Rolly Polly Pal

world's most wanted criminal
After getting particularly drunk on eggnog after one Christmas party, Sonic falls into a deep sleep... only, he doesn't wake up! While Tails and Knuckles begin to panic as they try to find a way to bring Sonic back to reality, Sonic finds himself in a strange, horrifying nightmare that he must conquer if he wishes to escape...

This level is a remastering of the original Sonic's Nightmare, a secret level hidden within version 0.96 of SRB2 Christmas. The level design itself has been mostly unchanged, however a few major differences have been made to touch the level up and make it more quality:

• The Christmas elements and aesthetics have been removed in favor of taking cues from the various levels present in the game, based on each individual area of the stage.
  • The Crusher Sectors have been edited to fix an issue with moving wall textures.
  • A single Crawla Commander has been added to one of the rooms in the ambush section of the stage. Additionally, slopes have been added to each of the rooms.
  • The Crawlas in the parkour section have been replaced with Spring Shells.
  • The large open area with collapsing platforms has been given a complete overhaul, with a new colormap and the turret enemies replaced with everyone's favorite badnik, the Hive Elemental.
  • The underwater maze section has been extended to last twice as long as before, with a few optional goodies as well.
  • Other various tweaks and fixes.
Make no mistake, although short, this level is fairly difficult. Rings are minimal and there are no checkpoints whatsoever, which is something that has been kept to respect the difficulty and challenge of the original level. Still, if you fancy yourself an expert in SRB2, feel free to give this level a try and see if you can beat it.

Attachments

• srb20141.png
    srb20141.png
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,722
  • srb20142.png
    srb20142.png
    356.1 KB · Views: 1,437
  • srb20143.png
    srb20143.png
    169 KB · Views: 1,201
  • srb20144.png
    srb20144.png
    83 KB · Views: 1,382
  • S_SonicsNightmare_v1.96.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,147
Last edited:
I've noticed there are lots of unnecessary mid textures placed wherever there's a moving floor (see attachments)
The sign post at the end could also be rotated to provided a better view too.
But over all, it's a good rehaul.

Attachments

• srb20027.png
    srb20027.png
    70 KB · Views: 345
  • srb20028.png
    srb20028.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 328
I've noticed there are lots of unnecessary mid textures placed wherever there's a moving floor (see attachments)
The sign post at the end could also be rotated to provided a better view too.
But over all, it's a good rehaul.
Those are most likely remnants of the original level design, I might go back and update them for a future update.

Thanks for the tip, on a first playthrough basis I'd say it was fine apart from the maze, which is just straight up boring (the other parts are hard in a fair way while keeping you on your toes, which is always good)

Good work.
I myself never grew up in the Christmas Demo era, I started back around 2012/2013 in the late 2.0 days; I have gone back to admire the relics, however.
From what I remember of X-mas's level design tropes, this fits the bill. It was a fun little blast from a past that wasn't even mine, not to mention a challenging one. Kudos for converting this.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back