This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
SMS Tutorial part 1

Let's finally get this moving. I have a few new things for everyone. (link if video preview breaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P3ntq4W68A )

watch

First is part 1 of the tutorial. Part 2 is releases in 2 days. That video's already done, I'm just gonna tweak SMSreborn-v2 a little so I can release that alongside it.

Next is HMScheat.lua. This spawns you in as HMS rather than SMS, skipping the transformation animation. HMScheat still obeys server rules and limits, so if HMS is turned off or the limit has been reached, you won't transform.

Finally is SMSaltmusic. If you get sick of SMS' current custom music(Speedshoes, panic theme, HMS theme) or wanted something else, add one of these. (Works in netgames even as a joiner)

Attachments

• HMScheat.lua
    1.8 KB · Views: 270
  • SMSaltmusic.pk3
    3.4 MB · Views: 237
  • SMSaltmusic-meme.pk3
    2.3 MB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Released SMSreborn-v2!

v2 of SMSreborn is out now!

Save&Load, 2 new moves, less bugs, less lag, better competitive balance, more options, etc. Changelog is in the main post!

Also, part 2 of the tutorial is out. Check it out here!

All the options(for SMS anyway) are laid out, so let me know how you're dealing with the controls. I'll think about adding in extra control options to make things more simple for everyone. I've had ideas like pressing spin to toggle between thoks instead of holding the button. Or I can do something like Alfredo's version and let SMS home and walljump from a speed thok status by pressing jump. ...which is horrible, but simplicity is just that important to some people. Maybe "hold spin" to dropdash rather than tap, constant autosprint, auto-spincharge, spin to stomp if you've turned on the jump-homing-attacks, etc.

Also, apparently I didn't tick the re-usable box....my bad. To clear things up, any and all of my publicly released work may be re-used with credit.

Hoo boy... SMS is a pretty OP character when it comes to his moves and the optional HMS transformation.

I also successfully performed the Ring Burst. Take a look.
srb20003.gif

The screenshot was taken with V1, but I'll use V2 from now on.
The way you execute the Ring Burst, apparently, is when you're in Boost Mode and SMS enters his flashing state after stopping, you need to hold Back and press Jump before the flashing state runs out. Learned this from the SMS tutorial.

Last edited:
SMSreborn v.2.1 release!

SMSreborn V2.1 is now out! Fixed bugs and balance issues with BattleMod, and made SMS a lot more fun to fight against with the new critical clash mechanic for BattleMod. Getting SMS back after losing him should also be less frustrating!

Also made some other changes and bug fixes to improve the experience.
Not a huge update, but check out the changelog anyway!

-Fixed SMS' infinite attack & defense priority in Battle Mode that plagued SMSreborn-v2. Rejoice, Knuckles players.
-Fixed SMS being able to multi-homing attack after a homing attempt when he shouldn't (Battle Mode.)
-Removed a bug where SMS' stomp wouldn't work properly with combat shoes.
-SMS' lightspeed attack no longer breaks when wearing speedshoes.

-SMS now varies voice clips for Airboost and Blinddash. RIP "Go!!" spam
-SMSblast Mode is now called "Legend Mode" and has SMS' 2.0 walljump+1.09.4 multi-homing thok.
-The ringburst can now alternatively be done by double tapping custom1 on the ground.(boostmode-only) Practically necessary for the "Simple" control scheme.
-Afterimages when HMS' spindash AoE attack hits enemies.
-If you've never saved options, you'll now get assigned a random SMS color outside of coop modes when joining a game.

(Battle Mode)
-New critical combo mechanic! Any strong stun you afflict on SMS players will now become a critical stun. Hit SMS during this stun for a critical FINISHER, sending him flying and gaining you even more bonus points! This mechanic should allow non-SMS players to be much more aggressive, and also make it alot more fun to fight SMS in general. Aim to clash your attacks as hard as you can with SMS, as this will now give you the advantage and open opportunities!

-SMS' stomp now bounces a bit unless moving very fast to present clearer openings.

-If Fang is firmly grounded, neither shooting or sprinting, he can now resist SMS' spin-type attacks much like Knuckles.

-SMS is now refunded up to 10 rings when detransformed by a non-critical finish depending on ring count before getting hit. He also gets a pity or force shield depending on ring count. This should make it easier to get back into the game in busy netgames.

-SMS' flames inflict a more stun.

Critical Clash! Notice how Knuckles clashed less hard than SMS, giving him an edge in recovery. Hit SMS during this animation for some real damage!
srb20156.gif

A little help?

Hey, uh, GS?
I'm currently working on my very first character on the MB and I'm having trouble which I should go with.
My current idea is a Sonic and Knuckles fusion (see thread in Editing for details).
My other two ideas are a literal flying sonic (using Flying Flare's swimming sprites for the glide (single) and the swim) and another literal flying sonic (using other sprites from other sonics on the forums or from my downloads).
I can't believe I'm asking for this, but, can you help? You're the best I can turn to.

Hey, uh, GS?
I'm currently working on my very first character on the MB and I'm having trouble which I should go with.
My current idea is a Sonic and Knuckles fusion (see thread in Editing for details).
My other two ideas are a literal flying sonic (using Flying Flare's swimming sprites for the glide (single) and the swim) and another literal flying sonic (using other sprites from other sonics on the forums or from my downloads).
I can't believe I'm asking for this, but, can you help? You're the best I can turn to.

there's the help thread for that, this is not the right place to ask

Except the fact that most pros are busy nowadays, so this is the best call for help I can afford.

I advise you not to hijack other help and releases threads to ask for assistance on your mod. You can instead create an Editing Help thread to ask for assistance there, or join the official Discord server if you're of age, but keep in mind that requesting people make assets for you is not allowed.

I'm gonna be honest. This character feels like Sonic Unleashed but a tad bit faster. It's like the Werehog and Sonic meshed together, and again, really fast.

I'm gonna be honest. This character feels like Sonic Unleashed but a tad bit faster. It's like the Werehog and Sonic meshed together, and again, really fast.

That's quite an accurate description right there.

Now only if we could- *jazz band starts playing loudly* OH COME ON!

Hoo boy... Where do I even *start* on SMS and how freaking fun, powerful and complex he is?

He takes a design that was at one time cringy, and... really improved on it. You made SMS stand out in a good way with all those custom animations, the effects and even those extra sounds! I especially love the HUD and menus~ It can all be a bit hard to look at, but thankfully I bound change view- going in first person helps with seeing where you're going and helps controlling him a ton. He perfectly makes you look, sound, and feel like you can do anything.

I know people are having a hard time learning the controls, and so am I definitely, but they give you so many options to play with! He's like a fighting game character in that you have the basics at your fingertips and it's really all you need, but those special combos are tempting... and they're stylish as hell to pull off. The fact they can be customized so much is a godsend for those who have trouble! But honestly, cutting control options would be really nerfing him. Removing and simplifying tech IMO just makes things less impressive... I'd go for the route of adding even more options where you can instead~

And while he essentially breaks level design... you still need that SRB2 level knowledge to use him to his full potential. Those tricky jumps where you might feel like you have to slow down may have a wall conveniently nearby to leap from and skip the platforms, and more! You just need to think differently about the levels in relation to SMS.
For instance, Aerial Garden has so many sections where you'd normally need to slow down or stop for a platform... and if you don't know SMS' moves nor the level layout, you're gonna take it rather slowly at best, take a game over at worst. But mastered? SMS can literally make a daring leap off the platform wall, wall hop off another platform and boost across. There's probably way, way more efficient methods to do that too!

My only gripes... would likely be the the somewhat awkward jog cycle, HMS' lack of spin frames (or really a bunch of frames), no option to keep Golden Shoes from level to level. Others covered bigger issues already and you crushed a ton with the last update.

Anyways, thank you for making so many improvements over all this time, and bringing us a really fun character to see and play as.

I-Is that Touhou metal for the HMS theme?? And a SSJ3 remix too!? I'd love to get the links to them, they're badass and really fit HMS! (Speaking of Touhou, with all the nukes going off as HMS, wonder when we'll get a Nuclear music option? Aha~)

SMSreborn v.2.2 released!

SMSreborn v2.2 is now out! Check the starting post for the changelog and download!

Sir, I require to know where that speed shoes music you added is from.

Look up "Super Sonic Speed Nightcore"

I'm gonna be honest. This character feels like Sonic Unleashed but a tad bit faster.

You mean his legacy mode, or...? He was at some point "SMSunleashed" when Sonic Unleashed just got revealed. A "tad faster" is definitely underselling it, though!

In-depth review

Love the enthusiasm! I'll make options and controls a priority once I get back to SMS as my main project. SMS is never going to be easy to master due to his ridiculous speed/potential/array of moves, and I know accessibility can come at the cost of potential, so I'll thread carefully.

Look up "Star Spangled Banner" by Demetori for Hyper Mystic Sonic's theme. As for the SSJ3 remix in the meme thing...I don't actually recall it's origin.

Brak getting Comet Haymaker'd in 11.60 seconds.
https://gfycat.com/uniformlankygaur

I love that people are still showing off speedruns and haymakers. I like making mini-challenges on the spot personally.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back