Fly on Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they had implemented Luigi's flutter jump and Wario's charging dash move, the variation in characters might have been better.

As it was, Mario was Mario, Luigi was Mario who can run on water, and Wario was Mario who was really strong (but sluggish), while Yoshi went and did his own thing.

Luigi can also kinda glide when do a backflip. Kinda like when you jump on the white thing with a copter on top. Wario in the other hand don't do much except breaking black blocks.

Last edited:
I forget if there was any real advantage to actually playing as the different characters over just playing as Yoshi and using the different caps. As far as I'm concerned, Yoshi was the only worthwhile addition to the game. Separating flying, metal, and invisibility into different characters was an exercise in stupidity, it's more irritating than anything. Making Yoshi playable, on the other hand, was exactly the sort of thing players wanted.

But, you can easily lose your caps. I would rather be luigi then having to get hit and lose my hat and look all over for it!

I got all 150. IT IS A PIECE OF CRAP. Nothing good happens at the end.
WRONG. It unlocks the cannon outside the castle...but I'll admit it's rather anticlimactic.

Yeah, the characters aren't balanced that well. Luigi's spin tornado, for example, enables me to get some stars that are supposed to be only accessible by Mario (i.e. "Mario's Super Wall Kick" in Cool Cool Mountain. Also, there's no incentive to play as Wario unless you have no choice, because he is so freakin' underpowered in every area other than strength.

On an unrelated note, check out my coin highscores on the levels (No hacking was involved...although a few of them took advantage of opportune glitches. And with the exception of Big Boo's Haunt, all of these scores were set while playing as Yoshi).

Bob-Omb Battlefield-------182 Coins
Whomp's Fortress---------205 Coins
Jolly Roger Bay-----------135 Coins
Cool, Cool Mountain-------255 Coins
Big Boo's Haunt-----------160 Coins
Hazy Maze Cave----------176 Coins
Lethal Lava Land---------214 Coins
Shifting Sand Land--------167 Coins
Dire, Dire Docks----------147 Coins
Snowman's Land----------255 Coins
Wet-Dry World-----------157 Coins
Tall, Tall Mountain--------197 Coins
Tiny-Huge Island---------255 Coins
Tick Tock Clock----------132 Coins
Rainbow Ride-------------255 Coins

Note: It is physically impossible to get more than 255 coins. Once you hit 255, you can still collect coins, but they are not added to your score.

Now, here are my scores on the minigames:

Wanted!--------------------256 Stars
Loves Me...?----------------N/A
Hide and Boo Seek-----------8 Stars (I'm not good at this one...)
Puzzle Panel-----------------12 Stars
Boom Box-------------------17 Stars
Tox Box Shuffle--------------13 Stars
Which Wiggler?--------------15 Stars
Mix-a-Mug------------------1,057 Stars (That's no joke! Took me a while.)
Puzzle Panic-----------------12 Stars
Mario's Slides----------------33 Stars
Bounce and Pounce----------54 Stars
Sort or 'Splode---------------193 Points
Trampoline Time-------------126 Points
Shuffle Shell-----------------2,000 Points
Bounce and Trounce---------234 Points
Connect the Characters------23 Stars
Shell Smash-----------------64,660 Points
Trampoline Terror------------41,800 Points
Memory Match---------------Currently 57 Coins
Pair-a-Gone------------------Currently 89 Coins
Picture Poker-----------------Currently 1,737 Coins
Mushroom Roulette-----------Currently 84 Coins
Mario Slot--------------------Currently 82 Coins
Lucky Stars------------------Currently 48 Coins
Pair-a-Gone and On----------520 Points
Memory Master---------------Currently 35 Coins
Super Mario Slot-------------Currently 3,516 Coins
Bob-Omb Squad--------------106,200 Points
Snowball Slalom--------------13.53 Seconds
Bingo Ball--------------------20,900 Points (a perfect score!)
Coincentration---------------36 Points
Psyche Out!------------------21 Stars
Slots Shot--------------------51,800 Points
Lakitu Launch-----------------28 Points
Intense Coincentration--------16 Points (a perfect score!)
Giant Snowball Slalom---------26.53 Seconds

What are your scores?

Last edited:
But, you can easily lose your caps. I would rather be luigi then having to get hit and lose my hat and look all over for it!
But then you can easily pick it back up.

Honestly, besides Yoshi, there's no reason to prefer the DS one over the 64 one. Yoshi should've been the only new character, or the only character, as, unlike the other characters, he greatly changes the gameplay.

What about the minigames? Those are pretty fun, and exclusive to SM64DS. Also, many of the 3D models are VASTLY improved, like the Goombas. Plus, there are a few minor differences that add a little bit to the gameplay.

Thirty stars is barely much, mainly because most of the new ones aren't interesting, as most of them are tedious hunts.

lso, many of the 3D models are VASTLY improved, like the Goombas.
Well, duh? It's on a much newer system. What, you think that we'd really care about the difference between the graphics?

What about the minigames? Those are pretty fun, and exclusive to SM64DS.
Yeah, and a good portion of them are in NSMB (and some new and better minigames are in the NSMB as well), and minigames can't stand alone, as they are mere distractions, so they don't really count.
I played NSMB solely for multiplayer minigame time with Kyasarin. The multiplayer minigame mode option added much more than playing them alone. If the minigames were this much fin in 64DS, I'd give the game a slightly higher score.

I beg to differ--NSMB's array of minigames was subpar. They basically just took all the minigames from SM64DS, threw out half of them, including many of my favorites, and added in about two or three new games, most of which were unremarkable. The multiplayer battle system was fun, but the single player minigames in NSMB were a cheap, halfhearted ripoff of those in SM64DS.

I wasn't referring to the Star-collecting mode. I'm referring to the little minigames themselves.
Most of the SM64 minigames are too similar to each other, and several of them are almost entirely luck-based.

Then again, this is all opinion.

But then you can easily pick it back up.

Honestly, besides Yoshi, there's no reason to prefer the DS one over the 64 one. Yoshi should've been the only new character, or the only character, as, unlike the other characters, he greatly changes the gameplay.

Try loosing your hat in that boo level. I would rather finish the level as Yohsi then picking it up...

Luigi was the best character in my opinion. Hes fast, runs on water, jumps high, and can run on water.

Oh, It was odd how Mario could only use the wing cap. Others characters should've been able to...

Autosaver said:
Try loosing your hat in that boo level. I would rather finish the level as Yohsi then picking it up...
What's your point? This doesn't mean anything.

Autosaver said:
Luigi was the best character in my opinion. Hes fast, runs on water, jumps high, and can run on water.
He's also hard to control, running on water is useless, and he's overpowered.

Autosaver said:
Oh, It was odd how Mario could only use the wing cap. Others characters should've been able to...
It should be obvious that it was done to help balance the characters, somewhat.
The main things I dislike about the multiple characters is that:

• They're unbalanced. Why be Wario or Mario when I can be Luigi or simply Yoshi?
  • Hats ruin everything. There's absolutely no reason (except in levels where you fight Bowser, and castle puzzles) to swtich to characters that aren't Yoshi when he can transform into them and do what they can.
  • Yoshi's the only one with variety. He has a different moveset from the others. The others? Well, they don't, really.

With regards to the extra characters, I personally wish Mario was the only one included in the DS game. Splitting him up shattered his usual reputation as a well-balanced, "can-handle-any-situation" kind of guy.

If Yoshi with caps were the only one playable, the option to take off caps without taking damage would be appreciated.

Last edited:
In response to fawfulfan's record on Puzzle Panel, mine is 130 stars. But that record is on my NSMB cartridge.

If you have a piece of paper and a pen, and mark X's for "wrong" and O's for "right", then once you get to the "3 turns" ones, you can get it pretty much beat it every time. It never goes beyond requiring three panel turns, at least on NSMB. I don't know if it's the same for SM64DS.

Mario... as a well-balanced, "can-handle-any-situation" kind of guy.

No he's not. He's a pompous egotist who somehow manages to worm his way to the center of attention every single time. Why do you think his Power Flower special turns him into a balloon?

I swear, every person I've seen who praises Mario for being "awesome" manages to overlook that negative aspect of his character.

Last edited:
Whoa, FoxBlitzz, slow down. I never said anything about liking Mario's character, nor did I say he was awesome. In fact, personality-wise, he's a rather dull, forgetable character.

I suppose I should have been more specific. When I said that Mario is a "well-balanced, 'can-handle-any-situation' kind of guy", I'm refering to his usual highly versatile moveset in the 3D games, especially SM64. I like the concept of one character with a wide set of moves that can be used creatively to get anywhere and overcome any obstacle in the game. That's why I dislike the inclusion of Luigi and Wario in the DS remake. They trump his jumping abilities and strength, respectively, and make him a less amazing, one-man wonder in the process.

I'd also challenge your assertion that Mario "manages to worm his way to the center of attention every single time". While he is the center of attention in all the main Mario titles (and really, why shouldn't he?), he's increasingly flanked by numerous supporting characters, like the Pinatas, Nokis, Rosalina, the Lumas and the Toad Brigade. And then there's the RPG and sports series, where there are dozens of secondary characters in each title, taking further attention away from Mario. And then there's the spin-offs of the Mario franchise, like the Donkey Kong Country, Warioland, WarioWare, and Yoshi's Island series, where he's clearly not the main star or, in some cases, not even present at all! That's why I don't think Mario will threaten the presence and development of other series characters in the games.

If Mario was the only character ever being focused in the Mario series, that'd be truly lame because Mario is a really boring character. Without the secondary characters, Mario wouldn't be the same. Imagine the Mario series without Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Yoshi, and Birdo. Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser can't hold up all of the spin-offs by themselves.

...Anyways. Except for bosses, I never use Mario. Using him makes the game feel the same way it did years ago.

I just read some of your posts, and you seem to be throwing out everything new in this game.
"But its a better system, minigames were the same(Not really), characters are boring"
Plus there is a multiplayer...

I
"But its a better system, minigames were the same(Not really), characters are boring"
With a much superior system, I was really hoping for it's port to be much better. One of the highest rated games ever gets an update, and all we get are some mediocre character switching gimmicks and 30 new stars?
The characters, except for Yoshi, are boring. Wario is the most situational character in the game, Luigi is overpowered, Mario is balanced, and Yoshi is the best. Yoshi changes the gameplay, unlike playing as Luigi or Mario. The fact that flying, being metal, and being invisible is separated by three characters is just stupid.
Most minigames are very similar in design, and just not fun.
Plus there is a multiplayer...
Yes, a crappy multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back