• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Question about textures:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Othius

[A person in a place]
Sonic Team Junior
Judge
I have a question about custom textures, or more specifically, how to take this effect I have made and turn it into a custom texture. Figured some of y'all are good texture artists (or at the very least know good programs for the job) and might be able to help me out.

Right now here in Gay Baby Jail Zone act 19 I'm creating a pseudo-custom texture by putting the rainbow texture on six translucent FOF control sectors, changing their angle with flat alignment, and then tagging them all to the same sector. This overlays it to have this kind of hash effect. The issue is that this requires a lot for a single area, and it also lags like a bitch.

Any program I could theoretically use to make this a custom texture, I predict, will make colors that aren't part of SRB2's palette when trying to overlay transparencies. Not to mention I don't know how to use any program I could overlay this texture as such with. How would I go about doing this?

(attached: example of what I'm making)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• gbz19_1.gif
    gbz19_1.gif
    4.6 MB · Views: 705
  • gbz19_2.jpg
    gbz19_2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 360
Any program I could theoretically use to make this a custom texture, I predict, will make colors that aren't part of SRB2's palette when trying to overlay transparencies. Not to mention I don't know how to use any program I could overlay this texture as such with. How would I go about doing this?

I don't know if it is helpful, but have you set the Srb2 palette in SLADE? That might help while converting.

If you export the texture from SLADE it shouldn't have a palette or the right one attached. I guess you could just modify it in GIMP, Photoshop, Affinity Photo, whatever and try some export settings.

There seems to be quite some ressources about the palette and color maps in the wiki but I hadn't had the joy to intrinsically work through it, yet.

Gay Baby Jail Zone act 19

Are you concatenating random words?

You may be interested in learning about composite textures. Take a look at the TEXTURES lumps in srb2.pk3's root directory for some detailed examples, many of which involve translucency. You can use SLADE's texture editor to make your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back