Pointy Sonic

Chrispy

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
sonicsonicsonic2.png
Pointy Sonic is finally here for everybody to play! I've had a great time working with Lach and AxelMoon on making him possible, and I hope you have a Robo Blast playing him!
We plan to keep him updated with bug fixes and potential changes to features and sprites. Feel free to break him, edit him, reuse him, whatever. This is only the beginning!
Pointy Sonic's been quite the project for me! It evolved from a simple double jump ability and some extra death frames into an almost complete overhaul to the animation structure most characters use. Features such as the moving head and the spring tricks heads-up display pushed me to use SRB2's Lua resources in ways I had never thought about before, and to say that building it all was fun would be a complete understatement of the enjoyment this project has brought me. Pointy is by far the most complex and stimulating character I've ever worked on and I'm really proud of the results!

For those who are curious, the head tracking feature is done by turning Pointy himself invisible and spawning in three new objects that display his body and two layers of his head individually. This allows me to control the head and body angles independently from each other. A hitbox is spawned every frame to check for objects surrounding Pointy, and then each one is checked against a priority list to determine which object should be looked at. The head angle is then shifted to face that object by a little bit every frame, in a similar fashion to how directionchar works.

I'd say the hardest parts of this project were the super form and, funnily enough, the dab. The dab used to only be usable at a standstill, but towards the end of development we changed it so that it could be used in motion or even in the air, and the system had to be reworked almost entirely, which broke a LOT of the script's stability. The super form falls under this category too; there were just so many things to account for both SRB2-inflicted and Pointy-inflicted that I fully expect for it to break with other addons sometimes.

Despite the mess that crept into those additions, I've done my best to add comments to the script so that anyone reading can at least follow along with what the code is doing. It's completely free to use, just like the sprites are! I really hope you enjoy the work Chrispy and I put into this. We both prioritized making sure Pointy was fun and interactive, pouring emotion and character into his art and features wherever possible. Working with Chrispy is very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to delivering more content with him in the future!
Neck on/off -change between traditional standing frames or head tracking ones
Emotion on/off -toggle emotion blurbs
Curiosity 0/1/2 -change pointy's object tracking level. 2 singleplayer only
Flicker on/off -toggle spin flicker frames
Bass on/off -toggle bass distortion from dabs
  • Fast Boy
  • Aseprite file with all layers and frames
  • Spritesheet with all frames
  • GIF with all frames
  • Neck (Really Works!)
  • Dab on Toss Flag
  • Yeet
  • Shoot Dance on Custom 1
  • Momentum Flip
  • Drop Dash when Spinning in the air
  • A whole Backflip animation with Rotations and Everything
  • Tricks
  • Cool Rankings
  • Confetti
  • Emoji
  • Screenshake
  • Triple Airhorn
  • T-Pose
  • Record Scratch
  • Skid Frame
  • Extra Spin Frames
  • A neat Spin Trail
  • Extra Teeter Frames
  • Randomized Teeter Speeds
  • Extra Death Frames
  • Shoe Buckle
  • Gust Frame
  • Flying Super Sonic
  • Super Idle Frames
  • Animated Signpost
  • Snowball Hands
  • Pivot
  • Easter Eggs
  • Extra Smooth Super Transformation
  • More Custom Frames than Vanilla Frames
  • ~411 Frames Total
  • I don't think I've ever seen every frame in one playthrough
  • Seriously there's a lot of frames
  • Completely Free to Use!
v2:
added default dance
fix 2D skid
fix death frame bug
added MD2
pointyandfluffy-export.png

Attachments

• PointyAll.gif
    PointyAll.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 15,298
  • PointyAll.gif
    PointyAll.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 6,104
  • srb20016.gif
    srb20016.gif
    6.8 MB · Views: 3,776
  • srb20016.gif
    srb20016.gif
    6.8 MB · Views: 3,605
  • srb20035.png
    srb20035.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 3,867
  • srb20035.png
    srb20035.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 3,893
  • srb20012.png
    srb20012.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 3,416
  • srb20012.png
    srb20012.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 3,463
  • DAB.png
    DAB.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 10,048
  • DAB.png
    DAB.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 7,542
  • srb20027.png
    srb20027.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 2,517
  • srb20027.png
    srb20027.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 2,747
  • srb20025.png
    srb20025.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 2,168
  • srb20025.png
    srb20025.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 2,464
  • srb20043.gif
    srb20043.gif
    808.5 KB · Views: 8,616
  • srb20043.gif
    srb20043.gif
    808.5 KB · Views: 6,898
  • defaultdance.gif
    defaultdance.gif
    158.1 KB · Views: 20,304
  • PointySonic2.1.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 19,049
  • srb2td0000.gif
    srb2td0000.gif
    5 MB · Views: 4,119
Last edited:

Thank you for what was totally a Day-Before-By-Birthday Gift to me.
Welcome to releases!

a0kfqQq.gif

Congratulations on the wad release!!

I love how smooth his animations are! Great work Chrispy!!!

KNOWN BUGS:
  • none, currently :)

I will edit this post as more are found, and they should be fixed whenever we decide to drop a new update. If you find something not on this list, please post a report in this thread or shoot me a message about it!

Last edited:
I t ' s b e e n 3 0 0 0 y e a r s

Congrats on the release, and I can't wait to D A B my way through the entirety of SRB2

Im still suprised my joke suggestion to add tricks was added. Great work, all 3 of you!

It's finally here. I've followed a good part of Pointy's development when I first saw it I thought it was just a single experimental sprite and now, it's here
Everything is so smooth and well made, the head animations, the emotions, abilities, seriously, good job you all.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be honest: I LOVE THIS MOD!
I love how this is based on Sonic R model and Chao Garden emotions. The added Double Jump and Drop Dash abilities make this soooo addictive to play! Especially Double Jump, which can be heaven to casual speedrunners, as it is really easy to control. I also like those Dabbing and Hype emotes. For goofy purposes, it's a neat addition (even if dab trend should be dead for like 2 years already).
So much potential in details and animating overall. I can recommend this mod to everybody as I think it's a must-have!

tl;dr It's an amazing mod!

This Man is pure beauty. Like Pointy Tails next to Sonic meaning that he's coming soon.

2.2 Hype at it's finest.

At first I thought the head-tracking thing was nice but silly and pointless... then I saw Pointy looking up at the swinging spikeballs in CEZ.

10/10

Though, I think the neck function needs to be restricted a little more, at least when Pointy is standing still and turning around freely. It just looks really odd when he has his back completely straight, but his head is straight 90° rotated from it. Like the poor thing has his neck broken.

I played around for a solid hour with this character and I quite honestly didn't want to stop. Everything, from the spritework, animations, easter eggs, and the movement just clicked with me.

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but being able to hold a dropdash out of a whirlwind shield jump and get both the jump boost and extra speed when landing is the most satisfying thing I've ever experienced in this game. I almost want this to be the default Sonic. It feels that good to play.

Outstanding work.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back