Tortured Planet v10.5

Kinda a bump so sorry. Made (rescued) this account to try to get some help regarding some emblems I'm missing. Right now I got 130 and here's what I need help with:

• Sonic's emblem in SAZ1, Tails' and the star emblem in ECZ1 and the star emblem in GCZ1. I don't wanna know where they are, I just want to know if they are broken or not, because I've really struggled with them, and someone posted before that two of these four listed may be broken. Also I really don't want to look them up in the wiki to not spoil myself.
  • LGZ1 only has a Time Attack emblem for me, no Score/Ring emblems. Is this intended? The wiki says that all levels bar boss levels have 3 Record Attack emblems.
  • GCZ2 has some really weird behavior. If I try to beat the level normally or beat it for Time Attack, it runs fine. But when I try to do Score/Ring Attack, whenever I get to the end of the first moving-sand-ride thing, it slows down my game to a crawl. I tried messing with the video modes, tried changing my path a bit, but nothing helped. After I reached that point it ran at a solid 10 FPS no matter what. This path being: progress normally until the gargoyle path split, go left all the way until the gate, go back until you get to the secret with Knux's emblem so you get on the right path of the gargoyle path split. Progress as normal until the moving sand ride.

Since I'm here might as well praise this mod. Honestly it reignited my passion for this game. I suppose this mod isn't being worked on anymore but some thoughts, just those off the top of my head:

• Visual design is great all around. All the zones felt very detailed and interesting.
  • I found DDZ2 to be pretty tight on rings, unless I missed something of course. I did this level at least four times, and even then I could only beat the Ring Attack with 10 rings from the subway section, which if you miss, you can't backtrack to.
  • Spacewalk Act 1 is incredible, I dare say it's the best level of the entire pack. It has a incredible "ambiance" to it with it's open areas and good music. What really blew me away with this is how I could break the level apart in really really clever ways:

1. Grabbing the floating rings in the "outdoor" areas is a chore, so you're given a Magnet Shield to compensate! But you lose this shield in the water section when you flip the gravity, so the outdoor sections afterwards are a chore. Guess what, if you're with Tails (and probably Knuckles, haven't tested), you can go all the way to the end of the water section, after you've pressed all the gravity-flipping buttons and opened all the blocked doors, and go all the way back to the outdoors area where you flipped your gravity, get another Magnet shield, and cross the entire water section again without losing your shield! Afaik, there isn't another magnet shield after that, but even if there is, just letting me be able to do this was incredibly cool.
  2. The part with the conveyor belts was the only part I actually disliked about the level. Guess what again, it can be skipped entirely! If you took the left path at the split just before this part, you can flip your gravity, opening the door, and you can backtrack to the beginning of the split, flip your gravity back, get back to the conveyor belts section, and get on top of the conveyor belts! Even Sonic can do this skip, and you can still open the door at the end just by touching the gravity-flip thing, even if your gravity is already not-upside-down.

• The best thing about these is that I can't figure out if they're intended or not. They feel kinda hacky, but I can't throw away the possibility that they were cleverly thought out. It felt like playing Metroid for the first time again, where you feel like you're outsmarting the developers in their own game.
  • Other highlights would be Eruption Conduit, Gritty Columns and Fume Shaft. Sunshine Atoll, Drowned Downtown, Liftoff Gantry and Alien Armageddon are all good. I only really don't like Snowcap Nimbus because it abuses pits and breaks the pace of the level too much with them, but I don't even think it was bad, just meh. Spacewalk 2 also really lacked in comparison to the first act. In particular, the poorly shown gravity flips in the middle of space are pretty bad.
  • Among other minor things, the version is listed as 10.2 in-game instead of 10.5, and the new enemy in Fume Shaft sometimes leaves buggy "slime" that doesn't disappear. I think it happens when the slime doesn't completely land on one flat surface but not sure.
Sorry for the long post.

Edit: I stumbled upon this wad again, and now I happen to have a little bit on SRB2/Doom editing experience, and so because I like this wad, I think it's important to lay out any bugs I found so someone who cared about 100% this like I did can possibly get some help too. I do see that new replies are not allowed, which is what I intended to do originally, but edits are allowed and what I'm going to talk about fits quite well (I think even better) into an edit too, so I hope this is not a problem. If it is, I apologize.

(This is all as far as I can tell) First, Sonic's emblem in SAZ1 and the star emblem in ECZ1 are not broken at all. Tails's emblem in ECZ1 is though. It's placed below the floor in the middle of the void. GCZ1 is likely broken. As much as I tried to understand how to the trigger linedefs work, I couldn't get to it. I believe there's a mistake in the linedef, it should move the ceiling, not the floor, but I couldn't fix it either. LGZ1 does have a score attack emblem and a ring attack emblem, but they are set to GCZ1 instead and thus unobtainable (actually they override GCZ1's, which are supposed to be 73k score and 550 rings instead of 60k score and 450 rings).

Thus, at least 3 emblems are definitely unobtainable, and another one I'm 95% sure isn't obtainable either, making the maximum number of emblems 136.

Also, I moved to a stronger computer and the lag when doing GCZ2's score/ring got worse instead of better, so I still haven't gotten those emblems either. I don't really know but I figure those might be straight up unobtainable as well.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back