Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Execute Script -> addfile NewPalette.wad -> ??? -> PROFIT

So it is possible right now, and it wouldn't be hard to allow it on the fly.

Two wadfiles for just one OLDC SP map? I'm not sure if that would be allowed...

EDIT: Yep, it isn't. =/

Last edited:
On another note, if nobody submits their creations soon, I might just win the Race contest by default. Does everyone always wait until the last second to submit? ...Or am I missing something?

EDIT: @kirbyo - Skyward Islands sounds too much like Angel Island to me. Skyward Peaks sounds about right to me.

It helps me keep things organised better, and reduces the amount of things onscreen at once. Sunset Town didn't need them at all honestly (but I made that when I was a newbie, and thus, didn't know much about zoom tubes and other axis-changing things for 2D mode. Hell, that first Zoom Tube is actually broken, IIRC), but Cloud Cradle probably wouldn't work right without them, nor would this level.
Nonsense. Teleporters are lazy design. This is not saying there aren't times when they're just more practical, such as Nev3r's usage of teleport cheatery in ERZ2, but the reality is that you should NEVER use teleports unless there is absolutely no other way. Instead of teleporting players between rooms, make corridors to do the same thing. Classic Sonic never teleported the player, instead using gimmicky lifts, zoom tubes, or the sky sanctuary beam teleport devices that let the player see how they move around the stage. If they can get away with not using them, so can you.

This is indeed coming from the guy who used teleports in Mystic Realm. This does not mean it's not bad design.

On another note, if nobody submits their creations soon, I might just win the Race contest by default. Does everyone always wait until the last second to submit? ...Or am I missing something?
Yes, everyone tends to wait until the last minute to submit their maps.

D00D, your map is quite average from what I played. I do have a name suggestion for you, which I was gonna use for my scapped air level:
Astral Cloudscape
And here are some others, just because:
Mesosphere Heights
Ethereal Fields
Windy Highlands
Breezy Summit

Personally, I like the name Mesosphere Heights best. Astral Cloudscape sounds cool, but I don't think it fits the level's theme quite so well.

Does everyone always wait until the last second to submit?
Yes. Besides, there are four topics in Submissions. Assuming one of them is yours, there are three more and there's no way for normal users to know which gametype they're for, so.

Classic Sonic never teleported the player
You'd be surprised! Sonic 3 actually uses silent teleporting a lot, notably during act switches, like at the end of Ice Cap 1, where during that last tunnel before the mini boss, it slams a door shut behind you and teleports you to a visually identical corridor. Anyway, it's not as much "cheatery" as it is cleverness.

I actually put some thought into it and silent teleports would be a really good way to up performance on large levels where you lose line of sight with adjacent rooms, yet they don't have one-sided linedefs in the middle (for instance, a situation where line of sight is lost due to differing sector heights). If you properly set up relative teleports on each side, you can make an undetectable, seamless transition between both rooms and yet prevent the game from stupidly drawing the room in the far back before drawing the one you're in over it.

It's only a teleport if the player can tell, Neo. You can tell we cheated in ERZ2. You can't tell in classic Sonic.

It's only a teleport if the player can tell, Neo. You can tell we cheated in ERZ2. You can't tell in classic Sonic.
I couldn't! It wasn't until I opened it in Doom Builder that I realized there were two silent teleports in the stage.

We're talking about the elevator and the vent, right? Both are completely unnoticeable.

I decided to go with Mystic, even though some areas would... probably not transition all that well, but whatever, I'm trying. The teleporters will still be in, but will be used for another purpose, which you shall see in due time.

xsrb0116.png

This cave then takes you to...

xsrb0119.png

In a place filled with PALLETE SWAPPED TEXTURES
THE MOST EVIL KIND OF TEXTURES

Oh, and the sky changes, hence why the cave isn't just a straight forward path.

Anyways, you see why this place is difficult to name? It changes visual themes on a dime, so while the concept is the same, different areas have unique visual pieces and gimmicks.

Last edited:
I couldn't! It wasn't until I opened it in Doom Builder that I realized there were two silent teleports in the stage.

We're talking about the elevator and the vent, right? Both are completely unnoticeable.
The teleports themselves aren't noticable, but personally, I have enough spacial reasoning to know that something is wrong when I get back to the start. I don't know how many of you are like this, but when I drive around IRL, I know which direction I'm facing and therefore rarely get lost in such a way that I can't at least find my way back to a place I recognize. It takes something significantly dramatic to screw up that internal compass, although it is possible to mess it up.

When playing video games, I can tell when I'm silently teleported and the spacial connection doesn't match up if it's dramatic enough. I know I'm in the minority in being able to catch it, but you CAN catch it if you have the proper kind of internal compass.

Last edited:
Which... I don't.

I wasn't until I opened it in SRB2DB that I knew about the teleporters. I also think it's "cleverness" rather than "cheatery." Or maybe clever cheatery...

Like, making your cheat subtle enough to not get caught.

The teleports themselves aren't noticable, but personally, I have enough spacial reasoning to know that something is wrong when I get back to the start. I don't know how many of you are like this, but when I drive around IRL, I know which direction I'm facing and therefore rarely get lost in such a way that I can't at least find my way back to a place I recognize. It takes something significantly dramatic to screw up that internal compass, although it is possible to mess it up.

When playing video games, I can tell when I'm silently teleported and the spacial connection doesn't match up if it's dramatic enough. I know I'm in the minority in being able to catch it, but you CAN catch it if you have the proper kind of internal compass.
With all the 2D-3D switching, zoom tubes and TELEPORTS (actual visible ones) the stage throws at you, I question the fact that you can actually perceive the stage as not making sense spatially, and it only really bugs you because you already know that the teleports are there.

There are four topics in Submissions.

You lost me. Four? Four? I'm definitely missing something, because I only see one topic, and it's mine. But whatever, I'll just be confused. I'll see the other entries eventually. No biggie.

You lost me. Four? Four? I'm definitely missing something, because I only see one topic, and it's mine. But whatever, I'll just be confused. I'll see the other entries eventually. No biggie.
You can only see your own entry. I, for example, can see none (yet).

Well, seeing as I can't finish this map in time for the upcoming contest due to personal matters (Horrid Grades), I shall give you some screenshots of yet another WIP map that I am making for CTF, Climate Chaos Zone.

srb20001.png

srb20002.png

srb20003.png

srb20004.png

srb20005.png

srb20006.png

srb20007.png

srb20008.png

EDIT: WTF Glitch in 3rd screenshot. I'll need to fix the FOF problems that i've been having there. I'll probably redo that entire section.
EDIT to EDIT: Purple water in Screen 3, I think it's a colormap problem, or it's just the F-ed up FOFs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back