SRB2 bosses opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile - Cool boss, could use some minor adjustments on his attacks to make things a bit easier, but nothing drastic.

Slimer - Sound design is bad on the pinch phase. Boss could use a minor difficulty increase. There should be a visual indication that Eggman's pogo stick deals damage.

Sea - Sound design is extremely bad. Water is definitely too punishing and needs to be toned down.

Calibur - Pinch phase needs to be made more intuitive. Cage should not obscure Eggman's telegraphs.

Metal Sonic - Cool. Pinch phase takes forever though. Length of it should be toned down just a bit.

Brak - No real complaints. Pop-up blocks could stand to be a bit wider.

First boss:
Really good, but I'd argue it's SLIGHTLY too difficult for a first boss. I'd decrease the turning speed of the laser very slightly, and decrease the spike barrier to 3 spikes instead of 4. That said, for experienced players it's totally perfect difficulty. How he raises his finger corresponding to the side of his ship he fires from is a very very nice touch.

Slimer:
Feels about the same as 2.0. Maybe a little boring but decent.

Sea:
About the same difficulty as 2.0 if you don't fall into the water. The shock timer could be turned down a little bit. It screwed me once despite taking the shortest route possible out of the water, but the second time I ended up being fine. For experienced players it's no problem, but for the inexperienced I can see it being really frustrating.

Last edited:
If you are tired of the gravity room in metal's fight, then just enter FLIPCAM 1 anf try playing metal boss, it'll make your life easier :D.

WELP, TIME TO GIVE MUH 2 CENTS.

Egg Mobile: Meh, similar to 2.0, and all his new attacks are easily dodged, as he can still hurt himself by ramming you while you are spinning. Either that or I just got lucky with spike placements every time.

Egg Slimer: Glass was added, and the pinch phase was made slightly harder now that the pogo stick hurts you. Not much to say, other than praise the sun that the slime now despawns at a reasonable time now.

Sea Egg: Other than the god awful zap timer and the clones, the Sea Egg is just as fun as 2.0. And while the zap timer could be extended, the clones I am fine with, it helps the boss better match the difficulty of DSZ itself.

Eggscalibur: I'll admit, I hated this boss at first since I had no clue what to do, but now, I love it. Now only does the boss put a twist on the whole, "Run and hit 'em before he attacks!" formula, but instead forces you to wait and seize the chance to rain spinning death on Robotnik's contraption (Yes, I am referring to him as Robotnik, it's a better name IMAO and is not as laughable), but the pinch phase helps make sure you understand the chain gimmick from CEZ, which, if I remember correctly, can help with finding some the other hidden emblems in CEZ.

Metal Sonic: Oh god this race annoyed me at first. For Sonic, this race is torture unless you are a platforming master, and Tails and Knux have a harder time keeping up due to their lack of a formidable top speed. However it still is doable, and leads into what is the hardest boss in the game for me. For one, he is constantly trying to fly right behind you, so often you will miss and either ram into the electric fence (which due to this makes me wish it acted like a normal fence like the electric fence in the Death Egg's Eye stage in Sonic the Fighters) or you will fly straight into the pit. Then, of you manage to reach it, the pinch phase is too damn long. He constantly dashing towards you as you are trying to dodge and just wonder how long he will keep up this attack straight from hell. So, overall, I do not mind the race, but the battle, considering it is harder than even Brak himself, it could use some dumbing down.

Brak Eggman: I like this one. The boss is still a challenge, like a final boss should be, but it does not have the annoyance and all-round cheapness of the 2.0 version of this boss. And personally, considering you can dodge most of his attacks if you try, I do not have a problem with the knock back unlike most people seem to.

Conclusion: Overall, I enjoyed the bosses in 2.1, with the exception of Metal Sonic's battle (once again, the battle I hated, not the race). And quite franky, I cannot wait to see how 2.2 will improve the bosses when it comes out, however many years that may be.

Interesting to see others' opinions on the current bosses in the game.

Egg Mobile

While better than 2.0, I do feel that the pinch phase for this boss is a bit TOO difficult (considering he's the FIRST BOSS) - normal phase is perfect though - enough to hit those who don't pay too much attention, but easily dodgable for those who do. (First boss~!)
My strategy for the pinch phase? Abuse mercy invincibility.

Egg Slimer

Easiest boss just got easier, thanks to the walls on the cart and the slime stick duration - they're good changes.. but this boss REALLY doesn't feel like a boss. At all. This thing belongs in the ranks of the Crawlas and SDURFs.

Sea Egg

Most annoying boss in the game, by far - this fight needs to be scrapped and remade, I think. His normal phase isn't too bad (apart from the fact that if you hit the water, say goodbye to any rings you're carrying - as the zaps are so conveniently timed to be about ~1 second after your mercy invincibility runs out) - the Pinch Phase, however.. quite the torture, especially if you're playing as a character without a good forward-attack, like Tails or Greeneyes. I often opt to skip this boss now, it's just too much of a pain to fight and not all that fun at all.

Eggscalibur

Fun, if a little tedious. Puts a neat little take on the "moving wall of death" thing videogames do, anyway. Although if this fight could be improved, perhaps make it so that it's a player action which opens Eggman's cage? (Although the only thing I can think of is 1.09.4-esque buttons, so maybe not)

Metal Sonic

The race? Really fun. Tails and Knuckles have a HUGE advantage here, though Sonic isn't too bad either thanks to his Speed Thok. The conveyor-jump glitch is a little annoying, but you get used to it. The fight, however.. Well, before the Pinch Phase it's actually quite fun. Once the Pinch Phase starts, it's basically hit him and then wait for ages. I preferred the Pinch Phase back in 2.1.6(?) actually, where he had a chance of failing his attack - made the fight a whole lot less tedious and boring.

Brak Eggman

While this fight IS fun.. it's no final boss. Final bosses are supposed to be difficult, and this just isn't. It took me over 20 lives to beat Metal Sonic on my first try.. while here I only used three. His attacks are nice and interesting, and keep the fight tense (well, the rockets do, anyway) - Only problem with his attacks is that the "rail ring" attack has too little warning time.. although getting hit by that attack has little punishment, so eh.

It's not that the pinch phase of the first boss is difficult, it's just unintuitive. Literally you can just sit there in spindash and he can't possibly hurt you.

I preferred the Pinch Phase back in 2.1.6(?) actually, where he had a chance of failing his attack - made the fight a whole lot less tedious and boring.

Actually, he missed this attack 1/2 times, he always missed the first one, tough.

It's not that the pinch phase of the first boss is difficult, it's just unintuitive. Literally you can just sit there in spindash and he can't possibly hurt you.
I don't see how that makes it unintuitive. Sure, if spindashing in place were the only way to harm him, it would be unintuitive, but you're not required or even expected to do that. The "normal" (and I would say intuitive) way to hit him is by jumping at him from below so the spikes don't hit you.

They're all shit.

However, every single boss in every single canon Sonic game has been shit too so I guess it's living up to the legacy. Sonic bosses are basically by definition never fun so it's not like it impacts the game that much.

Nevermind the fact that the camera in this game flies around like a speed-mainlining hyperactive kid making hitting any boss with any precision basically impossible.

inb4 SRB2 defense force leaps to handwave away and downplay these issues

They're all shit.

However, every single boss in every single canon Sonic game has been shit too so I guess it's living up to the legacy. Sonic bosses are basically by definition never fun so it's not like it impacts the game that much.

Nevermind the fact that the camera in this game flies around like a speed-mainlining hyperactive kid making hitting any boss with any precision basically impossible.

inb4 SRB2 defense force leaps to handwave away and downplay these issues

learn to adapt

They're all shit.

Way to be negative.

Anyway,

GHZ3: Not bad, I have the same complaints/suggestions as everyone else here: one less spikeball, little less laser turning speed. Still has a slight tendency to bounce way up in the air IIRC. Easy enough for the experienced player.

THZ3: Since slime is now goo and doesn't hurt anymore, this should be reworked a bit -- or toxic waste placed in THZ1/2, and the slime projectiles recolored accordingly. Though it's nice to be able to thok in here now.

DSZ3: There should be more time to get out of the water. Also, the pseudo-Eggmen should really be more obvious.

CEZ3: The chain-hang gimmick towards the end of the fight should be more obvious.

ERZ3: Love the race, but the fight tends to drag on a bit too long. The part where Metal Sonic bounces off the walls should be nerfed a bit.

ERZC: I beat Brak on my first try, so I think it's safe to say New Brak is just not difficult enough.

All in all, none of these are downright terrible, but I tend to skip DSZ3 & CEZ3 during re-playthoughs.

EDIT: Also,

>Homophobic insults and "GIT GUD"

The SRB2 fanbase, everyone.

While I disagree with homophobic insults, "GIT GUD" is pretty much going to be the response of any community you visit.

Last edited:

By any chance are you playing in analog mode here? (okay yes I know you're tempbanned right now, so reply when you're not I suppose)

That topic was pure comedy gold from what I've seen.

Anyway, about the bosses:

GFZ - Nice changes, it's not so utterly pathetic at least.
THZ - Good enough boss, no reason to change it too much.
DSZ - The most criticized and yes, it was rather sadistic first few times playing it.
CEZ - Quite an interesting concept, I like it.
ERZ3 - Pinch phase is way too long.
ERCZ - Good enough Final Boss, at least for now.

I tend to agree with the general consensus. Mostly there's things that I felt pretty stupid for not being able to identify without help:

THZ
It took me a few tries to realize I was losing rings when I bouncing off the slimer's spring. Damaging goop also makes a little less sense now that the THZ slime has been changed but the boss is still pretty solid.

DSZ
Someone had to explain the DSZ decoys to me, I could not pick it up on my own. I've never liked the use of a water zap as a hazard, but I'm not sure how I'd recommend it be refined.

CEZ
I would like to see Eggscalibur with a method to make him vulnerable rather than simply waiting, which might help to add a little bit of difficulty to the boss.

ERZ
I like the Metal Sonic fight for the most part, but the fact that he's a small target makes him really frustrating to catch when he's circling you. Half the time he was off-screen, I assume he's probably easier with mouselook though.

Brak Eggman, my only complaint is the fact that it's really ugly, and that it's not really clear how to dodge the crosshairs.

Egg Mobile
It was good as it was. It´s perfect as it is.

Egg Slimer
It´s funny how the most modern boss back in the day it´s now the most outdated one. It needs something to be better, some kind of upgrade like the first one... I just don´t know what. I think the pinch mode base movement is ok, but it´s not too deadly for being a pinch mode (1st boss is harder). Why not make the combat in a slime room with Eggman coming in and out of slime using the physics? That could make an interesting combat for sure... Or if the train idea is kept, why not travel through it during the fight?

Sea Egg
It´s a good boss. I loved how I was trolled the first time, losing life after life without knowing which one was the real one. I think it´s mostly fine, although sometimes falling into water punish you too fastly... It´s specially annoying when playing with Tails, missing a hit because Eggman goes down too fast, and getting hit because that.

Eggscalibur
I love the first part of the fight, although it gets boring once you figure out the pattern. The pinch mode looks great, but I don´t find it that fun (although using the chains is a wonderful idea). I just think Eggman shouldn´t stand steady on the pinch mode... It just feels stupid that you can literally be under him for hours... An the same could be said about Tails and Knuckles getting outside on the first part. I would put some kind of attack on the first part (even if it´s easily avoidable) if you get up there too early, and some kind of movement on the second part, although that would make the boss harder to get hit.

Metal Sonic

The race needs some nerfing, specially if the final boss is going to be as it is. Just don´t start the countdown if Metal Sonic is not ahead of you, and downgrade a bit the gravity room with the moving platforms...

Brak Eggman

Better than 2.0, but it stills feels somehow off, specially for a final boss. If this is just one part of the fight, it´s ok to keep it. If it´s not, I think it should be somehow merged with the 2.0 one. Just change the missile sprite so it has grabbing part (making it a lot more obvious), and make part of the fight based on the lava flows and the other part part based on using the missiles. All the attacks of the boss are mostly ok, although the 3x normal missile feels too close to the Cyberdemon :P

I don't think new players understand what exactly the countdown means in the Metal Sonic race. I mean, if the map was any other aesthetic theme it would be obvious, but Egg Rock Zone already has plenty of sections with space countdowns. How is the player supposed to know they didn't trip a space countdown timer when they reach the final stretch? This was my confusion at first, even though I figured it out after a few tries.

To make it more intuitive would really be as simple as just changing the graphic used for that specific countdown. Maybe add a checkered flag or something, I dunno.

Well, here is my opinion:

Dat First EggMobile:
Nothing to say here.

Train Egg Slimer:
So, they putted a barrier on the sides of the train, eh? Child's Game.

Troll Sea Egg:
I see everyone is having problems with his clones. But finally, I have a solution!
1st: Use headphones.
2nd: Try to feel from where is coming the rocket sound.
3rd: If it doesn't appear, the real one is the one from afar.
4th: If it comes from the right, obvious answer.

Very hard, until i noticed that.

Eggscalibur: A great boss. Hoping for more bosses in the next zones.

Metal Sonic Race: Very annoying, hard and impossible at first, cuz I dunno how to beat the race. (Don't blame at me, I'm just a very bad platformer if playing as Sonic) I played better using Tails/Knux. (Obvious reasons)

Metal Sonic Battle: Very difficult at start, cuz I just thinked I was hitting him when it spins. Obviously, I died all the time, until I noticed I was doing ridiculous. Even today, it's a bit difficult to me.

Brak Eggman: I defeated him in 5 minutes. (Using all my 5 lives i had in the moment)

Brak Eggman

Better than 2.0, but it stills feels somehow off, specially for a final boss. If this is just one part of the fight, it´s ok to keep it. If it´s not, I think it should be somehow merged with the 2.0 one. Just change the missile sprite so it has grabbing part (making it a lot more obvious), and make part of the fight based on the lava flows and the other part part based on using the missiles. All the attacks of the boss are mostly ok, although the 3x normal missile feels too close to the Cyberdemon :P
Bolded is not happening. The entire point of a new final boss was to make how to hit it far more obvious - deliberately jumping into an attack, when all the other attacks of enemies would hurt you for doing so, is unintuitive as all hell, and no sprite change is going to make that any less so.

I see everyone is having problems with his clones. But finally, I have a solution!
1st: Use headphones.
2nd: Try to feel from where is coming the rocket sound.
3rd: If it doesn't appear, the real one is the one from afar.
4th: If it comes from the right, obvious answer.

Very hard, until i noticed that.

You don't need to do that. All you need is to watch carefully to the one with moving mustache. Just concentrate and you can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back