SRB2 version 2.2.3

LoganA

Administrator
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Posted by Rob Tisdell on 05-10-2020 10:07 PM.

Hey all
We've just added 2.2.3 as a patch update. Find it on the downloads page!

Highlights are:

* The console can now be used during menus
* The emblem hints and radar can now be used in Record Attack
* Continues can now be used infinitely in the vanilla game while using a save file; collecting tokens after obtaining all the emeralds rewards extra lives instead
* Added new laser effects for the Greenflower Zone 3 boss
* Many more features and fixes for modding purposes. See the full changelog here.

Linux users, binaries are available where they usually are. You can find that on the downloads page, they'll be updated within moments of the post.

Mac users, we have a stable environment to make Mac builds in, we're hoping to have a 2.2.3 build ready for you guys soon. Hold tight.

Windows users, you'll notice that we don't have a 64 bit build again. This is deliberate. The 64 bit build does not provide errorlogs, and those are becoming increasingly more important. The more people we have using those instead of 32 bit builds creates issues for getting reliable bug reports. And since there's no benefit whatsoever to having a 64 bit build since Windows runs 32 bit applications perfectly fine, we're not going to provide 64 bit builds until we can figure out what's going on that is preventing errorlogs from being generated. As such, you will need a fresh 2.2.1 install of the 32-bit build to patch 2.2.3 over, the new patch will not work with the resource files that 64 bit builds required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted by Rob Tisdell on 05-10-2020 10:07 PM.

See the full changelog here.

[/url]

Er, not to be a spoilsport but the link to the full changelog didn't really translate properly in the Forums post. Can still just go to the main site and access it there, of course, but if you're gonna have it on forums... eh.

Continues can now be used infinitely in the vanilla game while using a save file; collecting tokens after obtaining all the emeralds rewards extra lives instead
Does it mean that you need to have a completed save file to be able to do it?

As such, you will need a fresh 2.2.1 install of the 32-bit build to patch 2.2.3 over
So, having a 2.2.2 install doesn't work?

The new MIDIs are sick!!! From here on out I'm going to run them through GXSCC to finish my 8-bit covers (just kidding).

Does it mean that you need to have a completed save file to be able to do [infinite continues]? [...]
If you play in a "no save" slot, you have a limited amount of continues that you can increase in special stages/by collecting tokens when you have all Chaos Emeralds.

If you play in any save slot, whether completed or not, you have an infinite amount of continues all the time (unless an add-on disables infinite continues).

Whoa, finally we are out of the 1998 MIDIs now. Awesome!

If you don't want them for some reason, you can remove the patch_music.pk3 file.

If you play in a "no save" slot, you have a limited amount of continues that you can increase in special stages/by collecting tokens when you have all Chaos Emeralds.

If you play in any save slot, whether completed or not, you have an infinite amount of continues all the time (unless an add-on disables infinite continues).
So the game is now slightly easier? To be honest I have no idea what continues did in this game because I never got any Game Over in the 2.2...

I always found it useless in game with a save feature such as Sonic 3 & Knuckles because it just makes you restart in the first Act of the Zone you've reached.

So the game is now slightly easier? To be honest I have no idea what continues did in this game because I never got any Game Over in the 2.2....
Save files already brought you back to the start of your latest act and restored your lost lives, so Continues have always been pretty superfluous for them. Continues restart the current act and give you 5 lives.

Edit: I'm not really feeling the new charselect font, the shadow makes the text look pushed into the corner of its border and uneven.
JR9XQIm.png

Also save files show your score now for some reason! Wasn't mentioned in the changelog. I uh.. kinda don't like it either, it's not important information (especially when levels played through level select continue to raise it) and makes the save file screen feel cluttered to me. There's Record Attack for those looking to go for high scores.

Last edited:
So the game is now slightly easier? To be honest I have no idea what continues did in this game because I never got any Game Over in the 2.2...
I always found it useless in game with a save feature such as Sonic 3 & Knuckles because it just makes you restart in the first Act of the Zone you've reached.
If you die with extra lives remaining, you respawn at the latest Star Post/checkpoint. If you die without extra lives remaining, you get a Game Over.
If you get a Game Over and use a continue, you will respawn at the start of the current level. If you get a Game Over and don't use a continue, you will be sent back to the title screen, and have to resume from the start of the last level that SRB2 saved data at.

Considering that SRB2's vanilla campaign saves between every level since v2.2.1 or v2.2.2, not just every zone, there's not really much difference between using and not using a continue (maybe besides how many extra lives you end up with afterwards, though I'm not sure). You will resume at the same level either way.
So it's not "easier", just "less time-consuming" if you get multiple Game Overs, while not impacting you if you don't.

[...] Also save files show your score now for some reason! Wasn't mentioned in the changelog. I uh.. kinda don't like it either, it's not important information (especially when levels played through level select continue to raise it) and makes the save file screen feel cluttered to me. There's Record Attack for those looking to go for high scores.
Now that continues are infinite, showing the remaing amount of continues on the save cards wouldn't make sense. Meanwhile, the save cards would look "empty" if the continue counter was just removed, so a score counter was put in its place instead.

As for "you can still raise it after beating the game", that may be an argument to show it, not hide it. Some people might like to grind and see how high a score they can get, and then having the score shown on the save cards makes it easier to tell the score of a save slot without having to enter a level first.

(I'm personally indifferent towards whether or not the score should be shown on save cards. I'm not a fan of it, but I probably don't dislike it either.)

Before 2.2.1, the game saved every zone instead of every act, so continues were useful in save files for not having to start an entire zone all over again.

After the save system was changed to every act, continues as a special thing in save files became basically superfluous, so as of 2.2.3, continues in save files instead just allow you to start an act over without getting sent back to the title screen. Continues are still useful in no-save mode for allowing you to continue the game instead of getting a game over.

Thanks for your answers! Back to the subject of the 2.2.3, will be there a video trailer for this small update?

Probably not, unless somebody feels like making one. At this point the patch is already out and I don't know of anyone on the dev team that's making a video.

Not much point making a trailer for every patch tbh. I don't think we made one for the existing patches (what exactly would there be to show anyway, it's largely bug fixes anyway).

This Patch (for some reason) set off my anti-virus... Is this Completely safe? I am paranoid. (have had troubles with Viruses in the past...) I just wanna know...

This Patch (for some reason) set off my anti-virus... Is this Completely safe? I am paranoid. (have had troubles with Viruses in the past...) I just wanna know...
No, it's not a virus, if you're asking. Did you not see the QnA section?
Plus, 2.2.4 already released, go check it out.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back