb total). Heck, I can even do it again in OpenGL if you still need convincing. Now are you going to tell me that your computer cannot handle this? I'm not going to tell you that it's free of lag. Not at all. It just really sounds like you need to close a few of those resource-demanding programs before you open another one. >_>

Ugh, this contest`s level entries make me feel like this is the absolute worst time for my computer to die...

yay i was able to install srb2

Anyways, I'm not going to vote because I didn't bother to finish some levels, and I can't find a netgame to play multiplayer, though I will say FF2 is my favorite SP level, and BF my second-favorite, though it's very far behind. I liked the music in FF2, it made me think the Wad Whore was going to jump out of nowhere everytime I found a secret area.

Also, I'd just like to state that a Circuit level restricted to a certain character should be restrictde to either Knuckles or Sonic, not Tails. Tails is far too slow.

Ratings Post
Elven Peaks Zone by Chrome 7/10
It was pretty good, but the music leaves something to be desired. Like a better music choice.

Adventure Island Zone by fawfulfan 3/10
NEVER FORCE ANALOG! Sorry for the all caps to those I was not yelling to. The forced analog really brought the level rating down. mainly because you are not Sega and Analog does not work.

Sand Valley by Nathan Speed 4/10
While impressive for a 2d mode map, It broke at the THZ turrets.

Green Hill Zone by Koni 7/10
Me likey. Is the monkey free to be used in other mods?

Blown Fuse Zone by SonicMaster 9/10
This impressed me even more than Sand Vally did. This level made me forget how bad 2d mode is.

End of Year NiGHTS by Glaber N/A
A semi-fitting end to the Year Of NiGHTS. So now ith the YON over it's time for the sun to rise on another year of the OLDC.

I figured that I'd make the level be based off of Bellbridge from NiGHTS, unfortunatly, the current NiGHTS did'n allow me to make a good enough track which ment I had to loop it back. This level was also the first time I ever made a Second Mare. Next Time I make a Nights Track. I might not announce it.

Hydro Plant Zone by verifiaman 5/10
Long and flat. You need work on your levels. How ever, If you did any of the sprite work I'm impressed. If not, relay it to the proper people.

Sunset Strand Zone, Act 1 by Azure Hawk 6/10
uhh. What's with the music? It sounds messed up. The lay out was good though.

Aquatic Labyrinth Zone, Act 1 by Kuja 9/10
Amazing Although a bit laggy in one part.

Forever Forest Zone, Act 2 by BlueZero4 7/10/10
Impressive, but it's missing badniks. B

Death Egg Zone, Act 2 by Blade T. Hedgehog 7/10
I liked it.

Greenery Pass Zone by Knockout the Echidna 5/10
The end left me dissapointed

Elven Peaks Zone, by Chrome: 7/10
Not bad, but not that exciting. There was hardly anything special about it, and hardly any gimmicks used. The only thing I didn't like was the Eggman boxes behind some of the checkpoints.

Adventure Island Zone, by Fawfulfan: 4/10
That warning notice before the level is wrong and therefore unneeded, as the level seemed to work just fine in Software. The real problem was the fact that it was an SA mode level, which caused the camera to be stuck, and a lot. Some parts of the level were also cramped.

Sand Valley, by Nathan Speed: 5/10
The level wasn't bad, even for a 2D one, but the cheap deaths and badly placed enemies were annoying.

Green Hill Zone, by Koni: 6/10
Yet another Green Hill Zone remake... But it's not bad. When I first played this level, I didn't find it that exciting. There didn't seem to be anything to set it apart from all the other Green Hill Zone remakes made, until I saw that custom monkey enemy in the tree. I thought that was well done, although I would have liked to see more of the original Green Hill Zone enemies, rather than the same old crawlas, skims, turrets, etc.

Blown Fuse Zone, by SonicMaster: 8/10
I think I recognise that Death Egg Remix... Anyway, this level was great! I think this is one of the best 2D maps I've seen so far. I liked the hoops, and how the zoom tubes moved you towards/further away from the camera. However, I would have liked there to be some secrets, and maybe even more paths to choose from.

End of Year NiGHTS, by Glaber: 5/10
Not bad, but as with some of the other maps in this contest, it's not that exciting to play. Also, Why did you make NiGHTS Super Sonic spawn on a small black platform rather than a temple like with most NiGHTS maps. I get the feeling you made this just to make sure this contest had a NiGHTS entry, which isn't good. And one more thing... the death pit doesn't kill you if you run out of time as NiGHTS Super Sonic and fall down into it, which means you're stuck there unless you're Tails or Knuckles, or you decide to start the map over, or otherwise quit. =/

Hydro Plant Zone, by verifiaman: 4/10
This wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either. Some part were unneeded, and you also put in an emerald token and 2 chaos emeralds. (there might be more than that, as I couldn't finish this level.) It's quite a long level, but there are lots of cheap deaths as well. That deton was annoying, as you couldn't get away from it that easily.

Sunset Strand Zone, act 1, by Azure Hawk: 6/10
I liked this level. That change of key of Jade Coast's music was totally unexpected. I would have liked to find more secrets than just a chaos emerald, even though you made it quite difficult to get, and in a good way. I liked the fact there were multiple routes too.

Aquatic Labyrinth Zone, act 1, by Kuja: 10/10
Woah. I haven't seen anything this good for quite a long time. It almost seems like it was a 1.1 level. I liked it quite a lot, even though it was quite hard. I managed to finish it after a long time, with only one life left. I liked the parts where you had to push the gargoyle onto the switch. Seriously, I think this level is worth playing again. I wonder if there's any secret things hidden in this map... I would have liked to see new enemies though, and the lag was getting a bit annoying in some places, but overall this map is fantastic in my opinion. I think you should continue to make maps like this.

Forever Forest Zone, act 2, by BlueZero4: 7/10
The scenery was amazing. I liked the music as well. The major flaw with this map is that it's mainly scenery. No enemies, hardly any hazards, just lots of scenery. The alternate routes were OK as well, but some made it quick to get to the exit, and others a long time. I found this level OK overall. (I've yet to see what act 1 is like. I didn't manage to download the working version of it in time. =/)

Death Egg Zone, act 2, by Blade T. Hedgehog: 9/10
Another great level over here. I liked the custom textures used, and I liked most of the gimmicks. However you could have given us a hint on what the colours for the platforms/walls meant, rather than having to figure it out ourselves by falling through a red platform. The game also crashed after I completed the map. =/

Greenery Pass Zone, by Knockout the Echidna: 6/10
It's not bad, but it's a bit short. I liked the textures used and multiple routes. There's not much else to mention about it though. Also, one of the death pits doesn't kill you.

My sister's computer cannot handle Aquatic Labyrinth Zone in Software, even if SRB2 is the only application, and it can't even handle OpenGL. This computer's processor is 933 MHz.

The family computer, on the other hand, can handle Portal with perfect framerate throughout almost the entire game. There are some parts with only negligible frame lag. SRB2 is not currently installed on this computer. This computer's processor is 2.53 GHz.

This post is to clear any confusion that may have resulted.

Hyperknux said:
Water Plant 7/10: Now this is a great map. I love the scenery, and the level design.
First things first, thanks for averaging.

Also, thanks for liking the scenery; but I'd like people doesn't just look at the aesthetics part.

In the first day when I started making my map, I wasn't believing I would get a good result... seemed too simple and poor at my eyes. But I had done a project in paper first (like Lift Bridge Zone), I was believing I had a good gimmick.

When I saw my map done and tested some times in SRB2JTE, I realized that I hadn't just obtained an eye-candy map, but a compact, flexible and "flow-able" map. I focused FLOW and AGILITY.

The map has 4 floor levels and ~33 springs so that you can create paths and tricks to hunt and scape. All levels and places are accessible. For example, you can "hide" in upmost windows of building and shoot from them once there are springs that leading you there.

Also, I decided not to use any hazard because I want players don't mind dodging death pits or like, I preferred them concentrating on shooting and hunting.

Hyperknux said:
One problem is your weapon rings are quite close in range, and are easy to get, try to spread them out a bit especially the infinity ring. There's 2 so close, and are too easy to get. Also, add some more rings in the stage.

I tried to equilibrate risk and reward. Infinity ring and bomb rings are accessible if you get into tubes with current (thus you can get just one, avoiding weapon abuse a bit, unless if server has set RESPAWNITEMTIME 0). Anyway, I have to agree with you.

Hyperknux said:
If this was to be a CTF map, I would of given it an 8.

I actually thought of it: a CTF map with that theme. But I had preferred to make another gametype... Lift Bridge Zone was CTF, now a Match... the next will be a *shot*.

Wow. This is, without a doubt, the most fun I've had judging a single player contest. Phenomenal maps, obviously with the standard stinkers. I think there are more high marks this contest than I've ever done for single player.

Elven Peaks Zone by Chrome - 7/10
This stage is well-made but majorly lacking a gimmick. I actually liked the Eggman monitors, and I really liked the sections where the holes in the floor would lead to the lower level where the holes make up the platforms. I really didn't like the Crawla Commander at the end, as it made for a cheap hit when you fall down from the upper floor as you can't see it. If you could come up with original stuff to add, this zone could easily get into the 8-9 territory.

Adventure Island Zone by fawfulfan - 4/10
This is an average map, with unnecessary adventure mode dropping it a point (thank god for the console to turn that awful analog control off). There were some clever ideas placed in here that really should be expanded upon instead of the adventure mode aspects. The bouncy mushrooms could make for a really interesting level design, and the excessively fast lifts could make for some interesting vertical gameplay. Instead, you went with button hunting, probably the worst idea you could go with.

Sand Valley by Nathan Speed - 2/10
And another example of why 2D mode sucks. This time, we've got some clever ideas to go with it, as well as a spring routine that frequently breaks and renders the level uncompletable, along with plenty of instant death hazards and other things the player cannot see before they die. It's impossible to tell where falling will kill you and where falling is necessary to continue. The score is so low because I had to play through the stage 3 times just to complete it because of the bugged springs. Test your map before submitting, please.

Green Hill Zone by Koni - 5/10
This map is pretty average. I really like the monkey badnik, and the use of alternate paths is quite effective. However, there are a lot of places where the player has to jump into holes to continue without being able to see the bottom, and the level is seriously lacking in stage design gimmicks. Also, a huge amount of the stage involves running on small passages with enemies. Open up the stage a little and give the player more space and it would improve this tremendously.

Blown Fuse Zone by SonicMaster - 7/10
Well, quite creative use of 2D mode to get around several of the major problems with 2D mode. By interrupting the flow with blue springs and other obstacles that disrupt the player's movement, you've eliminated the cheap deaths and issues with the camera that plague 2D mode, allowing us to actually play the level instead of fight the camera. The level itself is quite creative, with some great gimmicks and cool background scenery. The only problem with it is that there is a major reliance on teleports, which could have been avoided with creative use of the warp tubes to get from one section to the next instead. Also, it's possible to fall down into a hole and get stuck as Sonic in one of the sections. Great job, though. You've managed to succeed at making a good 2D map. I salute you for your effort.

End of Year NiGHTS by Glaber - 5/10
This is a perfectly competent, fun Nights stage except for one huge, extreme glaring flaw that nearly ruins the whole level. The spawn point is not a visible temple, and is instead a black textured floor that's impossible to see unless you know it's there. This caused me to spend ages flying around looking for the end of the level going in circles until I figured it out, and even then it's fidgety and hard to do. You NEED a visible temple in Nights stages. We do that so the player knows where they have to land to go to the next mare. This stage could have been an easy 7-8 if it weren't for that major problem. Other issues are that it's hard to gain any speed, constantly turning in specific areas and paralooping constantly. The scenery is quite nice, and I really like the second mare actually requiring you grab a ring box to get enough rings to pass the stage.

Hydro Plant Zone by verifiaman - 3/10
Okay, it's obvious that you put forth a lot of effort making this stage, and in many places, it really shows. There is a lot of territory here with lots of rooms and a few well-designed ideas. The map falls down, however, when it comes to populating these clever rooms with enemies and powerups, or should I say, populating these rooms with enemies. The only extra life I obtained in this stage was from collecting 100 rings, and the only secret items I ever found for going off the beaten path were an emerald token and a Chaos Emerald. Frequently I was killed off for being clever and trying to sneak into rooms that looked like they had secrets. You need to place powerups and other hidden goodies in the stage. Otherwise it's just long and difficult. Also, you have a major problem with those grate textures not matching up with the collision for them. Some of them are really tall and you walk through them, others are really short and you walk well above them. The visuals should match up with what actually stops you from moving.

Sunset Strand Zone, Act 1 by Azure Hawk - 6/10
Well, this level is short and there's not much here, but what you have is pretty well made. There are a few passages that are far too skinny, and there really needs to be more to look at off the beaten path. This would make a good introductory stage for a mod, but not much else.

Aquatic Labyrinth Zone, Act 1 by Kuja - 10/10
Well, this was a shock. I loved this map. While it's not really perfect, it's high enough up there that anything less than a 10 just feels like injustice. I loved the gimmick usage, with plenty of rooms, content, alternate paths, and just so much epic win that I beat it and immediately wanted to play again. I especially liked how when I went back for the alternate path, the alternate path had a completely different gimmick than the main path. A few nitpicks: The framerate in that switch room could use some definite work, and the switches don't always work correctly in there. I don't like the usage of teleports, despite knowing why they were used, I feel I have to point that out. It can be a bit hard to see the air bubbles with the texturing, but I don't really know what could be done about that. Overall I was blown away. Keep up the good work.

Forever Forest Zone, Act 2 by BlueZero4 - 7/10
I really don't know how to judge this. It's not really a Sonic level as much as a little world to explore. It's nicely done, with atmospheric music and visuals. I almost feel like this would play better with no rings or HUD. However, it's not really a Sonic stage. I quite enjoyed the level, but it would be better served in a mod designed for exploration with exploration-based goals, not a level design contest for Sonic levels.

Death Egg Zone, Act 2 by Blade T. Hedgehog - 9/10
Wow. This level is awesome. Even better gimmicks than Aquatic Labyrinth with the difficulty and visuals to match. There is one major problem that needs to be addressed before this could get a 10: The red/yellow/green platform gimmick is a cool idea, but you need to show the player what the platforms do before you put those platforms over a bottomless pit. Finding out the red platform was intangible over a bottomless pit was a meaningless death, and was just dumb. Maybe put a section earlier in the stage where the player would jump on the platform over a floor so they know not to step on them before they get there or something. Otherwise, this level was extraordinary. I really loved the breakable yellow walls and the laser sections, as well as the high difficulty that never felt unfair.

Greenery Pass Zone by Knockout the Echidna - 6/10
While this isn't bad, it's really just so short and there's so little here. Like Sunset Strand, this would make a good introductory level to a mod, but isn't a particularly great standalone map without any gimmicks. I would suggest making the water translucent, because there are a few bottomless pits down there and I fell to my death without being able to see it. Visually I like the texturing but it could seriously use some more scenery things. A solid, if boring, stage.

Anyhow, thanks a ton, all who entered this contest. It's been a long time since I spent an afternoon just playing SRB2 and having fun.

Mystic said:
The score is so low because I had to play through the stage 3 times just to complete it because of the bugged springs. Test your map before submitting, please.

I did. Like, once everytime I added anything more than three sectors. The thing is, like I said, I coulden't fix the bugged spring movement, I just thought that, Because I coulden't fix it, everyone might just not move when hitting them, instead of doing what everyone does in 3-D mode, and hold forward when you bounce.

Either way, thanks for the rating. Really, I never expected anyone to like this one the contest started, so i'm not hurt or anything, and this'll help me make a better level next time. Since so far, all my 3-D Single Player maps have failed before they really started, I've decided to tackle 2-D mode and try and make a good map with that. So, i'm guessing from everyone that I know KINDA how to do it, but I need alot of work. XD

Okie quick note to everyone about Hydro Plant, the skims, the monitors being 3D, the maroon crawlas, and the yellow goopers are all mine. Verifiaman never got permission to use em. The seaweed used by Kuja is fine, because it was in the asset pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back