2.1: It's happening! Release details!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, could you increase the maximum amount of linedefs and vertexes per map? I'm making really complicated map for SRB2...

Iceman404 is just having a laugh, Zero. =P Hud editing for Lua is already moreorless done.

Thank god. I have some issues to understand what is a joke or what is thruth, specially in this touchy territory of 2.1. By the way, I wonder how the Eggscaliburn attacks and tactics ar going to be. He attacks you while on the ground or does he fly all the time? Also, Mystic said that the Final Boss has something new. Is it a different map or a WHOLE different Brak Eggman?

Please, could you increase the maximum amount of linedefs and vertexes per map? I'm making really complicated map for SRB2...
The sidedef, linedef, sector, and vertex limits are part of the actual file format. This is not fixable short of completely rewriting the level format itself, which we are not planning on doing. Hitting that limitation means you've hit the upper size limit of your map.

Also, Mystic said that the Final Boss has something new. Is it a different map or a WHOLE different Brak Eggman?
It is an entirely new boss that's just reusing Brak's sprites.

I'd like to know if SRB2 Workbench is ready for release too. I've read also that it's the only map editor that supports the new custom texture system in 2.1 which I'm really looking forward to.

I am having entirely too much fun breaking in Lua's new HUD support.

Fixed a crash along the way, at least.

I'd like to know if SRB2 Workbench is ready for release too. I've read also that it's the only map editor that supports the new custom texture system in 2.1 which I'm really looking forward to.
Texture SOCs were ditched in favor of ZDooM's TEXTURES lump, which enjoys wider support and is generally more sane. Putting new stuff together is a breeze now, not even counting SLADE's graphical editor.

Last edited:
id90mq.gif

I'd like to hear what people think of this animation edit. If people like how it looks, I'm pretty sure it will be something quick to replace just two sprites on the 2.1 Knuckles.

Looks pretty good. I like it. As long as I'm being picky, though (sorry), the quill movement still doesn't look quite right. Particularly the center quill. The edge of the center quill—right above the tip—doesn't actually move, so... I don't how to describe it really... it looks like the quill is fixed in space while Knuckles moves around it, rather than the other way around.

Ugh. It's hard to explain. But look at the Chaotix picture for reference.

mtp76g.gif

Here, the quills are clearly moving as a consequence of Knuckles moving, not just vibrating in place.

I know this would take a lot of work to change, but I'm just pointing it out...

The sidedef, linedef, sector, and vertex limits are part of the actual file format. This is not fixable short of completely rewriting the level format itself, which we are not planning on doing. Hitting that limitation means you've hit the upper size limit of your map.

I like the idea of a "Carry On" action, where the player gets sent to a different map but the time, rings, score, and shields get copied over. I first thought of it while playing Oceanic Cove (since it's a level that was split into two because of map size limits), and when I checked the forums I found that someone else had also thought of the idea. They came up with the name "Carry On", but I don't remember who that was anymore.

Last edited:

It is an entirely new boss that's just reusing Brak's sprites.

Then Brak Eggman will have new abilities!

Then Brak Eggman will have new abilities!

We shall call this new version of Brak Eggman... Squishy. He shall be our friend and our little Squishy and we will love him until the end of time (or the release of 2.2, whichever comes first).

Or maybe Neo Brak Eggman. That works too.

We shall call this new version of Brak Eggman... Squishy. He shall be our friend and our little Squishy and we will love him until the end of time (or the release of 2.2, whichever comes first).

Or maybe Neo Brak Eggman. That works too.

Screw that. Let's call it George.

Back to topic, if Brak Eggman is changed, what's gonna happen to the Air Glider SOC that's in the Releases section? Will it not work anymore or was an actual Air Glider hardcoded into the game?

Screw that. Let's call it George.

Back to topic, if Brak Eggman is changed, what's gonna happen to the Air Glider SOC that's in the Releases section? Will it not work anymore or was an actual Air Glider hardcoded into the game?
It's likely that the source object the air glider is derived from will remain in the game, just unused due to Brak Eggman being somewhat revised.

Incredibly late reaction, but...

WOW, 2.1 IS IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS

Huge props to the entire SRB2JR team for continuing to add more content to a game this old. I never thought we would ever see 2.1's release, and I was proven wrong.

I can't wait to see the new content the community will give, as well as all of the new single player content.

And for the love of god please make Chuckles the default Knuckles pls and ty

Edit: i'm dumb

Last edited:
An important question I want to ask the devs, that I never got a proper answer for, is...

Are the poof sprites still shitty?

By that, I mean when you pop an enemy and pop a monitor. They have these disgusting 2 shade explosions that look more like random scribbles pasted onto the screen. It looked less like something being destroyed and more like you were watching cement appear in reverse. It looked absolutely disgusting, and there's no excuse to keep using them.

I even made a fix already! Ages ago, even! Not only are the explosions for both enemies and monitors better, but the monitors don't flicker as fast, since they're a complete EYESORE at the current speed because the monitor sprites are so much bigger. I already did the work, its like, 10 frames total! Are they fixed already? If not, are you GOING to?

Oh...Talking about item boxes, I thought there would be another kind of item that could be available for them. We have shields,rings,lives,eggmans,speed shoes,invincibility and much more...How about an explosive monitor? Yes, indeed, explosive! I thought those Eggman boxes were too plain. Maybe giving a reason for Sonic to get hurt by them would be a good idea...(Unless the boxes were unexpectly too HARD to be destroyed...)

Geez! About another week to wait. I hope I'll get my Lua class before it comes out.

As someone who is not the best at making SRB2 wads/levels, I was wondering how Skyboxes work, or how complicated they would be to learn to make, if they're hard at all?

Last time I checked (If you're talking about the sky itself) in the Doombuilder's editor, the wall"sky" have to have a texture on it in order to create the sky...I somehow fail to create one myself but, I remember a wiki which as alot of tutorials on map making. I used to "Create" one using the tutorials... (You don't have to guess it was a pure and total catastrophe. T.T)

When I'll have some free time, I'll have to relearn EVERYTHING I know from the map making program. Beside, talking about program, what is the program to create the srb2 2.1 maps? I mean, I remember SRB2's DoomBuilder. Then there was SRB2's Doombuilder 2 (Which was almost not compatible and had to have a custom texture pack as well as custom package in order to work for 2.0). So, anything about that too?

If they're implemented like in SRB2CB, the only thing you have to do is make a secluded area outside of the map and then place a view thing somewhere in there. Either way, I can't imagine that adding skyboxes will be difficult in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back