Unofficial v2.2 Discussion Thread

It does kinda make me wonder though if they'll ever think of adding additional characters to the roster. Like I'm sure the likes of Amy, Cream and Shadow have been tossed around before but I was thinking with the upcoming Sonic Mania Plus expansion would Mighty and Ray ever be a possibility sometime in the future.

I mean I'm sure with how 2.2 is already shaping up to be I don't think that'd be a full on thing but 2.3 maybe?

I hope so. But anyways. some of us don't care of it that much, I mean, we had been like more than 13 years playing with 3 characters; but Mighty wouldn't be bad to be honest.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

I meant Mighty and Ray more than Shadow and Amy. The latter I think are better off as mods with how the main game is built around characters already established in a classic styled Sonic game.

I'm mostly saying Mighty and Ray because of Sonic Mania Plus, though then again I think it's probably too quick to rush to that conclusion. And I guess with what reaction towards my post I suppose mods are the preferable way to go for more characters.

I mean if 2.2 gets released this year someone's going to do a Mania styled Mighty and Ray anyway as a mod or even for 2.1 if 2.2 is still far off.
I'm not complaining or anything but Ray.wad doesn't even exist.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

One of the most common recurring trends in SRB2 is that everyone always wants features from the most recent Sonic game, without fail. Then someone makes a mod trying to implement that official Sonic game in SRB2 to generally mediocre results. Then the next Sonic game comes out and those requests are completely forgotten.

Yes, this includes hilariously awful Sonic games like 2K6. It might be horrifying in hindsight, but even 2K6 had vocal fans here at the time who desperately wanted Silver in vanilla.

But ray and mighty don't count as new features since they are classic sonic chars.

The game's focus needs to be taken into consideration, as there are a couple big caveats that come to mind when it comes to any character request.

For one, characters are a huge workload on the artist who has to draw them. Ray and Mighty would require their own sprite sets, meaning that sprite artists would need to draw a huge quantity of animation frames in order to accommodate their inclusion. This detracts from the amount of time that would be spent on other areas of the game that need sprites and edits, like the existing characters, enemies with missing animations, etc. (Not to mention, someone would have to actually want to work on the character in the first place.)

Second, it creates a precedent for feature creep. If Ray and Mighty were to make it in, why not Amy? Or Metal? When do you decide you simply have too many characters? And with each character having their own special abilities, that also exacerbates the problem of maintaining the source code; more abilities means more programming, meaning more possibilities for things to break between one version and the next.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of new characters being added to the game; I've said before, a carefully chosen and designed fourth or even fifth character could have potential merits for pushing gameplay variety and multiplayer competitive balance. But ultimately, there's no reason that new characters even need to be added, because the community can already do that themselves. The best characters, like Rosy, Silver, and some Sonic reskins are already conveniently placed in one section, and all you have to do is place them in your SRB2 folder and launch them with addfile. I think that's as good a compromise as any; the community is able to decide what characters are playable, and the developers don't have to worry about upkeep.

If enough people are interested in playing as Ray or Mighty, just wait a while, and I'm sure someone will inevitably turn them into characters that you can add to the game on your own. (Or, if you think you've got the chops, you can make the character on your own!)

Last edited:
But ray and mighty don't count as new features since they are classic sonic chars.

In this context, "new features" mean stuff that is not in SRB2, regardless of their actual age outside of the game. Ray and Mighty have never been in SRB2 as official characters, so they would count as new features if added to the next version.

As already kind of covered earlier though, the main reason for this suggestion to begin with seems to be that Mania Plus announced that those two characters will be in the game. If it were different classic era characters, likely we would be getting suggestions for those instead. As it is though, we barely know that these two even will appear in Mania Plus as it is; we don't know anything about the characters' actual gameplay in there or whether they're any good to play as!

That said, funnily enough, several people have indeed made Mighty a character for SRB2 before (even I have). Yet, Ray doesn't get as much love in comparison it seems, I don't recall any wads for him.

Last edited:
To be fair, Ray is a character that not as many people are familiar with; Mighty himself is more commonly associated with Knuckles Chaotix than SegaSonic.

Haven't posted here since 2007 and figuring out my old password was not fun let me tell you (the registered e-mail was a defunct one from when I was a kid).

Seeing the 2.2 trailer drew me back to this fantastic fangame. The new art direction looks fantastic and I can't wait to see how things shape up in the coming years.

Haven't posted here since 2007 and figuring out my old password was not fun let me tell you (the registered e-mail was a defunct one from when I was a kid).

Seeing the 2.2 trailer drew me back to this fantastic fangame. The new art direction looks fantastic and I can't wait to see how things shape up in the coming years.
Well, considering the determination that brought you here - I just want to say: Welcome Back! (We have cookies and chicken!)

I'm almost taking it for granted now, but SRB2 2.0 is barely recognizable from what the game once was in 2005. (And that's saying something, as not a lot of games look like SRB2 to begin with. lol)

Because it sucks, probably.

Not that it matters much. Like they said, it will still be available as a WAD (even a community-made one if the devs decide not to do it) and its place as an unlockable will be taken over by all the OLDC levels they plan to add.

I always felt the SRB1 Remake as an Unlockable is a weird addition to the game, the level design felt too blocky compared to the rest of the Main levels (well most of them anyways).

The idea that SRB1 Remake was dropped makes me think they might have something to take its place.

Maybe a legacy mode along the lines of SRB2: The Past?
Anything to properly play the old Special Stages again; I've always felt the new ones were more of a mini game than a bonus round.

I've always felt the new ones were more of a mini game than a bonus round.

That is true to the classics. You don't see the rotating thingy, the half-pipe, or Blue Spheres having a lot to do with the "main" gameplay. Heck, I remember this being posited by the devs as a reason to replace the old Special Stages with the new NiGHTS ones.

I feel like the SRB1 remake would be better if it was less of a remake and more of a remaster. Like, instead of a 1:1 copy of the game, take the old stages and put a bit of a modern spin on them.

That is true to the classics. You don't see the rotating thingy, the half-pipe, or Blue Spheres having a lot to do with the "main" gameplay. Heck, I remember this being posited by the devs as a reason to replace the old Special Stages with the new NiGHTS ones.

Maybe I'm still only used to NiGHTS mode being an unlockable rather than an integral part of the game.

Not ACZ2 but it's .....

Nev3r said:
something
srb20131.gif

Good thing the Minecart isn't just a Static sprite :v

Legit 2.2 Leakz ma bois.

It's like a mix between Sonic 2 GG's Underground Zone and Sonic Unleashed's rail sections.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back