Is there any way to increase the vanilla WAD limit, editing or not?

NARbluebear

Basically put, when a server host adds WADs, the limit is almost reached with the growing amount of characters, levels, Lua scripts, and other modifications. I am asking this question to see if there is a way to raise this limit, or at least not take up more WAD space with varying name lengths.

You cannot increase wad limit but you can pack multiple if you have the autorisation of all the authors.

The WAD limit is in place for a reason, to stop servers from forcing players to auto-download too much. I don't like when servers create such huge packs of separate mods to try and bypass it, since it just creates the very issue that the limit was put in place to avoid.

EDIT: Mystic has corrected me. Apologies for the confusion.

Last edited:
Uh, that's just straight up incorrect. The WAD limit is an engine limitation that isn't relevant, so it's never been fixed. Not everything is an intentional design.

Potential Solutions:

Basically put, when a server host adds WADs, the limit is almost reached with the growing amount of characters, levels, Lua scripts, and other modifications. I am asking this question to see if there is a way to raise this limit, or at least not take up more WAD space with varying name lengths.

There are two ways.

For the first method I recommend making a copy of every wad you want to use for your server and putting them into a folder. This is because you are going to rename them. The WAD limit happens to be based off of the amount of characters in each WAD name instead of WAD content.... You can rename each of them "a.wad; b.wad; c.wad" etc. This will increase the WAD limit by a bit.

The second method could theoretically be used to entirely circumvent the wad limit. You can use SLADE to put each WAD you want to use into a single WAD. You just have to make sure you separate each lump with a S_END marker.

Something that theoretically might work, but do not reccomend... I'm not even sure if it's possible to be honest. Is to edit the game's source code to entirely remove the wad limit. There is an issue, however. This would only work for singleplayer unless the people joining also used a seperate exe, for it would be necessary for each person on the server to have the large amount of WADS loaded.

It's just bad. If someone makes a server with a single pack of 20+ add-ons, you'll have to wait for hours before entering. And surely you don't want to make others wait that much, right?

There are two ways.

For the first method I recommend making a copy of every wad you want to use for your server and putting them into a folder. This is because you are going to rename them. The WAD limit happens to be based off of the amount of characters in each WAD name instead of WAD content.... You can rename each of them "a.wad; b.wad; c.wad" etc. This will increase the WAD limit by a bit.

The second method could theoretically be used to entirely circumvent the wad limit. You can use SLADE to put each WAD you want to use into a single WAD. You just have to make sure you separate each lump with a S_END marker.

Would these methods also work for pk3 files? I'm hashing out what to include on my friend group's private Kart server and that limit of 40 add-ons is making it tricky to fill everybody's requests. I'd very much appreciate any insight, but I understand if there's no helping it.

The issue Kwiin mentioned no longer exists in Kart. There you'll be bound by the wad limit, 48, which I believe leaves room for 39 addons. There's no way around it right now.

There are two ways.

Something that theoretically might work, but do not reccomend... I'm not even sure if it's possible to be honest. Is to edit the game's source code to entirely remove the wad limit. There is an issue, however. This would only work for singleplayer unless the people joining also used a seperate exe, for it would be necessary for each person on the server to have the large amount of WADS loaded.
But I'm new to SRB2 and I barely have experience with SLADE. Can you make a video, or text with images? If not, can you make it with just text?

There are two ways.

But how do I do that? Can you help?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back