Resource icon
This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
These are the NiGHTS Sprites that were officially used in SRB2 Kart's bonuschars from versions 1.0.4 to 1.1.
As of 1.2, they have been replaced, so I have decided to revert this back to the separate WAD that it once was for whoever prefers these sprites. This is both the last contribution I will make to SRB2 Kart, and the last direct interaction I will likely have with this community. If anyone wishes to port these sprites to the upcoming SRB2 Kart version 2.x, they are free to do so, but do not expect me to help them. From this point on, I am done interacting with the Kart community.

To get SRB2 Kart's included NiGHTS OpenGL model to work with this, add the line
Code:
BETANIGHTS KAPL/KNIGHTS.md3 3.0 0.0
to your mdls.dat.

What follows now is the original post made here, for archival purposes.

This felt fitting to make, given SRB2's history of containing NiGHTS homages.

Boasting a speed value of 7 and a weight value of 2*, NiGHTS is ALMOST as fast as Sonic, but not quite. This is compensated by slightly better acceleration.

NiGHTS was sprited in a way that takes advantage of the more varied, contrasting color choices available in SRB2 Kart. No coding magic utilized here. The "pomegranate" and "dusk" colors in particular give appearances close to NiGHTS's standard color scheme.

I had wanted to release this days earlier, but struggled to find proper voices. I wanted the voice from the Wii game, Journey of Dreams, so the character would better fit with alongside the other Sonic Team characters, but failed to find enough usable material. I also tried looking through Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, but looking for any specific character's voice clips in that game's files proved to be an impossible nightmare. (no pun intended)

In the end, I used the three tiny voice clips that existed for NiGHTS in the original Saturn game, and following the advice of an in-game chat, just filled out the rest of the "voice lines" with appropriate sound effects from the original game, as well.

The sounds were ripped from the game through the sound test, using the SSF emulator.

Changelog:
Code:
Version 1.2 (Final Update)
- Revived the separate WAD file.
- The improved sprites I made for Kart 1.1 have replaced the less colorful, tiny-headed sprites that were originally used when I first created this character wad.
- Adjusted stats to the ones last used in v1.1 bonuschars, which are Speed 7, Weight 4.
- Renamed lump files from "NTGS" and "DSNI" to "1NGS" and "DSN1" to differentiate from bonuschars NiGHTS.
- Split the Saturn SFX WAD into two, one to replace bonuschars NiGHTS's sound effects, and one to replace Beta NiGHTS sound effects.

Version "1.0.4"
- Added separate Saturn SFX wad, since the full wad WAS outdated at this time.

Version 1.1
- NiGHTS was intended to have a speed value only one below Sonic's. The SRB2 Wiki says Sonic's speed value is currently 8.
  The speed value of NiGHTS was changed to 7, from 6, in light of this. I don't plan to change it again. This is final.
  Not enough people were using NiGHTS at this time for me to worry about alienating anyone with a stat change.
- Head shading on ALL sprites touched up to be more consistent with each other.
- Front view of face redrawn to look a little nicer.
- Arms in front view adjusted to look more consistent with other sprite angles.
- Arms in back-side view (Angles 4 and 6) adjusted to look more consistent with other sprite angles.
- Back views of collar and head redrawn to look more consistent with other sprite angles.
- Split M1O1 and N1P1 into separate sprites for consistent eye shine regardless of drifting direction.
- All sprites had empty space above and below them trimmed in an effort to save a little more file size.

Version 1.01
- Converted WAD to PK3 and removed unnecessary lumps to optimize filesize for players downloading through game servers.
- Adjusted volume for NiGHTS's boost item use and successful opponent hit sounds.

Version 1
- Initial Release as a WAD file.

Attachments

• kart0020.png
    kart0020.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,323
  • kart0021.png
    kart0021.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 751
  • kart0019.png
    kart0019.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 543
  • kart0018.png
    kart0018.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 571
  • KC_BetaNiGHTS_v1.2.pk3
    339 KB · Views: 500
  • K_Old_NiGHTS_SFX.zip
    387.3 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
This looks really really nice! Though i wish Kart's purple palettes could be a bit more colorful, it really doesn't do it justice.

I've converted the WAD to a PK3 for the new SRB2 Kart update. This is for the convenience of anyone hosting a server with this character who has people without the character connect to them.
I also increased the volume of a couple of sounds since I didn't think they were noticeable enough.

I've given NiGHTS's sprites various facelifts, and adjusted the speed value from 6 to 7.
Unless I figure out a good implementation of that two-layer sprite palette script that the Mario and Kirby WADs use, this will likely be the last update I make to it.

I've updated this to exist on its own alongside the new sprites used in SRB2 Kart version 1.2. This will be the last direct interaction I make with the Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart community.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back