This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Marcos

Marcos
Balanced Sonic is a Lua modification to Sonic's ability to make him more begginer friendly while still being veteran tough.

attachment.php

Balanced Sonic's name comes from the balance between speed and platforming.

• His main ability has been turned into the double jump, easy as that
  • His secondary ability is now the speed thok, performed by pressing spin while in mid air
  • He is now also able to run on water

With these abilities, Balanced Sonic becomes a begginer-option for it's wasy platforming, while also being an incredible choice for veterans and speedrunners.

You are able to thok after the jump and the double jump, but you aren't able to double jump after thokking, remember this.

Man553# for getting me started and suggesting that rather than being a separate character
I made it into a Lua script for Sonic while also helping me to do so

Rapidgame7#1949 for helping me with some incorrect syntax

Zipper#2540 for making my life a lot easier with the code and answering my questions,
while also correcting some of my errors and making the Lua tutorials that got me started
into this mod

kays#5325 for the easier way to float as super whilst not having thok

nexit1337#5352 for telling me how to identify if you are underwater

Tatsuru#8938 for teaching me all the flag variables and helping with the underwater identifier

Alacroix#9812 for the Character Select Screen artwork (basically all the vanilla SRB2 2.2
artwork is hers anyways)

The people at #spriting for giving their opinion with the thik and the thuk (underwater thik)

Even to the ones that helped me with unnoticeable things, thank you

Once again to all the people that helped me, thank you.

By the way Balanced Sonic is able to float when in Super form, with the thok acting as a boost. This can help to begin floating if you find yourself in narrow spaces.

Attachments

• srb20342.gif
    srb20342.gif
    5.8 MB · Views: 717
  • srb20343.gif
    srb20343.gif
    7.4 MB · Views: 709
  • srb20347.gif
    srb20347.gif
    3 MB · Views: 506
  • srb20360.gif
    srb20360.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 515
  • srb20357.gif
    srb20357.gif
    5.3 MB · Views: 14,938
  • L_BalancedSonic-v1.pk3
    20.9 KB · Views: 3,824
Last edited:
this alternatives to kick off THOK are probably the funniest, yet intelligent things i really wanted to see happen

I know it's a really small detail, but I love the fact that you gave the Thok a separate muffled sound clip for when it's used underwater.

srb25215.gif

You could've made a Momentum flip-esque double jump. The spindash could be where the speed comes in.

Last edited:
Okay, ngl, I'm against calling mods a "fix", "balance", or a "better than thou" situation, since it tends to get unwanted attention and debate.

Even though balance tends to be a subjective thing in this community, Imma be real with you chief, this ain't balanced, not by a longshot. In the context of ringslinger, Sonic would be able to navigate every map as if it was Meadow Match, making him go from unbalanced to fucking broken. In the context of singleplayer, I will agree that this makes him a more enticing character to beginners, in the sense that he offers more than the standard cast, both in speedrunning and in casual play.

As for the mod itself, its kinda fun breaking stages and dashing through to your hearts content. My only criticism is to call this an alternative sonic rather than """""balanced""""", bc of the reasons above.

Okay, ngl, I'm against calling mods a "fix", "balance", or a "better than thou" situation, since it tends to get unwanted attention and debate.

Even though balance tends to be a subjective thing in this community, Imma be real with you chief, this ain't balanced, not by a longshot. In the context of ringslinger, Sonic would be able to navigate every map as if it was Meadow Match, making him go from unbalanced to fucking broken. In the context of singleplayer, I will agree that this makes him a more enticing character to beginners, in the sense that he offers more than the standard cast, both in speedrunning and in casual play.

As for the mod itself, its kinda fun breaking stages and dashing through to your hearts content. My only criticism is to call this an alternative sonic rather than """""balanced""""", bc of the reasons above.

Bro I think balanced is a joke.

Bro I think balanced is a joke.

Indeed the name is mostly a joke (It's not like I couldn't think of a name, of course not). At first I was gonna call it 23Sonic because recently it has been debated that the thok will be removed in further versions of SRB2 [or so I understood (Probably 2.3, hence the 23)], so 23Sonic would be "removing" the thok while also not removing the thok, and giving Sonic an ability suited for begginers. But after I thought that calling 23Sonic would also open more debates (and it could also trigger the "2.3 when" thing), I just called it Balanced Sonic since it's the balance between Thok people and Anti-Thok people.
But yeah, the main reason I called it like that is because I didn't know how to, since I believe an "Alternative Sonic" already exists.
So Balanced Sonic shouldn't really be considered the "Balance between speed and platforming" like I stated, but rather the balance between the SRB2 community itself.
Balanced Sonic is a joke but a quality one, don't you think?

TL;DR: Didn't know how to call it, the name is kind of a joke

Indeed the name is mostly a joke (It's not like I couldn't think of a name, of course not). At first I was gonna call it 23Sonic because recently it has been debated that the thok will be removed in further versions of SRB2 [or so I understood (Probably 2.3, hence the 23)], so 23Sonic would be "removing" the thok while also not removing the thok, and giving Sonic an ability suited for begginers. But after I thought that calling 23Sonic would also open more debates (and it could also trigger the "2.3 when" thing), I just called it Balanced Sonic since it's the balance between Thok people and Anti-Thok people.
But yeah, the main reason I called it like that is because I didn't know how to, since I believe an "Alternative Sonic" already exists.
So Balanced Sonic shouldn't really be considered the "Balance between speed and platforming" like I stated, but rather the balance between the SRB2 community itself.
Balanced Sonic is a joke but a quality one, don't you think?

TL;DR: Didn't know how to call it, the name is kind of a joke

I like it, because it allows me to double jump. I will say though that if people don't like the speed Thok then they should just use another sonic.

Another Sonic edit just waiting to become a custom character just like Alt. Sonic, except for it to, like, NOT be just another Sonic, it just needs some super cool custom sprites for the character and voila, the perfect Sonic.
But then again, there are some Sonics here that already have not-another-sonic sprites (ex; Modern Sonic).

Can you please make a version with the ability to use Shield abilities, because it can become a minor problem sometimes for me.

So uh...

37PudJd.gif

If you hold spin on the ground, then jump, Sonic near instantly performs a thok almost every time you press jump from the ground. Sometimes it doesn't even register I landed on the ground oddly- that's also an issue- sometimes when I land and jump immediately after, I can't thok again till I next land- and even then sometimes it doesn't register when I land a second time. I have to wait when I land for a moment, which can really be bad for speedrunning.

You can see an example of this whenever he double-jumps rather than thoks.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back