Battle and Ringslinger

Honestly, I like both - Battle's new and fresh, providing an interesting new spin while also being more comfortable for newer/gamepad players. While Ringslinger's a more classic FPS mode. I find myself preferring Battle right now, but that's because I've been playing Ringslinger for over 10 years, while Battle is very fresh. Plus, Battle's emphasis on shields and not using Weapon Panels makes getting hit far less punishing - something I really like.

Though I'll admit, I haven't played that much of Battle to form a full opinion yet - I've only played it for about 2 days and only as a single character!

Though honestly, the main problem I have with these modes is that they encourage bullying new players too much, especially in the standard VS modes. Both standard Match and Battle mode (Arena?) has this, where specifically targetting newer or unskilled players grants you *far* more points than actually going for fair fights, which obviously would push new people away from playing the mode, and maybe competitive modes entirely. I definitely feel like there needs to be increased benefit to attacking more skilled players.

CTF is a lot better, and IMO is the best balanced competitive mode in the game, Battle and Ringslinger alike. Bullying players offers no real benefit, so new players can easily get into the game while experienced players skillfully play the real objectives. I've played this a bunch in both Battle and Ringslinger, though I find myself preferring Battle's version a bit more just because of the hectic action which can occur, especially on less wide-open maps like Lime Forest. (Battle-CTF doesn't work well on maps with lots of open space though, like Silver Cascade)

Battle also has Survival, which I like the idea of but haven't played at all yet.

Personally, I wouldn't mind in the slightest if Battle was made official somehow, but I'd be sad if it completely replaced Ringslinger. I feel like both can coexist.

Last edited:
Also want to note that regardless of your opinion on ringslinger, eggrobo tag is simply superior to standard tag / h&s in every way.

I touched battle mode for a few minutes today and it was apparent that the mode would probably be better off as an official mode compared to current ringslinger modes. While both can exist simultaneously as official modes in the game, I feel like ringslinger needs some sort of changeup if we're looking at multiplayer modes.

Just to avoid getting anyone's hopes up, the odds of BattleMod becoming official are pretty unlikely. This has less to do with the suitability of the gameplay for vanilla, and more to do with the amount of infrastructure that would be necessary to work BattleMod into the default game. Imagine the upkeep, the control setups, and resources that are already necessary to maintain the extinct game mode that is ringslinger -- we're talking special moves, unique item mechanics, collision physics, and game modes in addition to the extra amount of maps that would need to be included to the game to accomodate Battle game modes. This is not counting extra-specialized mechanics like Egg Robo Tag, which essentially hijacks the player mechanics in order to accomplish even more gametype-specific stuff.

It is more realistic to simply add onto our existing hardcode + lua framework to make it easier for content creators to update unofficial mods for future versions of SRB2. Any community mods that do make it in would likely be vetted partly on the basis of how difficult it would be to update and maintain its content.

As someone who likes playing actual Doom I wanted to love ringslinger, but oh my god, Sonic platforming mechanics + fps shooting do NOT work. I miss Doomguy's quick acceleration and ability to weave every time I play ringslinger and it's just...not fun. And personally my way of fixing it would just be "doom netplay with Sonic characters" and that's not really a satisfying solution, lol

As someone who likes playing actual Doom I wanted to love ringslinger, but oh my god, Sonic platforming mechanics + fps shooting do NOT work. I miss Doomguy's quick acceleration and ability to weave every time I play ringslinger and it's just...not fun. And personally my way of fixing it would just be "doom netplay with Sonic characters" and that's not really a satisfying solution, lol
Honestly if I wanted to play an actual FPS I would load up Doom or Quake 3 Arena, not Sonic.

Sorry for saying it but I think that any form of shooting mechanics just does not belong to Sonic at all (yes, even the mech shooting from the SA series and Shadow the Edgelord game).

This is why I preferred Battle Mode because it fits more in Sonic.

Honestly I love both game types. Battle adds a lot of things that should be in normal SRB2, like the parry movement, collision damage between players, bubble items, custom color in normal shield and much more. Using this features in a ringslinger gamemode is pretty fun, I always add this mod because of that, even if i won't play arena mode.

Parrying ringshots it's hard and ton of fun when hit in the right time to avoid the damage.
Hitting someone just thoking or spindash it could be fun in a race, in match could be a command like physicaldamage on/off.
Bubble items could be a feature to design maps.
custom color in normal shield it's just stylish and cute.

Besides Battle mode adds gamemodes like arena, survival, egg robo tag etc... it adds those features, that would be useful in SRB2.
With you see Battle mode complex to programming, in my opinion, the solution for this is removing special ability, they are hard to use and really broken in 2D maps, they could be only an add on.

But this is just my opinion. XD

Last edited:
I personally prefer Battle, the rinslinger is an shoot mode, and i am horrible shooting, and in battle you can hit the players, it's hard playing with characters like Tails, or Amy, but characters like Fang are very broken...

Last edited:
If I'm honest, not to offend the creators of battlemod or anything, but I LOATHE battle with a passion, and prefer ringslinger by a mile. Battle, it's just, the whole using fighting moves really never stuck with me. Also, this might just be me, but battle is incredibly non-bad internet friendly. Fr, your internet isn't good, and you won't enjoy battle one bit. This might just be me, and I have nothing against the people who like battle, but I just hate the mode, how it plays. While I do believe that the older versions of ringslinger (1.094 or 2.0/2.1), I still prefer ringslinger, even if it means having to deal with the tails mains sniping me with bomb and rail rings from a mile, as it feels incredibly satisfying to land a scatter/bomb/rail on a player and things can get really fun and intense should everyone have fair playing ground. Also, as long as not too many mods are added, it is far better than Battle imo. While I will admit, learning how to shoot correctly and playing with a controller (BELIEVE ME, I KNOW HOW IT FEELS, I PLAYED WITH IT FOR 2 YEARS) can be both an annoyance and challenging, I do prefer it over Battle, and would personally be crestfallen should it be removed (Pretty sure it isn't going to, but still).

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back