Control feedback thread

My thoughts on controls remain the same,

I think the default controls are very good, they are fluid, and thanks to the air physics since 2.1, allow for amazing manoeuverability even in mid-air by combining strafing and turning at the same time, which is something you don't see in any other game.

Analog just doesn't work well in SRB2. It's a sprite based game, the sprites do NOT convey what direction you're facing accurately at all, and it leads to the thok being unusable for any platforming segment unless you're going straight forward, because you'll just blast off to the side into the unknown half of the time. The result is platforming, notably, feeling extremely clunky because the analog controls just don't allow for all of that fine tuning I mentionned on the above paragraph.

I think a lot of the confusion comes from directionchar, but even then, the tutorial explains everything to the Player and why they will always thok forwards; because there's where they can actually see

Finally, about controllers, I think the best move yet was to make Jump and Spin on the trigger buttons (which to my knowledge, was effective since 2.1?); this FPS button mapping allows you to fluidly control both your character and the camera at the same time without it feeling awkward, and it's a really comfy experience, although my preference still remains on keyboard only.

Overall, I think a lot of the issues people are having is them not bothering to learn these controls only because they're different? The first boss, as mentionned Whackjood previously, should serve as a good test of whether or not you've mastered the art of strafing while keeping your eyes on your target, and in those precise situations that I think the current control scheme really shines.

I don't really have an opinion on analog since I never used it, but I want to list my default control scheme for the Switch port and explain it:

- Triggers: Turn left/right
- L Bumper: Spin (default PC control)
- R Bumper: Jump (default PC control)
- B: Jump
- Y: Spin
- L Analog: Move/Strafe
- R Analog Look/Turn
- R Analog Press: Reset Camera/Center View

The obvious problem with this control scheme is the lack of any controls for shooter modes. For normal platforming though, not only do I find this setup very comfortable, it actually gives people two ways to play right out of the box: twin stick with bumpers (like on PC) and single stick with buttons/triggers (tank style). I actually find the latter to be better.

The one time I tried Analog I was thrown off by how strange and inaccurate moving felt. Controller or keyboard, I prefer strafe controls.

When I first played, I used left and right to turn, as I felt strafing to be weird in a Sonic game. But the platforming was always really challenging with turn controls. It wasn't until relatively recently that I tried strafe controls again and it clicked. Its so precise, and turning with the right stick in conjunction felt perfect.

With 2.2's new character control style, I haven't quite gotten used to it, so I'm glad the option exists to switch it from character to camera. Camera mode with strafe controls, as well as auto brake turned off is the most precision focused way to play for me.

Not much to say that hasn't already been said here. Been playing off and on since the final demo era and until earlier this year I had always stuck with the tank controls. While far from optimal, they aren't the unusable shitshow they seem to have been made out to be.

Using a controller with FPS controls (triggers for jump and spin, L-stick for movement, R-stick for camera), I was able to quickly adapt to the more recommended control scheme. The initial controller I was using actually didn't work in 2.2, so I ended up going through the campaign with the keyboard and mouse. I mention this and having played off and on for over a decade to say that going from analog to FPS/KB+M may not be as difficult as it's made out to be, though this is from the perspective of someone who's played more casually as opposed to most of the community that has seemingly played the game far more consistently over the years.

Outside of the whole analog debate, my only current gripes are being unable to adjust the stick sensitivity for controllers and the lack of some sort of "directionability." Having the former would probably remove the desire for the latter, though. Sonic's my favorite character to play as but trying to thok precisely in several different directions in a small amount of time while the camera is panning veeerrrryyyy ssslllloooowwwlllyyyy is suffering.

I started 2.2 with the default gamepad controls and it completely worked for me. There wasn't any point where I needed to switch to a keyboard and mouse for a specific section, as I was able to move around the maps with complete ease. I'm also able to switch PCs and go from a gamepad to a Keyboard + Mouse without having to get readjusted. It's also fun to play online coop with a gamepad, and I still retain my controls even when there's a little lag.

New players will still have some trouble with the control schemes. With Keyboard and Mouse, it could be like playing any other 3D Sonic fangame like Sonic Project Hero, minus the vertical camera movement. But with a gamepad, it doesn't seem logical to ignore the ABXY buttons in favor of the shoulder buttons, but this is definitely the only way I could have total control of the camera with the Right Stick and be able to jump at the same time. I never got used to the shoulder buttons being used for the camera, but at least we've given the option to change it.

I've been wanting SRB2 to control like a traditional 3D game, and this was a big step towards that goal. There's never a perfect 3D camera in an action game, but the current one works for me. Analog was only for when I played with a gamepad, but since the camera was never optimized, it was just a big mess. Directionchar was a great idea, and it's great that new players won't have to experience the game without it. Other games that force the camera to be behind the player get bad reviews on their controls, since it's just unnatural. Now that the player believes they have complete control of their direction, it instantly changes their perspective and freedom of the 3D environment.

Hi, so I'm coming into this from the perspective of someone who has always in the past used keyboard + mouse. For the first time for 2.2 I decided to do the entire SP campaign with a gamepad only (sure it was as Tails, but still).

My experience with the gamepad setup is that the default control scheme and workings were very good and presented little problem past the start of the game and getting used to them. Most of the issues I have with it are niggling issues or issues that arise from wonky implementation details when you enable the optional features.

In no particular order:
No dead-zone settings for the analog sticks, this can make things artificially seem twitchier depending on how sensitive analog sticks are, or how much you expect to move the analog sticks before things get registered.
The setting to enable/disable looking up/down is under mouse settings and is called mouselook, this is just misleading in general. I assume it would apply to keyboard settings for looking up and down too, but I'm not sure.
No settings for analog stick camera/turning sensitivity. This one is very weird because these settings *do* exist for the mouse, and not being able to change them (especially for the Y-axis), along with the lack of dead-zone settings, makes enabling "mouselook" absolutely unbearable. This is almost certainly one of the main reasons it was so necessary to disable it in the first place.
Orbital Camera is good, and lets you actually kind of look over ledges, but is impossible to use with a gamepad due to the previously mentioned issues.
I agree with the disabling of mouselook by default, but mostly because of the previously mentioned issues, in terms of levels, I can think of many places I wanted mouselook to be able to see where I was jumping down to, and what was even down there. It's mostly for extras, but not being able to look down to see what's there is unusual when it's designed into the levels.

As an extra split apart, NiGHTS mode is plagued extra nastily by some of the twitchiness and lack of dead-zone support. Small changes to the analog stick feel like they can send you way off on the direction you want to go. However, more pressing is that NiGHTS mode lacks precision with the analog stick, it felt like I was locked into specific angles (12.5-degree angles maybe?). This threw me off *massively* when I was going through the special stages, I'd try to make a small adjustment, nothing would happen, then I'd make an overcorrection and go completely off where I wanted to. This may be due to the natural lack of precision on the sidemove and forwardmove variables within the player control structure, as they only allow integers between -50 and 50. This could be increased up to -127 to 127 without changing the data type, or even further if a larger datatype can be used as I'm aware this is sent over the network.

Since I haven't used much of mouse and keyboard yet, I think it's fine, though it'll take me some time to get used to the fact that Mouse 2 is no longer jump by default. :P

A number of people are now claiming there is no option to affect camera sensitivity, but there is, or at least close enough to have fooled me-- Options > Player (1) Controls > Camera Options > Camera Speed. Start up a stage and keep tinkering with it, I recommend this. It works for me, on an Xbox One controller.

Last edited:
I've never played Analog (or mouse + keyboard actually. I don't own a mouse. I've always played with keyboard-only or a gamepad) so my opinion isn't worth much, but in the classic Spyro the Dragon games they had two options for the camera: Passive and Active.

In Passive Mode the camera wouldn't automatically move (or, it would barely move) while you're moving quickly, but would auto-center when you slow down or stop. That prevented the auto-changing camera from messing up the controls during a platforming section.

In Active Mode the camera would strictly follow behind the player. Small twitchy movements wouldn't change it (as long as you were moving in a similar direction the camera would stay still), but if you started moving in a new direction the camera would quickly snap behind the back.

If you guys end up building a new auto-camera system, you might want to consider offering different default setups like this.

Last edited:
A number of people are now claiming there is no option to affect camera sensitivity, but there is, or at least close enough to have fooled me-- Options > Player (1) Controls > Camera Options > Camera Speed. Start up a stage and keep tinkering with it, I recommend this. It works for me, on an Xbox One controller.

While this does look to affect turn speed, in reality, it literally just affects how quickly the camera itself can move overall. How fast the player turns, and how fast up/down they look, is still locked to some preset values as far as I can tell. Also, that option doesn't seem to have a lot of granularity in its setting for some reason.

I'm not quite sure why, but when I play 3D Platformers, I like to be able to see the character's face. When that ability is taken away, I get confused. That might be just me, but I'm not sure. I'm just going to clear this up before my proposition; I have never played that Ring Toss mode, and I probably never will. I understand people like that mode, but playing a sonic game as if it was a FPS is just something that I personally don't care for.

For the current control scheme, I think having it so that a crosshair shows up in the middle of the screen whenever you jump would help remind new players that their ability goes forward. This could be turned on or off.

I think it would be worthwhile to make an automatic camera mode that is similar to the camera in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time except without vertical movement or the ability to lock on to foes. The main difference being the inability to lock on to foes, because this isn't a game centered on combat or even exploation, it's a game centered on speed and platforming. Instead, have a button need to be held down to switch to the legacy control scheme (back faces the camera). Let go of the button to change back to an automatic camera. Double tap the button to toggle the legacy camera. With a quick camera change that functions like the one in Ocarina when there are no enemies around, it puts all the skill of aiming on the player. As for the automatic camera itself, it would rotate to face your back if it wasn't already, but at a speed slow enough that the player can adjust the direction they are pressing down.

My personal control schemes... were actually made the (close to) the default in 2.2.

When I play on gamepad, I use left stick for Movement, right stick for Camera, and the triggers for Jump and Spin. This is my preferred way to play. It has a few quirks that should be addressed code-wise that I will go into later, but generally this set-up is extremely comfortable, even in the harder stages. I'm able to do the ERZ Mega Man block section like this just as comfortably as a keyboard.

When I play on keyboard, I use WASD for Movement, arrow keys for Camera, space for Jump, and left shift for Spin. This is the way I usually play when I work on mods, since it's slightly more convenient than switching from programming to gamepad constantly.

I do not play keyboard+mouse. I tried to before, but being able to change my angle massively in one motion does not feel very natural to me. I've done all of my casual playing & mod testing for years without the mouse with no problems.

Now, my criticisms with the current state of things:

I usually just unbind everything relating to ringslinger modes. They take up space on my control scheme when I only enjoy playing the platformer modes. On keyboard it doesn't cause any problems, but the most egregious example is that the gamepad triggers aren't Jump/Spin, instead the bumpers are, which feels slightly more cramped. It does not help that the triggers are harder to change on Xbox/XInput controllers, because they are considered axes.

Echoing Sryder, deadzone support should probably be backported from Kart, since low default deadzone causes extreme sensitivity issues with all analog sticks. I also love being able to naturally look around levels with orbital camera, but it's simply too sensitive on gamepad. I consider looking around incredibly important, even a lot of emblems locations seem to be designed around you being able to look up at the ceiling.

I will also echo his sentiment on NiGHTS angle locking -- analog stick should be the ideal way to play NiGHTS and blow keyboard out of the water, yet it's not, because your angle is locked to notches. This really needs fixed, and there's even more reason to fix it now there's legitimate sprite rotation.

Your tutorial should also actually acknowledge gamepad as an option. You actually do support it pretty well by default with no changes to options, you can just plug in a controller and start playing if you want. But, since it only shows keys on screen, and basically only ever says "keyboard+mouse is the only way to play, I *guess* you could play keyboard-only too but why would you ever do that", it left an incredibly bad impression on me, even when I've been playing for 15 years and knew that it would not impact how I played the game out of stubbornness. The wording on that particular slide felt incredibly off to me, and it seems like I'm not the only one.

EDIT: Some addenda:

I think you guys need to rethink the camera being solid to walls. A Dark Souls-style solid camera, where it always "zooms in" when it gets blocked, so it always lines up with the player but prevents having walls inbetween the player and the camera, would be fine. But the current approach, where it tries to slide into its next position and can get blocked by pillars, is extremely awful. The current camera makes me BEG for a noclipping-camera when it does stuff like this, and makes me question why it's touted as a "feature" on the tutorial: https://i.imgur.com/mSmhNE5.gif

I also like the proposal Unknownlight has mentioned -- a Spyro-like option for camera could be the bridge needed. I'll always use "Manual" if it happens, I always have preferred it when my games have little to no automation to the camera because I often simply have to fight it, but a pleasant "Automatic" option would be a great option for other players who don't like that.

Last edited:
Alright, I've been very vocal about Analog being removed. If analog will be removed in it's current form but might have something else replacing it for gamepad users then I should give some feedback about how I feel about both control schemes.

First, some context on my stance
I use analog not only because it creates a sense of familiarity, but because it makes it so I don't have to be controlling the camera at all times. I feel this is essential for playing on a gamepad due to the fact that having to play with both sticks forces you to also adapt your control scheme to something that doesn't resemble a Sonic game or any 3D platformer or even a 3D exploration game of any kind made within the last decade or so, and even starts to resemble Bubsy 3D.

I've spent much more time with Directionchar (Before it was even released on the MB, in fact!) and the FPS control scheme in general in the last year than I ever have before. I've become fluent enough that I could use it without issue on most things but it's really difficult for me to stop holding forward and immediately apply the brakes using WASD for platforming than it is for me to press Backwards on the arrow keys or a joystick. I know this is what autobrake was created for but it feels so much more unnatural than using any other form of movement. "So why," you may ask, "don't you just make your controls something like turning your character on left and right arrows or left and right on the joystick and have strafe somewhere else?" And to that I say I've tried that before as well! back in the days before 2.1, I used to play that exact playstyle before we made improvements to air movement after jumping! In those days playing analog didn't make any sense to me because as soon as you were in midair, it was impossible to control yourself. I had to figure out where I would land before I jumped, and while that was perfectly fine, it made my gameplay a lot slower as a result. After 2.1 released I started using analog mode more because it started reminding me more and more of games like Sonic Heroes (my first 3D Sonic title) and every 3D game I had played up to that point. It was at this time where I started to utilize braking in midair as a strategy for platforming and got a lot better at the game as a result, to the point where even using the FPS control scheme didn't make sense to me.

It wasn't until Sonic Utopia released that I finally started to understand how well Sonic could control with an FPS control scheme, it just sort of clicked in my head that you could quickly analyze your surroundings for the best route and turn on a dime in a more open environment, and simply point your character where to go in a more closed one. Directionchar was also revealed around that time and I was blown away that they mixed both the aesthetic of analog controls with the FPS control style. As soon as I found someone had tried recreating the control style in 2.1, I loaded up a netgame and let everyone try it (this was actually Jimita's implementation, which lacked things like the character turning to face where the camera was pointing, and instead relied on what direction your momentum was pointing towards), and while it was buggy, it was a big help for me to play using keyboard and mouse. However, when I tried playing on just keyboard in my traditional setup I used for analog, I noticed something didn't feel right compared to just using straight analog, and that was that your camera never really followed where you went. You had to manually turn the camera yourself, which ended up placing a lot more work on me than if I played analog where, while I still have to use the rotate camera keys a lot, I can just let the camera go and it will slowly return to pointing in the direction I'm heading, I can much more easily make slight adjustments based on that.

I started playing Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild around this time as well and realised that I was having similar issues to what I was experiencing with Directionchar with keyboard only, but to a lesser extent. I realised that in those games, while you have to look at enemies and platforms to jump on them, the levels and terrain are a lot more open and you move a lot slower than you do in a Sonic game, and the camera will still follow you after a short time of leaving the camera alone in Mario or you straight up have a button to center the camera behind yourself in Zelda. This doesn't translate well to a Sonic game where you're trying to go fast.

This game has always struggled a bit when it comes to conveyance. Neither the FPS nor the analog control scheme (at least in its current state) do anything to mitigate this, and in some cases, they can't. 2.2 has fixed a lot of issues to the point where I can say tackling this is now a lot easier than it would've been using the old level design. The levels feel a lot more focused and guide the player a lot better than the older ones, and while it's still rather messy at times (I still find myself getting lost a lot in these new levels), it's not as bad as it was before, and I even felt at one point durring the new CEZ1 "dang, this feels like it could be Sonic Adventure 3!"

Now, onto what I like and how I would suggest to improve in both analog and FPS controls. The analog list is going to look a LOT longer but please take the time to read through both.

FPS is pretty good as it is, I will say that Directionchar being on has become my go-to simply because it better displays how I'm moving, what control I've inputted in midair, and where my influence will go. It's a huge step forward for this control style in every way. I'm not sure I'd ever actually turn it off again because it's that good. I almost feel like orbital camera should be turned on by default and maybe rethink turning off mouselook by default because it works rather well. I'd add anglethok and anglestand as options too because they really do help bring me closer to an analog experience in how I can think of where my ability is going to send me, and I can easier think to influence myself in that way.

Analog controls need a lot of work in order to become good enough for general use, and if something is going to be replacing it, I feel what comes after needs to adress the following concerns:
-Analog does not currently follow bosses/things that move around a lot very well, if this is to be an entirely separate mode from the FPS control style then the first thing we need to improve upon is to have the camera lock onto bosses and maybe also have it so that there's a Lua/SOC option to toggle this for certain enemies/objects, if this is going to be an offshoot of directionchar and be based on the FPS control style then this should just be a toggle while keeping the aforementioned Lua/SOC options.
-Analog, ironically enough, currently doesn't support an analog camera which is odd. This means that anyone using it on keyboard and mouse is locked to a very stiff camera that doesn't very well match how the mouse is moving, nor does it allow for joystick mapping. If this is to be entirely separate, then this should probably hook into how the camera currently handles and go from there. If this is to be based off of how the FPS camera currently handles, then it should just be fine as is.
-Analog should support an exclusive set of linedefs/sector types that allow you to specify an object for the camera to smoothly move to, perhaps using texture strings to be able to specify what pitch and yaw to use and for how long (Kind of like awayview, but instead of abruptly cutting away from the player's point of view, the camera smoothly pans over to where the object is), if left blank then it should just focus on the player. This should be carried over if either choice is selected as having such a thing would allow for map creators to take some of the guess work out of where the player should go, instead having the camera focus not only on the player but where the player should go, where they should be looking, or generally what points the way forward. The player should be able to use the rotate camera button or joystick (if pressed hard enough so they don't accidentally bump it) to smoothly pan to return the camera to behind the player.
--The speed at which the camera moves should be definable as one of the variables as well, if left blank then it uses a calculation based on the player's current speed and the distance to the camera destination.
-The default camera rotation speed should be bumped up to around 15 to 20, and made adjustable from the menu.
And one general suggestion for the tutorial:
-If a gamepad is plugged in, you should ask the player what kind of gamepad they're using, XB360/XBone, PS4, Nintendo Switch, or other, and depending on the type of gamepad they choose, display different buttons on the tutorial screens to aid the player in understanding what button does what by default.

That was incredibly long winded but that should give you not only context to how i've been using both control styles, but also how long I've been using both control styles

Last edited:
In fact, I think it's impossible to perfectly replicate my control scheme in 2.2. I've been able to get it to work well for Sonic & Tails, but gliding & climbing with Knuckles, plus the minecart, still requires specific use of the strafe keys.
We found in focus testing that having the camera keys move you in any way caused confusion in many players, and therefore the old hacks that changed turn keys into movement keys had to be removed. As a side benefit, now you can look around while climbing, but at this point strafe keys are mandatory.

Half of the reason I continued to use my crappy control scheme for SP is that I knew it artificially handicapped me and counteracted the years of experience I had playing the game and being able to anticipate what to expect next. I know this will go over like a lead balloon, but I'd recommend the level designers play their maps during design using a control scheme that may not be the most comfortable for them. If you're building your maps while playing it like a speedrunner, you're building it for just 1% of your audience.
I actually do this already, but not to the point of playing with a control scheme that's known to be basically unplayable. For 2.2 I played through the entire game as Sonic alone with a SNES pad to make sure that nothing was punishing players for using the camera keys instead of the mouse. Yes, I cleared the challenge stages, too. For 2.1 I actually did do some serious focus testing to make sure that the game was reasonably possible without strafe, but in hindsight I think that was a mistake. One of the big changes we made in 2.2 was attempting to make it clear to the player that strafe keys are not optional. This is part of why we renamed them to just "move left/right" to make it incredibly clear they're absolutely needed. SRB2 is a three axis game at the core. We're not trying to enforce KB+M as much as we're trying to make sure that players have the tools they will need to have a shot when the game starts upping the ante later on, and tank controls simply aren't adequate beyond THZ.

Last edited:
I will add that, even as a veteran who needed a couple zones to get used to the change, being able to look around while climbing is a GOD SEND, and I'm super happy that the purpose of move left/right and look left/right are extremely clear and don't overlap

Last edited:
I was getting use to the new controls myself, but glideing and thoking where the camera was pointing was not as intuitive as I thought it would have been. Multiple times I caught myself trying to glide in the direction my character was moving in instead of where the camera was facing.

Sonic I have little expereince with in 2.2. So I haven't slipped up as much with him yet.

Tails wound up controlling the best of the base 3 with his flight not being tied to camera direction.

out of the original 3, Tails is the only one who's primary ability isn't camera locked

I've seen a few people in this thread having as much of a problem with analog controls as I have with getting used to the FPS controls, and even some people not even having tried analog before. Some of this could probably be mitigated by giving you a reccomended control scheme and some suggestions on how to play somewhat optimally with analog controls.

I would like to preface this by saying if you have access to a controller and can hook it up to your computer, I encourage you to do so! I would reccomend the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller or an XBox controller of any kind, but I am specifically using the NSW Pro Controller as a reference here.
I would also like to heavily reccomend that you use the console command "cam_rotspeed 15", if that doesn't feel strong enough then try 20. I also encourage that you go back into 2.1 and try these controls out for yourself if you can, as it is the easiest way currently to enable analog mode.

With that out of the way, Here is the reccomended setup for controllers:
-Movement should be mapped to the Left Analog Stick
-Jump should be mapped to B (bottom button)
-Spin should be mapped to A or Y, or both (left and right button, respectively)
-Rotate Camera Left/Right should be mapped to L and R

You may notice that these controls look familiar, and that's because they're based on the ones from Sonic Adventure 1/2. I want you to forget what you know about controlling SRB2 and control this game as if it were an adventure game.

If for some reason you can't get your hands on a controller or hook it up to your PC, here's the suggested controls for keyboard.
-Movement should be mapped to Arrow Keys
-Jump should be mapped to whatever you use for jump in a 2D platformer, I use D, I've also seen people use Space or X.
-Spin should be mapped to whatever you use as your secondary action in a 2D platformer, I use S, I've also seen people use Left Shift or Z.
-Rotate Camera Left/Right should be mapped to something easily accessible, I use Q/W, You could also use A and S if you are already using Z/X.
-Unplug your mouse, disable it, throw it out the window if you must. Analog doesn't support mouse at all, remove the mouse from your mind. Even in 2.2 where they made it so you can rotate the camera with the mouse, it doesn't work.

I can not express enough how you need to map Camera Rotation to something easily accessible, because you will be using it almost as much as turning in the FPS control style, when turning tighter corners, seeing your character more easily, navigating around walls... It's pretty necessary.

I want you to forget everything you know about SRB2 and try playing the game as an adventure game instead of SRB2, it will make a lot more sense when you do. Try getting to at least Techno Hill if you haven't previously given analog a chance like this, and i'd like to hear your opinions on what you thought of it, how it controlled, and what could be done to improve it and how does it compare to FPS now that you've tried it like this.

Last edited:
I never tried directionchar in 2.1, but now that it's a vanilla option I honestly really enjoy it. It feels like the old analog mode, but with the manual camera control I want out of a platformer.
I'm noticing myself missing thoks more often though; I guess I'm used to "aiming down the sight" of Sonic's sprite. But as Fang said, a nice tall third-person crosshair would fix that problem.

As far as making the camera-forward nature of the game more obvious for beginners, what if directionchar doesn't take effect until you're close to your runspeed? This way when the player is shuffling in place e.g. to position themself for a jump, the character remains facing forward.

I've been using analog mode with a controller since early 2003. It's my preferred way of playing the game despite analog mode having a horrible camera. Thoking and gliding are WAY more fun for platforming when they're controlled by movement instead of the camera. There are multiple instances I've died or lost rings with Sonic because the thoking direction is based off the camera instead of movement.

I also miss being able to spindash any direction I want and having more control over the direction my character is facing. Can't a strafing toggle be enabled? It would give everyone more control options, rather than taking away options many of us have been using for over 15 years. Like if it was an extra key a player pressed to enter and leave strafing while in-game, that would be ideal.

It's annoying to feel like I have to move the camera constantly. The amount of camera control is nice, especially with the new sprite rotation camera option, but I don't want to have to constantly move the camera. I regularly deal with hand pain issues and the strafing controls are more exhausting to my shitty hands than analog mode controls.

I get that the default controls are more ideal for speedrunning, but SRB2 is the type of game I put a lot of time into once every 2-3 years. I am not serious about speedrunning this game, I just play it for fun. I have a very long history of speedrunning levels in analog mode for fun. Until a replacement to analog mode is implemented in the game, analog mode should stay an option. It's not fair to your longtime fans who have been playing this game since they were young to suddenly be forced to play a different control scheme.

I think a toggleable option in the controls menu to allow abilities such as Sonic's thok or Knuckles' glide to go in the direction the character is facing, rather than the direction the camera is pointing in, would go a small way to alleviate some of the issues people are having with a lack of analog control.

Absolutely this. The main gripe I have with the current analog control setting is the conflicting character ability vs camera direction. There have been a few instances (especially Knuckles) that I kept going off course, because the character’s movement direction is locked-on towards a specific point they will move towards, no matter where they are facing until you are forced to move the camera. That itself, is incredibly annoying and I personally would welcome an option like that in the game.

Last edited:
So a bunch a bunch of people have suggested adding a button that resets the camera in analog mode to make turning easier, however it still seems like that won't be ideal for bosses. So I have another solution which is adding a 3d zelda styled lock on button that has the camera focus on the boss. Similar to how the lock on with the magnet shield works

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back