• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic Mars (Updated 6/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sort of thing can be difficult to do correctly. Fortunately, you seem to be doing quite nicely, from the screenshots. The only thing that worries me is the screenshot with Sonic running toward the camera, which demonstrates just how hard it is to see where you are going when running toward the camera at full speed. I would not recommend making many hazards in such situations, at least in early levels.

I think It would be a good idea to have a sector that changes the camera angle via script in that area.

Well, the correct solution is to simply not have sections where the player needs to know what's in front of him in situations like that. Anyone who's played Crash Bandicoot back on the PS1 probably remembers the issues that it occasionally had with backwards movement, but was otherwise just fine.

Well, the correct solution is to simply not have sections where the player needs to know what's in front of him in situations like that. Anyone who's played Crash Bandicoot back on the PS1 probably remembers the issues that it occasionally had with backwards movement, but was otherwise just fine.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm not going to put a flood of enemys in a section where you have little or no time to react.

The Crash Bandicoot camera was great. Since the levels in the original trilogy tended to be very linear, a fixed camera worked very well for it--and as you said, the less important it was to see what was ahead, the more restrictive the camera was. If we could get that in this mod, it would be really good...but it'll be hard to do it properly.

Level design looks decent. Some of the shots look like they need some texture alignment, but I think it'd be overall enjoyable.
It's funny. I make a camera like this and I get complaints, then you come out with the same thing and get praise. =|

srb20106.png

What could this be?

hmm...I like the idea

I like how the level pack is looking, I like the first screen too. I cant wait for a download of this when it comes around

I don't really like the wall textures that are used in here. Put more variation for it, especially in the areas shown in the first two screenshots.
I can hardly comment on the level design itself, though, as 2D mode's camera doesn't let you see anything.
I don't really think it's a good idea to mix 2D and 3D gameplay (I'd just stick with 3D).

srb20106.png

What could this be?

It's a "POIRUT SHIP"!!
...no?
Oh well. As far as the mod is concerned, I don't really know what to express my opinion on seeing as I have no knowledge of Sonic Extreme, but I will say that the screenshot in the city boasts some pretty cool texture use...can't really complain about a lack of variation considering that a city generally has a uniform look. Mixing 2D and 3D can be a good idea if it's done correctly, usually involving smart enemy placement, like everyone is saying about the screenshot of Sonic running toward the camera.

The textures could use some variation in the Jade Gully screens, but mostly on the walls. Maybe you could have lighter colored walls towards the tops and darker colors near the bottoms...if that could be done. All in all, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

ITS SOMETHING STAR TREK RELATED

...Wern't you making a Star Trek based stage at some point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back