MetAlt - Now with more buttons you can press!

MetAlt - Now with more buttons you can press! 3

Zoraxua

Idiot Hybrid
MetAlt was a personal project I was making for fun. My friends liked it, alot, so I decided to toss em into the submissions.

MetAlt is an alternate version of Metal Sonic, with a moveset that hybrids Sonic, Amy and Fang.

Abilities!

srb20050.gif

MetAlt can freely swap between having a Homing Thok with Multiability or a short special Twinspin by pressing Custom 2

srb20057.gif
srb20059.gif

New to V2, the TwinVolt, an invincible Twinspin that only works when not in water!

srb20061.gif

When timed perfectly, you can use the TwinVolt to jump off harmful floors such as Lava or Electricity! But Water can still damage if not careful!

srb20051.gif

By pressing Custom 3, MetAlt can do the Quick Dash, which after a short charge up time, allows him to burst ahead into dashmode!

srb20052.gif

Instead of a Spindash, MetAlt can use Gunslinger to launch a laser, but be careful as it has a significant delay before you can do anything after!

srb20053.gif
srb20058.gif

MetAlt can go Super too! But with some extra bonuses whilst in Super..

MetAlt was also also developed after Metal, this means that one of Metal's greatest flaws has been fixed! MetAlt is waterproof and can breathe forever in water! (And Space, because beep boop)

Extras

MetAlt has Custom Music for many scenarios, none of which overwrite vanilla tracks!
MetAlt uses Vanilla sprites, with some being modified!
MetAlt is compatible with Super Run, and maybe more down the line

Tips and Tricks

srb20060.gif
srb20056.gif

A small sound is played when your Quick Dash is recharged!
Homing Thok can be cancelled by pressing jump again!
You can retain the momentum from the Homing Thok via the MomentumShift, which is done if you switch to TwinVolt just before you connect with the thing you're Homing on!
Switching back to Homing Thok after such will also allow you to use Homing Thok again!
You can retain homing momentum in super simply by cancelling before connecting!
Pressing Jump and Spin at the same time on the ground lets you shoot without having to deal with the post fire stun!
MetAlt is a neutral agent of chaos, you can get points by attacking your teammates with projectiles totally intentionally. Do this if you wanna lose friends :3

Changelog

V1.0 - Release​

V2.0 - The TwinVolt Update​

Some sprite changes to Super and Normal​

Added in the TwinVolt, a change to the Twinspin that allows you to take no damage during it, as long as you're above water

Added in some different SFX

S_PLAY changes

Added in the TwinGlide, holding spin after a Twinspin in super allows you to glide similar to Metal Float, without carrying upward momentum

Added in a feature for getting stunned in Super forme (Such as damage in NiGHTS, or Corked by Fang)

V3.0 - The flow update​

BT_SPIN is now better used:
When you have homing selected, BT_SPIN will use the Momentum Shift Homing attack without the need to swap abilities, however it can only be used once per jump, and as the first homing attack.
If there's no nearby enemies and you have homing selected, BT_SPIN will launch you ahead with your current speed like a momentum based thok.
When you have TwinVolt selected, BT_SPIN will fire off a laser at the closest enemy without sacrificing momentum.
If there's no nearby enemies and you have TwinVolt selected, BT_SPIN will fire off a laser aimed at where you aim your camera, once again without any speed cost.
BT_SPIN tends to follow these rules, however now shields all act differently when used with MetAlt. The effects both depend on whether you have Homing or TwinVolt active. Play around with the shields!

The Quick Dash will allow you to keep your momentum when using it in DashMode, and also increases on said momentum.
The Quick Dash also adds onto the DashMode timer when in DashMode, meaning the more times you use Quick Dash in DashMode, the longer time you have to correct yourself if you, for example, have a head-on collision with a wall.
Another button now does strong attack stuff, at the cost of many rings. Try find a use for it! If you can find it!
Probably at least 1 bugfix! Wow so cool!

Other Notes

I do not own the sprites, they belong to STJR.
MetAlt has their own character slot, leaving Metal Sonic free to be used alongside.

Attachments

• VCL_MetAlt-V1.0.pk3
    6 MB · Views: 1,426
  • VCL_MetAlt-V2.0.pk3
    6 MB · Views: 1,680
Last edited:
It was only a matter of time Metal Sonic would get an Alt to match Alt Sonic. I guess you could say they're "Look-a-Likes"? Eh? Eh? Fine I'll go.

I think these are neat, but I do have some minor gripes with some of his skills.
For one, I think the homing thok is a bit... not useful with his playstyle.
The boost mechanic doesn't support how the homing thok cuts your momentum, and always forcibly resets you to level one at BEST, and when it comes to enemies you lose all your boost then and there.
The twinspin I find... Iiiiiinteresting? It feels awkward to use, but maybe that's because I don't play Amy often. I feel like, if anything, you could try and merge it with the homing thok, if possible, to make one that launches you high and lets you maintain your speed when hitting an enemy, while also homing onto it.
I... Don't... See much reason for the laser cooldown. If it's an attempt to balance for bosses, the bosses hit-stun nulls it's usefulness. The resulting lag also comes off as a bit annoying, given every bit of his moveset seems to imply constant movement.
The high-jump into boost is neat, but it feels a bit clunky in how it's approached.

I get this is a project for fun, but my overall suggestions may be as follows;
Either replace the Homing Thok with a momentum-based thok if at all possible, to let his boost have a chance to shine through, or merge his twinspin with it to make it a homing thok that sends you flying when you hit an enemy, to be useful for height.
Maybe give the Twinspin some elements of the insta-shield? This way it could be used to pass through hazards while going at high speeds. Not needed if the twinspin merge happens, of course.
Maybe make Metal still able to move while shooting (Without speed decrease) but in exchange he still has a cooldown between shots, and it costs a ring or two to fire.
As for the insta-boost, I'd personally suggest making the jump last as long as you hit the button, and instantly fire off the boost when released. Maybe make it keep your boost and launch you off faster, and let you jump heigher, with each level of boost you're on when you activate it. This way, for spending 30 rings, you can instantly activate your max boost- or when you're already in it, spend 10 rings for a super high jump.

This mod seems pretty cool, but I have some genuine criticism.
First of all, I know somebody else just did a post like this, but I just have to drop my peanut in the barrel.
Issue number 1: Homing Thok. Out of the box, SRB2's homing thok is a bit slow, and isn't super speed-centric. Speaking from past experience with Alt Sonic, base homing thok is not a good idea to put alongside dash mode. Here I suggest slightly tweaking it so that the air dash is fast on it's own, but make it so you also don't come to a dead stop from hitting something with the homing part.
Issue 2: The gunslinger stuff, dash mode, and the Quick Dash. Both the gunslinger stuff and quick dash on their own aren't super fun to use IMO, though that's just a thing of my own personal preference. However, having attempted to do something like MetAlt myself (and not submitting it due to certain reasons) I can give a suggestion or two based on what I tried myself. Make the laser (and super energy blasts) tied to the quick dash in the sense that starting the move puts you in a hover state of sorts, and pressing a certain button before the move charges (and launches you into dash mode) will make you fire the projectile. I also recommend making dash mode more of a usable ability here instead of a passive similarly to vanilla metal, where quick dash lets you attain dash mode but once it's gone you gotta quick dash to use it again.

Overall this mod seems like it has potential, but just barely falls short of being super great. It's not bad though. I also understand making the project for fun, since I did that with Alt Sonic originally (but look where he is now, haha...)

i know this is out of the loop (a bit), but do you remember Metal Anyone?
he was very similar to this character (using the same concept of Metal Sonic using different abilities), only here you can choose skills and they are not given to you at random.
mh..... Metal Anyone 2.2?

Oops

I updated this but I forgot to make a follow up post noting such, sorry.

MetAlt V2, a few sprite changes, TwinVolt, and Sounds, check out the main post for more details. Nothing big, truthfully.

Please play around with the MomentumShift via swapping from Homing Thok to Twinspin mid homing (Via Custom 2) to make more use out of the Homing Thok

I personally developed the Quick Dash with the idea of being more so for recovery than for speed, since I feel most players are more likely to hit a wall in Dashmode than to clear the entire level without stopping. It's also a useful tool for recovering a fall, which is what I mostly use it for, as for the gunslinger laser it exists mostly as an option rather than encouraged to use it, sort of an offer to attack from a distance at the cost of how slow it is. Another note for the Quick Dash is that you can make it go lower if you hold jump before Custom 3, and then let go before the dash. That's kinda just my thought process though, and of course the criticisms are very valid, please know that! I am very sorry if this is not the update you were hoping for.

Zoraxua updated MetAlt - Now with more buttons you can press! with a new update entry:

"I totally didnt have this update ready several months ago and just forgot to upload it here" update

OOPS LMAO

Anyways changelog, featuring some stuff;

V3.0 - The flow update

• BT_SPIN is now better used:

• When you have homing selected, BT_SPIN will use the Momentum Shift Homing attack without the need to swap abilities, however it can only be used once per jump, and as the first homing attack.
  • If there's no nearby enemies and you have homing...

Read the rest of this update entry...

The addon doesnt work when you load a level pack like cyber realm (there are some exceptions like mystic realm and the sugois)
Can you fix that?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back