Metal Knuckles & Tails Doll - Sonic R Characters

Metal Knuckles & Tails Doll - Sonic R Characters V1.2

Sonic , tails, knuckles, Metal sonic, Eggpack. Metal knux, tails doll, and Eggrobo...

The entire Sonic R cast is here....

Now can we please give Amy a car?

This is awesome. The only things i noticed is metal knuckles jumps somewhat high, which i guess he's probably around the same weight as metal sonic so i presume they have the same jump height
he breaks walls... without having his claws or whatever in front of him, not a problem just thought i'd say
and he doesn't jump off the wall in the other direction when pressing A (and the camera doesnt switch obviously), which if you actually want to go the knuckles paths (who would want to) you may have to jump off and then use your ability in the opposite direction with simple mode, which is fine also

so basically no complaints

Now my Metal Knuckles port is absolutely useless...

Jokes aside, I love the spritework, they look so smooth and MotorRoach-ish!

Metal Knuckles is definitely a pretty good character. He feels like the AltSonic version of Knuckles. There are a few problems I'd like to see ironed out, though.
srb20001.gifsrb20003.gif
As Pyrakid said before, pressing jump does not turn the camera around, and pressing spin does nothing. Not only that, but the camera does not zoom out when climbing, like it does with Knuckles, although maybe that's justified since Metal Knuckles can't climb upwards.
srb20002.gifsrb20004.gif
Super Metal Knuckles does not create shockwaves when landing or grabbing onto a wall. I find this odd, since he has a super form by default (though I guess Super Metal Sonic never had an additional ability). Also, Metal Sonic's super color is a metallic version of Super Sonic's, so I think Metal Knuckles' super color should be a metallic version of Super Knuckles' instead of just having Metal Sonic's super color.
I enjoy Metal Knuckles' moves a lot here. I seem to be a sucker for charge moves, so the 'glide' and jump climb are very fun to mess around with. The boost mode just makes it even better.

But Tails Doll... eugh. Maybe I'm just bad at playing him, but he is the absolute jankiest character I have ever played. His floaty "jump", if you can even call it that, feels more like he's being dragged upward by a fishing rod, and his barrier is just an okay ability. The ragdolling is kind of odd looking too, though I guess that's the point. I vastly prefer the other Tails Doll mod on this message board.

Overall, Metal Knuckles far outshines Tails Doll, but I look forward to any new updates that will be released.

Metal Knuckles is definitely a pretty good character. He feels like the AltSonic version of Knuckles. There are a few problems I'd like to see ironed out, though.
View attachment 42475View attachment 42477
As Pyrakid said before, pressing jump does not turn the camera around, and pressing spin does nothing. Not only that, but the camera does not zoom out when climbing, like it does with Knuckles, although maybe that's justified since Metal Knuckles can't climb upwards.
View attachment 42476View attachment 42478
Super Metal Knuckles does not create shockwaves when landing or grabbing onto a wall. I find this odd, since he has a super form by default (though I guess Super Metal Sonic never had an additional ability). Also, Metal Sonic's super color is a metallic version of Super Sonic's, so I think Metal Knuckles' super color should be a metallic version of Super Knuckles' instead of just having Metal Sonic's super color.
I enjoy Metal Knuckles' moves a lot here. I seem to be a sucker for charge moves, so the 'glide' and jump climb are very fun to mess around with. The boost mode just makes it even better.

But Tails Doll... eugh. Maybe I'm just bad at playing him, but he is the absolute jankiest character I have ever played. His floaty "jump", if you can even call it that, feels more like he's being dragged upward by a fishing rod, and his barrier is just an okay ability. The ragdolling is kind of odd looking too, though I guess that's the point. I vastly prefer the other Tails Doll mod on this message board.

Overall, Metal Knuckles far outshines Tails Doll, but I look forward to any new updates that will be released.
You make a few good points there, though with the Super Colour, I sorta feel like having it the same Bronze colour as Super Metal Sonic actually works, since that, unlike Knuckles, Metal Knuckles is a robot and likely uses the same internal components as Metal Sonic, and would likely glow the same colour, I don't know how you'd make a robot glow a different Super Colour, but I'm probably overthinking and that this was actually an oversight, custom Super Colour or not, I think either way would be great!

Just played through with both Metal Knux and Tails Doll, and... wow, the quality is amazing!! The spritework is top notch and I like the extra sound effects~

Metal Knux feels like the perfect counterpart to both Metal Sonic and Knuckles himself, and is real fun. His Charge Glide feels like a natural evolution of both dash mode and the original glide- I like how it actually has a drop-off point unlike Metal Sonic's Hover, requiring some skill. His Jet Climb took a bit to get used to, but when I did it felt great to chain these massive leaps into the Charge Glide!! As said above though, it is a little odd he gets no shockwaves in Super when grabbing walls or landing... Speaking of landing- that's one sick landing pose.

Tails Doll takes a lot more getting used to, which isn’t a bad thing in my eyes! The extra ragdoll (haha) physics combined with how the power gem is animated really sell the feeling that this is a doll being dragged about by this powerful force! The jump is floaty sure, but the extra height combined with the slow fall ability lets you cover massive gaps! I also really like how the gem takes the shields powers and changes colours to match, it’s a super cool touch. There is one issue with the ragdolling and that’s when you hit sideways springs, he spazzes out when you’re at this far more intense speed. I could blame the momentum mod on that though considering it lets you go way beyond intended speeds.

okay so let me rate these bois
--Tails Doll
i did not have fun with this one he seems so weird if you gave him a normal jump i would like him more this weird jump is kinda bad
-- Metal Knux
this guy is pog like this is alt sonic but knux and he is not that bad.
so

Tails Doll 5/10

Metal Knux 10/10

i still like this pack

Good duo! But like some people mentioned earlier, it seems that you put more effort on Metal Knux that Tails Doll (btw good job at these smooth sprites), i'm not saying that Tails Doll is a bad character, it's... fine.

Though Metal Knux has some issues with his climbing to the left and right... In some walls he just... climb off and stay like an airwalk until reaches the floor.

I compared Knux climb with it's metallic counterpart to see what i mean.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20125.gif
    srb20125.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,919
  • srb20127.gif
    srb20127.gif
    2 MB · Views: 2,127
Last edited:
Love it, both of 'em!~ But Metal Knux has some issues with clinging onto walls. You can't cancel the cling with spin like Knuckles can, and in general it's a bit hard to go an intended route (gif of this not included, but try going the K route in THZ2).

Attachments

• srb21082.gif
    srb21082.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 215
Amazing mods I love them both especially Tails Doll I'm happy Metal Sonic got his "Team" back

oh my, Tails Doll with XMomentum makes me laugh

Ok, i think this needs to be shown, because it's fun to watch, but also a problem to fix.
using Xmomentum with Metal Knux is ok, but with Tails Doll... well, this happens.
the reason is definitely the separate body parts that can't reach the same speed of the body, ending up causing this weird bug

Attachments

• srb20595.gif
    5.1 MB · Views: 311
  • srb20597.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 244
I took some time to play with those two. The mod is amazing.
I have no idea why do people hate character mods with entirely rewritten physics. I personally like Tails Doll's controls.
feels more like he's being dragged upward by a fishing rod
Well, it's entirely plausible that Tails Doll is just a big plush doll that's being dragged around by that red crystal as if it was a fishing rod.
His ragdoll physics are a nice touch, but sometimes they do stupid things (not counting things like feet clipping out of minecarts). For example, if you jump on that DSZ gargoyle puzzle thing, his enitre body will float at the same heights as his head. Also, at full speed Tails Doll will flip to reverse gravity in the beginning of ERZ1 (I could only do this on the conveyors in the beginning of the left path).

Metal Knuckles seems to have his glide and climb physics written from scratch, creating issues already noted in the comments. My main issue is that he can not go downwards while climbing.
pressing spin while flying and turning Super, Metal Knuckels would make a istant turn to the right and also become super
I encountered a similar bug, but without going super. Sometimes instead of latching on a wall MK will glide along it. I couldn't replicate the bug for the gif, it happens randomly and usually if I'm far from the walls.
he doesn't jump off the wall in the other direction when pressing A ... you may have to jump off and then use your ability in the opposite direction with simple mode
It's easier than that. You can just rotate the camera and then jump off and charge the glide.
You can't cancel the cling with spin like Knuckles can
You can jump to do exactly the same...

Attachments

• TDstatue.png
    TDstatue.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 257
  • TDerz1.png
    TDerz1.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 202
  • MKglide.gif
    MKglide.gif
    3 MB · Views: 315
Last edited:
I encountered a similar bug, but without going super. Sometimes instead of latching on a wall MK will glide along it. I couldn't replicate the bug for the gif, it happens randomly and usually if I'm far from the walls.
it's easy.
after pressing jump to use the glide (possibly at the max charge of the move), press spin to become super at the same time that the move is in action.
if done right, Metal Knuckles will make a left and right turn, instantly becoming super

Attachments

• srb20581.gif
    5.2 MB · Views: 153
This is not an important error, but this happens.

lol.

Attachments

• srb20144.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 224
quick update on the M.K. bug: it seems to be a XMomentum thing.
apparently the istant stop/turn is a bug from that LUA, since also Fang and Amy seems to have the same bug

Last edited:
I've played through the game as them both. They are both amazing to play, even with any sorta given flaws for this first release.

Metal Knuckles does feel like a great combo between Knuckles and Metal Sonic. His charge glide preserving dash mode, the unique climb dash, its all great! There are a few oversights such as Wall cling behavior and turning super in unintended circumstances, but most are forgivable. My personal nitpick, and this is from my perspective let me mind you, is that his Glide doesn't last forever like with Metal Sonic and Knuckles, which is a bit ironic honestly. Its also a bit difficult to control yourself in the air after using the climb dash, tho I suppose thats what being able to Charge dash after is for.

Tails Doll is a bit messy and broken in a really fun kind of way. Not sure if intentional, but he doesn't get hurt from floor hazards at all. Electric, spikes/thorns, and lava/magma alike. (He's also immune to the Metal Sonic arena fence, which might be an actual oversight) His Polygon Barrier is also quite the interesting ability to work with, especially given it boosts your momentum on springs. He definitely feels a lot more polished than the old nanite moveset version. Most notably, he actually has decent movement speed on par with the vanilla cast. Plus, they made him more cute overall, adding expressions for when he takes damage, and removing the creepypasta aspects from him. (especially the old Super color and music)

Overall, this is a really solid Character Pack, and they fit right in with the Vanilla cast. Proper Xmomentum support could be a great addition in future updates, along with bugfixes. I give them the following ratings:

Metal Knux: 8.5/10, really solid pick.
Tails Doll: 7/10, Simple yet effective.
As a whole: 9.5/10, would recommend to everyone.

Last edited:
Incredible sprite work, and actual new abilities that manage to fit them thematically as alternatives to other characters while being unique AND fun to play with AND simple but with lots of potential. Unlike others, I've found Tails Doll to be just as fun as Metal Knuckles. And I've found both of them to be on the same level as the official characters! The only negative thing I could comment on is how MK's wall clinging isn't consistent with Knuckles', but that was already mentioned a bunch.

Five stars, but I'd happily give it more if I could.

(also man, we have the SegaSonic, Sonic Drift 2 and Sonic R casts all done... we're inching closer and closer to having the complete Classic-era cast in SRB2!)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back