What are some good Sonic games for the XBOX?

Thanks to the power of backwards compatibility, I can play XBOX games on my XBOX 360!

..So, what are some good Sonic games for the XBOX?

Sonic Heroes, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic Riders are the only Sonic games on the OG Xbox.

Sonic Heroes is a decent game, I think everyone should try it out at some point.
Sonic Mega Collection Plus is just a compilation of old 90s Sonic games, most of which I assume you've already played. If you wanted to play the 8-bit games then that'd be a good way to do so.
Shadow the Hedgehog has a pretty bad rep for being dark and edgy, I haven't played it because there was never a PC release.
Sonic Riders is a racing game using hoverboards that I've yet to play, so I can't tell you what it's like.

Sonic Mega Collection Plus? Honestly the original Xbox only got ports of post-SA2 games...

There never was any Xbox/360 exclusive Sonic game anyway (even 06 got a PS3 port).

Shadow The Hedgehog didn't get a bad rep just for being dark and edgy. It had a bad rep because it had not executed its dark themes very well. It was very cheesy and more hilarious than anything, stuffing in swearing just for the sake of edge, and that's not how you do it. There were also character issues and control issues for what I've heard, but overall I wouldn't recommend playing it anyway. Though my older brother had enjoyed this game back when he had played it on the GameCube, it isn't likely you will also. Don't take your chances.

Should note that the original Xbox Sonic games don't really work all that well on Xbox 360. Aside from graphical and performance issues, Shadow the Hedgehog in particular (or at least the PAL version) likes to randomly crash on loading screens about 50% of the time, making a full playthrough next to impossible. That's the only one I've tested, but it's my understanding that Sonic Riders has some serious graphical bugs too.

Also, realtalk, I personally think Shadow the Hedgehog is a worse game than Sonic '06. It tries to be both a shooter and a platformer and fails at both. The story is okay but the level design is infuriating and the controls are terrible. Sonic '06 may be a broken mess of a game but at least it has heart. Sonic Heroes is also really difficult to go back to these days.

In any case, you have an Xbox 360. Generations is an outstanding game even on consoles, Unleashed has been making a resurgence lately and 360 is a much better experience than PS3 for that game, and even Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) is worth playing at least once if you have the patience for it. Plus you have the All-Stars Racing games and SEGA Superstars Tennis, and a bunch of classic games on Xbox Live Arcade, including (admittedly terrible but playable enough) ports of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and an incredible port of Sonic the Fighters. Sega's digital games go on sale regularly so keep an eye out on a price tracker like TrueAchievements.

Last edited:
Shadow The Hedgehog didn't get a bad rep just for being dark and edgy. It had a bad rep because it had not executed its dark themes very well. It was very cheesy and more hilarious than anything, stuffing in swearing just for the sake of edge, and that's not how you do it. There were also character issues and control issues for what I've heard, but overall I wouldn't recommend playing it anyway. Though my older brother had enjoyed this game back when he had played it on the GameCube, it isn't likely you will also. Don't take your chances.
And to be honest Sonic should have had the dark and edgy era direction that the Sonic Team has taken...

I mean I'm all for a more serious Sonic game where Robotnik is a real threat to the world (basically not like Lost World) but they have gone too far into that.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back